1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I make some Flash Targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I want to try and make some, I read on here once to take some chalk dust used by carpenters and put some in the top of the target and then put tape over it. So I got some blue chalk dust and did this but have not tried it yet. Is this the best way??

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Cut some circles out of tin card stock that just fits inside the targets.

Place a bunch of targets open side up and pour chalk int each one.

press the card stock into the targets and a couple of drops of glue on the edges to hold them in place.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Try Tannerite!

4. turmite

turmite Member

Targetmaster, I stayed up until after midnight this morning (Sat) making these kind of targets for a fun shoot for our high school trap team. 50 youngsters, and I promise you, they had a ball!

We have tried the chalk in red, white and blue, and the best results were achieved with the white and blue. The red is not really a red, but more of a reddish brown. I also bought some powered paint (Tempera) in red, yellow and purple. It worked, but not nearly as well as the chalk.

To trap the powder, I cut circles of plain typing paper, and glued those to the top rim of the target. Best results was plain old yellow wood glue applied to a thin border on the outside of the circle. Press on, let it set a few minutes, then use something to apply smoothing around the ring.

We shot 41......we some were shot at, but you get the idea. Hope you have good results. I know our kids loved them!

Mike

5. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Lay a target out on a piece of cardboard. Cut out the circle. Turn target upside down. Fill 1/2 full with baby powder. Press card board circle in to hold the powder in. Easiest by far. Birdtracker

6. turmite

turmite Member

birdracker, I hadn't thought about baby powder! Great idea. I will try the cardboard pressed as well!

Ahab, thank you for the pressed cardboard suggestion as well!

Mike

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

But with all of that stuff, inside the targets, will they stack in a pat trap?

Ed Yanchok

8. turmite

turmite Member

Yes, and they fly just like the non powered ones.

Mike

9. oz

oz Active Member

tannerite won't work. needs a centerfire rifle to set it off. oz

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Jeez I had to look at again to realize you were asking about clay pigeons! Duh the old brain cells are moving slow this morning for me. Good ideas. Bill

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

[​IMG]

This is the way they were at Cardinal Center for the bunker traps last year.

The sticker looked like it was die cut to fit over the top of the target after the indentation was filled with powder or colored chalk....

They worked great, and were a real crowd pleaser.

Dave in SC

12. south.texas.dead.I

south.texas.dead.I TS Member

I'm not sure if you already made them or not but I spoke with a rep from white flyer regarding this he told me to use carpenters chalk I believe, use their normal clays with the little indenting pour some powder into that and he said a store that can do plain circle stickers that fit over those nicely but he went back to the back of his shop and gave me one or two hundred stickers that he gives away for promotion (to be stuck onto windshields and such).

13. south.texas.dead.I

I'm not sure if you already made them or not but I spoke with a rep from white flyer regarding this he told me to use carpenters chalk I believe, use their normal clays with the little indenting pour some powder into that and he said a store that can do plain circle stickers that fit over those nicely but he went back to the back of his shop and gave me one or two hundred stickers that he gives away for promotion (to be stuck onto windshields and such).

14. south.texas.dead.I

15. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

We made some using the cheapest white baking flour (Food Lion brand) we could find. Covered the bottom with thin cardboard, they really went PUFF when hit centered.

16. turmite

turmite Member

I would like to know what material they use for the ones that puff hot pink when it!

Mike

17. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Our guys do the lucky bird with the baby powder and duck tape works good the silver tape startled me then I HEARD LOST ! UGH
    Pete

18. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I don't care how you do it! I just thank anyone who is willing to give this time and extra effort to the kids!---AND---to those who are willing to help that person with good info! Way to go trap shooters!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
chalk filled clay target
chalk filled targets
chalk tannerite
clay pigeons that have chalk inside
how to add chalk with tannerite
tannerite and chalk
taping taneritie to chalk

what to put inside clay target chalk