1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How Big of Bore ???.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by WesleyB, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

How much oversize bore do you think would be best. Gun is .742 now.
    Thanks

WesleyB

2. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. I usually shoot a .784 or .055 overbore 12 Ga. It is finicky in cold weather or with very light loads. Wad, powder and primer selection are more important than with more common barrel dimensions. IMHO Ron Renouf

3. WesleyB

PerazziBigBore

How much of your barrel is .752? I want a nice pattern that i can choke down instead of using cylinder chokes trying to open it up on the 16yd line.

Also who does work in over boring? I am in Texas.

WesleyB

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Wesley.....My Perazzi is bored to .742" and choked to .708". It patterns 83%, +/- at 40yds. The work was done by Tom Wilkinson. Each individual barrel will respond differently to back boring. Tom works each barrel he does until he gets the pattern he desires. He may back bore the barrel to .738, .740, .742, or whatever it takes to get the barrel to do what he wants it to do. There is really no average "best" overbore dimension. The "best" overbore dimension is whatever is the best for your particular barrel......Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Roger Eubanks did my Alfermann (he does the factory barrels). It is wonderful. He explained to me that the larger the bore, the less constriction you need for the choke. My gun now has a bore of .760 with a choke of .034 and is plenty tight. (patterns 83% at 40 yards). The original bore of .740 was choked .039 and was about the same pattern. Back boring did lighten the barrel weight enough to tell a positive difference in your swing. AJ

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Wesley Would you please explain just what your trying to do . Also why would you use a cylinder choke for singles ? I have seen people post about useing more open chokes for singles but have never had anyone said just what the reason is . I can understand useing a LF or IM or even a M choke but Cylinder ,makes very little sense to me and would be very interested in your thinking .

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

We got some BIG BORES at our club!......Sorry....just couldn't resist! It was the Devil!

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

WesleyB Dan Thome hit the nail on the head what he said is what you need to have done if you are going to back bore it at all. 742 is a larger than adverage bore to start with what is bothering you about your patterns as they are ?? That will help assisting you with what you desire.
    Buddy

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what, WesleyB. If your gun has been very carefully tested and proven to shoot straight right-to-left, then your bore size is perfect.

If it hasn't been tested, bore size is the last thing you should be worrying about.

Neil

10. WesleyB

ALF-99 and others,
    Thanks for all the input on bore size. I have read alot of the post here talking about big bores. So I ask how big a bore.

Here is my crazy thoughts on why I ask this question.

No matter how big of pattern you have, to my thinking it has to be filled in with no holes for a target to fly thru. My daughter is a 4-H shooter, shooting 6 different games. On trap she thinks she has to shoot a mod or a full on the 16 yard line. I want a good full large pattern from a cylinder or larger choke for her at that yardage. I showed her I could make dust out of targets from the 27 yard line with cylinder chokes in her 28" barrel XS Skeet.

Here is my thoughts of why. I know you point a shotgun and not aim one, but if you shoot from the 16 like you have full chokes in your target should be in the center of your shot pattern. Then when you are shooting several targets during the course of a day and as you get tired and maybe behind a few targets, your shot pattern is large with no holes in it and you will not drop those targets. Hoping to pick up 3-5 targets per round or 100 rounds etc.

Why large bore?
    To open the pattern up as much as possible. To me you can always constrict it with tighter choke tubes. Thats why I ask how big can u bore from the guys with the experience.
    I know you have to test, test, test to get the right mix for a good pattern.

Hope you guys get my drift on my thinking. It is hard for me to put my thoughts down on paper correctly.

A wise man seeks council.
    So to me wise is to ask questions of council. Council means people that have been there and done that.

Thanks
    WesleyB

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

There's a way to answer this question, WB, and it's easy.

Assuming your daughter shoots fairly rapidly, load her gun with 1 1/8 oz. light 8 shells and shoot two or three patterns at paper at 35 yards, starting with her fullest choke. When by switching chokes the pattern drops to a count of under 400, stop there and shoot the choke before that.

Neil

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

For the average shooter any bore over .740 can be more of a problem then it is worth . The way I read your post I see you think the more open choke makes for a bigger pattern . You need to put you idea on paper .

I really think you will see a very small difference in the size of the pattern . In this game there is really only two chokes full and fuller .

A shooter MUST learn to shoot a full choke then after you learn to hit most of your targets (95% ) try something more open but never anything under .20

Some people think a more open choke gives them a better chance of hitting the target . Bottom line is if you can,t hit MOST of your singles with a full choke your not going to do better with an open choke .

13. WesleyB

I want to thank everyone that posted. I have printed it off for reference. I will give this alot of thought before I do anything drastic. Also alot of testing and pattern. I thank you for your experience and sharing of knowledge.

Wesley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.