1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How bad is the learning curve when changing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vikingsfaninmi, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikingsfaninmi

vikingsfaninmi TS Member

How bad is the learning curve when making the change from a BT-99 to an Unsingle? Thanks. Brad.

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I would bet that if the POI and the LOP are equal the learning curve would be short....

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I never shot a BT-99, but I did shoot a Beretta 682 Gold E top single for years. It took me about 5 nanoseconds to get used to the unsingle. I would never go back.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The two most important things are the POI and trigger pull of each gun. It would also be nice if the new gun fit you and was user friendly. HMB

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I went from a BT 100 to a 682 gold e unsingle and thought I would easily make the transition. I wouldn't say it was easy but it took a good 1000 rounds to finally to come in to the gun. But each person is different.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Depends on you... some people take to it easily, some struggle and some never do manage the transition.

Keller

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Only your fire-control computer knows for sure.

When I switched from an 870 to a Citori Plus (not an unsingle, but quite a rib difference), it took me a month of leagues, practice and registered. There were times when I wondered what I'd done. Better luck to you.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I too went from a Browning BT 100 to a Beretta 682 Gold E Unsingle. The transition was not as bad as I thought it would be once I got the gun fit right and the POI similar. There is a difference in your target acquisition view. It took me roughly 800-1200 targets to feel comfortable with the change. I wouldn't go back for anything now.

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I am not sure this will transpose to your situation, but to change a habit takes 21 days, practicing the change each day. For example, if a golfer changes his putting style, (i.e. short to long putter,) if he practices daily for 21 days the new style will begin to feel natural and comfortable. I would think if you shot or did practice routines with the new gun for 21 straight days without fail, that the new gun would begin to feel like the comfortable norm. Martinpicker

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Where did you come up with 21 days Martinpicker?

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I too wondered why 21. Why not 23 or 19?

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

13. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

To those who query, the 21 days was established from studies done by sports psychologists in the late 80's. It became an accepted time frame to work with in coaching, as well as in other areas. For example, they found that a person who had been brushing their teeth with an up and down motion who was instructed to change to a circular motion...after using the new style for 21 days the circular motion had become the comfortable norm.

This is not my own theory. Feel free to disagree if you don't believe it. And, as I said in the initial post, it may not apply to a new gun, especially if the new gun doesn't fit the shooter. But I saw the theory work in golf and in other individual pursuits. If I were VikingFan, I would expect the change to take at least 21 days to start to feel really comfortable. Jack

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

For some of us, the transition to an un-single can never be achieved. I tried for a few years to transition from an MX3 to an MX15, and never could shoot the scores I once did. I finally figured out that the problem was a definate eye disconnect between the rib and the barrel (in my case, a bad thing) when shooting the MX15. The difference in rib heights took my eye away from the barrel when shooting the MX15. When I returned to an MX3 Special, my scores went back up again. For me, personally, the closer my eye is to the barrel, the more comfortable I am in shooting, and the easier it is for me to break targets..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The logical reasoning that Dan posted above is precisely why I am unwilling to buy a new Unsingle trap gun. Maybe I could shoot one but I know that I could shoot another Top Single if the POI and stock fit were similar to my present guns.

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

if the system is going to work for you, you would know it in a few rounds of practice. if it wasn't you know that too.

17. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

I struggle for 2 month whit a BT 99 34".Change from a Citori O/U 30" cause it was weighing to much (getting old).Now by adding weigh on the barrel it seem that I can see the end of bad scores.One probleme left...the trigger guard hit my midel finger.
    I use a Band-aid.
    Imporant is to have fun.

18. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

After setting the POI where I wanted it, on the first shot with the Unsingle, I knew what I was going to shoot on Singles and Caps from then on. Never looked back.

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How would this work out for those that say they never see the barrel or beads once mounted and calling for the clay? If they don't see the barrel or bead as they say, how could it make any differences to those guys?

Hap

20. geeber

geeber Member

I think if you adjust the gun to fit you, the learning curve will be very short. Maybe I'm lucky but last week I went from a 101 O/U to a MX2000 unsingle and shot a 99. The only time I fired the MX was at 25 practice targets the day before. I have been shooting the 101 for at least 2 years. What hurts is I started shooting the 101 pretty well recently. Maybe beginners luck with the new gun.

Gary B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.