1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how big do racoons get

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by acss, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

my wife ran over a racoon -swears it had to weighed 30 pounds?? your thots ?

2. new loader

new loader Member

Raccoons can get BIG. Click link for facts.

3. acss

thanks- i lost the bet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have seen a very few big females near Grand Rapids, MI stand on their hind legs and reach down into 30 gallon garbage cans. These probably weighed 15 pounds or more.

Most of the raccoons I have seen in Kentucky were much smaller. We had a nightly visit last Spring by a mother and four young that were real neat to watch.

We put out sunflower seed on the ground for cardinals and some would be left at night when the raccoon family would show up. The babies would stick together in a little group and hiss at each other. When mom started feeding by feeling for seed with her front feet, they would imitate her and also find seed.

They can be a pest and you have to keep your garbage cans tightly shut. But it was fun watching the mother and her four young.

Ed Ward

5. acss

ED- THANKS - BUT LET ME GIVE YOU SOME PERSONAL ADVICE - THEY DONT CLEAR THE BOTTOM FRONT BUMPER OF A TOYOTA PRIUS!!! MY WIFE SAYS THEY ALL LOOK SMALL UNTIL YOU HAVE AN INSURANCE CLAIM!!! SHE BEEN KNOWN TO TELL SOME WHOPPING STORIES, SO WE DOUBTED THE 30POUND CLAIM SHE MADE. newloader POSTED A GREAT SITE OF WHICH NOW I WILL HAVE TO EAT CROW AND GIVE HER A BACK RUB!!!!!!!!!!
    AFTER LOSING THE BET????

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Losing a back rub bet is good as that usually leads to something much better! Tom Rhoads

7. acss

I STILL WANTED TO WIN THE BET- JUST THE PRINCIPLE!!!!!!

8. Smity

Smity Member

Raccoons can definitely get over 30 lbs. I caught one in my back yard once in a have-a-hart trap. Never weighed it, but when letting it go, I couldn't lift it off the tailgate of my truck with one arm. That was the biggest one I ever saw in person. I heard the record is 61 lbs. Take a look at this one:
    [​IMG]

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Take that Tron.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I shot one near a land fill, about 12years ago. It was in the news paper .weighed 41 lbs. It had rabies The suprizing thing it could still move pretty fast. I shot it 3 times with a 223.

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

45 lbs is not uncommon. A coon is a very interesting pet until they reach puberty (about 9 months) Then they are hell on wheels and very capable (and more than willing) to chew the living $&*t out of anything that gets in their way, including their owners. I've shot more than a few for skins. They don't die easily. don't get me wrong, they're not super animals nor are the bullet proof but they are full of fight and resist until the last once of strength has faded.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I grew up coon hunting in Indiana where a large coon was 20 lbs. I now have a family of them ( 4) in my back 40 here in Idaho that routinely come into my yard looking for food. The papa and momma are very big. I estimate him at a good 45lbs He killed my wifes cat which weighed 20 lbs so fast it was scary. I shot him with a 22 short and he laughed at me and ran off as I pumped several more into him. One week later he was back like nothing ever happened.

13. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I also have trapped quite a few here in northern IN. Never weighed them either but some were monsters. And yeah...some refuse to die even after three .22 LRs. My wife shot one twice in the back yard and it wouldn't give up until the dog got him.

Steve

14. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

As a boy on the farm, one of my dogs was a Shepherd mix, pretty big dog. Walking along a field of wheat one day, he tore into the field and was mixing it up with something. It was several young 'coons. But then Mama joined in and Doggy was in big trouble.

They had him down and were giving him the business. I was too scared to tackle Mama, so I started kicking away at the younguns. He managed to get away. We both ran like hell.

Reason I was scared (with good reason) is that I once saw personally how hard they could bite. My father used to set traps in the sweet corn patch. He caught a monster one day, and, being angry at all the corn they had spoiled, aimed a kick at this one. That 'coon latched onto the end of his heavy boot and bit down to the bone. Then he shot him, several times, with a 22 LR before he finally let go. Shoulda done that first. [wink]

15. new loader

new loader Member

Several years ago we were overrun with raccoons. I could catch one every night in the trap if I wanted to. I shot 3 in 1 night and it took a BIG hole to bury them all.

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Big 'coons definitely take a lickin.' I got an interesting introduction to them when I was 8. I caught one sleeping up in a Beech tree during the daytime, and decided I would "drop" him out of the tree with a blow-gun (yes, that's right - I said "blow-gun"). This was one of my more "interesting" childhood experiments.

Well, needless to say, after the first few darts went into him, I no longer believed the Field & Stream classified ads that showed the shirtless hillbilly holding some strange varmit up by the tail that he "supposedly" killed with one of those blowguns. All I can say is, that shirtless hillbilly musta had a different type of blowgun than what I was shooting. They don't do shit to a coon!

After the first dart, the coon woke up.

After the SECOND dart, the coon started coming *down* the tree (uh oh).

I used every dart I had on that sumbitch, as he slowly worked his way down that very large Beech tree. It was not going very good. I decided I better hit him with the J.C. Higgins .22 single shot I brought along just in case, before he got down and did some harm to me. I thought that would end it.

It didn't.

I only brought one .22 shell with me, and he just started descending faster. I had to run back in the house for more armament, and it took a .22WMR to finish the deal.

Some animals are very durable, some aren't. Skunks, for example, are very delicate and easy to kill. Raccoons, with any size to them, are not to be underestimated.

Now I understand why the jungle zommba-men put poison on their blowgun darts.

17. kenny larson

kenny larson Guest

HEAR IN UPPER MICHIGAN I TRAPPED A COON OVER 48 POUNDS LOOKED LIKE A SMALL BEAR AND I WASN'T EVEN DRUNK. KENNY

18. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I caught one my first year trapping about 25 years ago in WNY that weighed 32 pounds that thing was big.

19. 100straight

100straight Member

I grew up trapping in central Illinois. A 30 pound coon is a big one, but not all that unusual. I've seen bigger.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

20. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Us men all know that women can not estimate size with any realiability. HMMM I wonder why? HEHEHEHEHE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how big do raccoons get

how big do racoons get