1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How bad the economy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

560 million people lost their jobs in December, I don't call that good

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You are trying to estimate how much water is going over the falls.

I call the loss of half a million jobs in December catastrophic.

Never mind about the numbers. They count jobless by the number of claims. Unemployment has run out for many, many are not covered by U. C., Some need to work now after not working but can't get a job, and a host of other situations.

Our leaders are engaged in a comedic scramble like a guy flailing around slipping on the ice, trying to fix things without having any pain.

If you were watching, you saw it coming. I live in an area that is not hit as hard, but a record mmber of forclosures have happened last year, and the legal notices in the paper are growing even more. Up to 4 pages Wednesday.

In the meantime, up there on top of the mountain, the notion that putting water into the soup will prevent starvation holds sway. A waterfall of money is forthcoming from the printing presses, which can only result in serious inflationary pressures, making matters even worse.

The Keynesian school of economy is firmly in place, and The New New Deal is coming.

That humming noise you hear is Ludwig Von Mises spinning in his grave.

HM

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Due to current economic situation the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

560 million in one month? LOL

5. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I beat the rush Oct. 15th. I guess I am a trend setter. LOL

Rock

Jim

6. chuckles

chuckles Member

Actually it was close to 700,000 people for the month of December....

Bringing the total for 2008 up to 2.5+ Million...jobs lost...

A Million or so have fallen off the Unemployment roles and are no longer counted...

A Million or so are working part time jobs and are not on the UC roles...

regards

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

One thing left off the numbers quoted, how many of those who did get unemployed did return to either the same job as a full time employee or took a different full time job? Just showing the number of people leaving does not, by itself, show the number entering.

The number of part-time employees also does not show the number of jobs created. Many employers, mostly non-union but also some union, have gone the route of hiring "part-time" employees working just below the number of hours that would make them eligible for benefits (and thus increased employment costs). That is still a problem for the worker but, perhaps, the only way the company can still stay in business to be able to increase operations when demand picks up.

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Good news - time to refinance the mortgage at less than 5%. I remember finding some old bank statements in my dad's papers showing he had a mortgage for 4% in 1943.

Jim Skeel

9. halfmile

The number you are looking for is called "non-farm payroll" in the weekly statistics released by the gov.

If it is the same from month to month that is a negative, it has to keep pace with the populaton increase to be at zero growth.

HM

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Remember hussein's statement, "We have the worst economy since the Great Depression". Some of his spouting this OVER AND OVER got MANY Americans believing it and therefore he is getting HIS wish. When you as a envisioned TAKE AWAY hope and confidence the economy acted like a plum in the Saraha at high noon.

While there was trouble coming,,,,hussein exacerbated the depth due to the lack of confidence and started the downward spiral,,,,now with the dumb libs wanting to raise taxes,,,,this will be adding rocket fuel to the fire,,,,you want to see unemployment,,,,wait and see what you get 3-6 months after the tax increases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The s**t about "cutting taxes for 95% of Americans" is just that and it WAS that from the get go,,,,too many _believed_ it and had the ballot in one hand and the other one out waiting for hussein to fill it,,,,remember the woman that has no problems now as husseing is taking care of her mortgage and gas bill,,,,well they are going to be standing there on Jan 21 asking for their bribe/vote payoff!!!!!!!!!!!

I try to maintain a positive outlook on the great economy of ours,,,,the PROBLEM is the _gubment_ is going to be in charge of too much of it,,,,and if you look closely at our government,,,,there are most lawyers who spent their private lives trying to dismantle it through lawsuits,,,,do you really think they can RUN anything and be PROFITABLE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

11. halfmile

Here it is:

95% of americans getting a tax cut, means there Will be a lot of people losing their jobs. No income, no taxes. There, wasn't that easy?

Most of the general populace are pretty dumb, they may just get away with fingerpointing to Bush as the cause of the problem.

Meaningful change: Now the clinton gang is back in power, give them all your money, maybe there will be some change.

HM

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My family farm homestead was purchased by my grandfather in 1920 for 1% interest and the cost was $500 for 480 acres

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The economy is not as bad as it is being portrayed by Obama and the news media. They are trying to compare this with the Great Depression and it isn't even close. The unemployment in the Great Depression was 25 to 30 percent a far cry from the current 7 percent.

This is a recession just like earlier recessions. The economy will recover as it has in the past, provided Obama doesn't weight it down with too much baggage. All this negative talk by Obama and the media will likely make the recession deeper and longer than it need be.

Obama and his minions with the help of the media are trying to set the stage so the Obama administration can spend money on their favorite programs in the name of stimulating the economy and when the economy comes back, which it will, Obama will look like a genius, which he isn't.

14. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Obama and the Dems want the populace to think the economy is close to depression era numbers so they can be the great saviors of the economy. The economy will actually revive itself if they keep their hands out of it. It's similiar to Gore and his bogus global warming trash. Watch, he will take credit for saving the planet when it was actually sun spikes.

15. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

OU.3200 25% to 30% in 1929 unemployment to 7% today is to me like comparing a Model T to a Ford F150 price wise.

Did we have the number of people in the USA then as we do today?

I think if you had the same amount of people in 1929,as we have today the numbers would be much different.

A very large percentage of people during the Depression were either farmers or farm hands.Very few if any of these people were counted.

Either way you look at it we have a problem.

Bo

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

fred, I heard dog food was nearing two bucks a pound!! Would that be 14 bucks in dog money,you know, like 7 to 1 er sumthin? :) Hap

17. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Now, according to my 82 year old Father who grew up in Hazard, Kentucky during the depression, says if you think this is close to a depression, it's long from it. It's definitely a recession and it isn't the first nor will it be the last. I still go by the Mall and it's now only 1/2 full; football stadiums are packed, and the last gun show, had to stand in line to get in. Now that's deep in the rust belt. I am abhorrent when people call this a depression; they need to go to the library or get off of this blog for a minute and look it up. It wasn't called "Great D....." for nothing.
    Darrell

18. halfmile

There is beginning to be one unsettling likeness to the Great Depression at this time.

Money is getting hard to get. Interest rates of 5 per cent or less are nice. Now give me some, Mr. Banker. What? you don't want to?

What a good deal that turned out to be.

In the Depression Money was not around. My mother's home occasionally had an extra quarter that could be used for some kind of treat. Yes, a quarter. Once in a while, not regularly. All the resources were strictly used for survival.

Refi on homes is not going to happen to any degree, mainly because lenders are plugged to the nuts with default properties now. You may be able to threaten your present lender with an offer from another, if you can wangle that.

I take the position that printing money to solve the problem will work no better than an overexteded family getting more credit cards.

The debt is there, and it's pay or default. It is now 68 Thousand dollars for every man woman and child in the USA.

It is about to expand like a pregnant walrus.

Will you and Your children be able to pay it? What are the alternatives?

Green toilet paper, at the Fed Store near you. Get some today.

HM

19. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

One thing about this whole mess.
    You will see an end to the War in Iraq.

There will be the biggest up rise in history.

Our Government will have to call all the troops home to keep peace here.

So Load your guns people.

Bo

20. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

So who is going to "up rise" and why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.