1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How bad is it where you are?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kim Little, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I received this message from a friend today who worked at a neighboring counties clinic...Hello, I worked at the clinic today. In the four years I have been working there, I have never seen it like it is now. The government if full of crap when they say things are getting better I see it first hand and it is real bad. Folks that had really good jobs are not out of work, out of health ins. out of food and money, out of their home and living in their car. These folks are now at the bottom. They are actually in tears. Most do not realize how bad things are getting. This is not the america I have known.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Frank.. I'm down in New Orleans.. 1 block off of Bourbon Street.. We have hookers on the street that are still virgins.. That just about says it all.. All Not so good.. Maybe after elections things will get better.. Mike

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It's going to get worse, not better. Get yourselves ready. Help when you can.

4. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

"keep the local economy healthy"- if it weren't so pitiful, I'd laugh.

5. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I wish I had a humorous comment to share but there really isn't much to laugh about. I too know people that are at the end of their resources or are under-employed. It is sad and worrisome to watch more and more friends, relatives and aquaintances reach the end of their ropes. I was going to call a friend last week and tell him that I saw the president saying that the recession was over, but after some thought decided against it. I didn't think he would see any humor in it and my attempt at cheering him up would only depress him further.

I think that it's bad everywhere, and worse in some places.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is v ery bad here in Idaho and everywhere else. It makes me sick to see Obama preaching his BS at election time. He is the worst president we have ever had and like recurvey said, it is going to get worse

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The states and federal gov. are on the verge of bankrupcy, the dollar is doing the death dance, gold is at record highs.

8. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Not so good in South Carolina either.

A lady living around the corner from us gave up her deed to her home in leiu of forclosure...

No bids at the auction for the house..(No money down here) We heard about it, submitted a bid to the bank not knowing how much was still owed...The bank accepted our bid...ended up we gave 40% of the balance owed, and they were happy...And we got an 8 year old home that was like new.

Our gain was off someone else's misfortune...

Things aren't good at all...Everywhere we went looking for carpets and furniture, the owners of the stores offered us great deals, and we got everything we wanted at reduced prices.

NO things are not good...Sure hope this mess turns around soon.

Dave in SC

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The American dollar is being propped up by foreign governments, most notably China and Japan. Others are helping as well. They know that if America goes down, so do they and the rest of the world as well. Paper currencies of virtually all nations are technically worthless. This is a catastrophe of unprecedented proportion. We have a complete amateur in the White Houes surrounded by extreme left-wingers who have put us in this position. Even they are leaving in droves, not willing to take the blame and feel the wrath of the Americans they have damaged so badly.

I don't know how this ends but new government spending will not make it better yet that seems to be all the present thugs in Washington know. Of all the President's financial team, only Tiny Tim Geithner remains and he would run for the door too if he had the chance.

Remember, Hitler, Mao and Stalin couldn't bring down America. It took a community organizer to do it.

I feel so badly for those who have lost jobs and homes and hope. Pray for them, help them where you can and pray that November 2 will be the beginning of a real recovery and that America can begin to earn back the American dream.

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

To be honest, things are definately better in SE Michigan than they were a couple of years ago. I keep close tabs on folks working in the machine shops (what's left of them) and they are all saying the same.

11. neofight

neofight TS Member

I live in Brookings, Oregon and it's no different here as far as housing is concerned. I have three houses for sale in my neighborhood, all within a stone's throw, no offers on any in more that 2 years and the asking prices have tumbled .

We are down to 2 officers for the entire county and i have been told first hand to try my best to handle any situation that should arise, unless shots are fired. Very comforting. I notice the increasing numbers of people, especially younger ones, on the street corners, pan-handling with the standard issue, cardboard signs.I see an increase in the number of garage sales as well, discount sale signs in most of the stores.

We are big enough and bright enough to bring this around. November will be a start, but 2012 will be a pivotal point in our history.Let's look back when this is over and say that it was just an experiment that went bad.

12. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Been open 9 yrs. next week. The last 8 months have been the slowest since I opened. Hunting seasons are coming up, hope it will get better. Not high unemployment around here but people are not spending like the were.

13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

In my area the farmers are just starting harvest of what will be a record corn and soybean crop. Corn is $4.25 and Soybeans are $10.25. I've been waiting on carpenters to do some remodeling on my house for a year...they are that busy. You can hardly buy a new pickup, but there are alot of damn nice one year old tradeins.

Implement dealers have a hard time keeping machinery on the lot. It is boom time for the ag industry in my part of the country.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Guys.. Obamma said the recession ended last year.. Are we slow.. or what???

15. dverna

dverna Active Member

Tron, those machine shops are getting a bit of an increase now that the automotive companies are getting back to business. They were at "zero" for a long time so yes they are doing better.

Talk to guys in the construction trades. It is not good for most.

We still see many foreclosures in "good" neighborhoods and unemployment is one of the highest in the nation (13% but it is actually higher). We are courting the film industry - MI has all but given up on being the manufacturing giant it once was.

MI sucks and will continue to do so for at least 5-8 years.

And Devi is correct. It will get worse - much worse. We cannot spend our way to prosperity. People need jobs and a sense of worth and pride that comes from supporting themselves and their families. Once they give up on themselves, their only recourse is to depend on government to extend unemployment, provide "free" health care, welfare, social security, etc etc. and where will the money come from???

Don Verna

16. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Things not so great in Ohio either.

News media says we have lost 400,000 jobs under our current Gov.

Lots of higher end homes in forclosure as well.

However, someone has some money to spend from the long lines at restaurants on Fri. and Sat. eve. Better quality ones too.

Congress is discussing tax incentives to lure Cos. back to the US?

Not going to happen IMO, sadly.

Regards....Gerald

17. oletymer

oletymer Member

We gave away too many good jobs to foreign companies with our free trade agreements. The majority of the jobs now created here are service related and low paying. That is the major contributing cause of our problems.

18. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

DBBill.. This has been my only "Perazzi" purchase in over a year.. No guns,no barrels,no triggers, No membership dues,no shots fired.. just work.. 7 days a week.. 11 hours a day.. Just.. I couldn't let this slide get away.. I work on everyone elses 1911.. now.. it's time to do something for me... All Good.. Mike

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The only reason there hasn't been rioting in the streets is because the fed gov is paying unemployment with money they are borrowing. Simply paying people to not get angry.

Around here the developers are suddenly building apartment buildings like crazy. That tells me they believe there are a lot of people who are not going to own a home again for a long time. East county San Diego.

20. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

All indicators point at the following as the causes and effcts of our tanking economy. Our current federal adminstration is bragging that things are on the right track for a correction,(bail out, and federal fund for shovel ready projects at what cost ???? Highest rate of deficit spending ever????? The media, constantly preaching gloom and doom dosen't motivate people to spend any money. This is all still fall out to some extent from the Tech bubble of the mid to late 90's when money was falling from the sky, home values incrased and people, fools that they are fell for the " you can afford a jumbo home loan, home interest rates will stay low" ARM's are the way to go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.