1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

How can I lengthen a stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blockwood, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blockwood

Blockwood TS Member

I just bought this Citori with a short stock! It currently has a 13-1/2" LOP. I am 6'1" tall and want to make it work for me!
    First, how do I determine my correct LOP?
    Second, what can I do to make this gun work for me while making the gun look good at the same time?
    New stock , spacers, gracoil? Something else?
    Thank you for any help.
  2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to purchase an adjustable recoil device that will serve you in two ways. One, it will lengthen your stock, and help eliminate some
    recoil.

Secondly, you will know when you have the correct lop. It will feel just right. Many top shooters often say you want to get as close to the receiver when shooting, as long as you do not hit your nose on your thumb when shooting.

If your lop is to short, you will normally hit your nose on your thumb on extreme angles from positions #1 and 5.

Obviously, if you don't want to spend the money for the recoil device, you can use spacers, black and white preferably, or ask a gunsmith to give you a piece of wood that has been previously cut off from another shotgun.

One last thing, take the time to shoot with different lop's as you will usually find the one that feels good and you are able to powder targets.

Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri
  3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

...or you could use a stock stretcher.
  4. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Buy a thick pad.. 1.25" then add a 1/2", or more if needed, spacer... I glue mine together with super glue prior to fitting... I also rough up the mating surfaces before glueing....I let them sit in a vice for a while to really stick them good...grind both at same time... This will give you 1.75" to 2" I am one of them folks who hates recoil devices... I like a solid stock and maybe a adjustable comb...
  5. Blockwood

Blockwood TS Member

Steve, thank you for the info. I think a gracoil is my best choice, although if I can alter my board stretcher to work on my stock I will try your suggestion "booger".
    I will add a thick pad to the gracoil to give me the length I need.
    Thanks fellas.
  6. hoot619

hoot619 Member

BoogerBlue, you failed to include instructions on how to the use stock stretcher

and where to purchase it. I imagine asking at gun club would get results and most likely a few comments. LOL Ken U
  7. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Member

.......or, you can do like the British do; take it to a gunsmith or stockmaker and have him glue a fairly close matching block of the correct length on the butt, then shape it to fit the rest of the stock - then refinish all.

We Americans are not satisfied with that, for the most part, however.....

Mike
  8. dalog

dalog Member

Get one of these.
  9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Member

Do the Graco.
    I have to use one on every gun I buy, unless I shell out mega-bucks for custom stock work.
    dju
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.