1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How bad did I get ripped?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bisi, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Went to a gun show today with intent to find a deal on some .223 ammo. It was hard to find any 223 ammo much less a deal on it.

Well anyway I was walking by one table and a guy had 3 used Smith & Wesson 45 ACP pistols. I ended up buying one a Model 4506, it seems to be in excellent shape. Got it for $400 tax included plus he threw in 50 rounds of 45 ammo. I'm not a handgun guy, I know shotguns but not pistols, just wondering what kind of a deal I got. I think I paid a fair price for it.

I'm happy but I know when I go to the gun club tomorrow there will be somebody up there telling me I got ripped. It doesn't matter what you buy, it could be a truck, shotgun, loader, fishing reel, or whatever there are a couple of guys at this club who will tell you how you overpaid and got ripped.

2. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Try gettin that deal this time next year....no semiautos, no gun shows, no 45acp..S$W will be closed down, out of business..get 'em now while you can..they will fetch double to price next year!...lb

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You didn't get ripped thats what the gun is selling for. You will have shooting enjoyment with it and in the future if you want to sell it you will get what you paid for it.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with shootlow. You could tell them you paid $200 and someone would say you got screwed. None of their business. Tell them your uncle gave it to you for $11. That will pi$$ them off!! Ed

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Nah, I think you did ok. You probably shoulda bought all of 'em if they were in good shape.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

how much could you get ripped off on a $400 deal?

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I really don't care what the clowns at the club think, I just had no idea what a pistol like that cost. It was an impulse purchase, and after I got home I was wondering if I did alright. I know $400 ain't much anymore but it will still buy something like 300 shares of Citigroup, or in another week it will buy you a 100 shares of GE, or Alcoa! 3 stalwart companies of the DOW. LOL

Always wanted a 45 auto. I know shotguns just not handguns. Can't wait to take it to the range and crack a few off.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Or Half of GM

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i will retract my statement my appologies

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Good price for a good gun. :^)

Get some extra factory mags.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.vintagepistols.com/range_report_S&W_4506.html.......I happen to love the 45 and 40 series S&W. You wont find those in my area with ammo included for what you paid. Unless it is shot to hell. I think thats hard to do.
    I have the 4013TSW. love it

12. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Hooked up a friend with a NIB of the same thing last year for, I think, 440 and he got a deal.

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Tell the jerks that you swapped the family cat for it and got a beagle to boot.

14. tuckpa

tuckpa TS Member

Blue Book calls it $410 if it's 95%.You're fine.

15. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Sounds like you got a fair deal. There are still some honest and fair people out there good luck, breakemall. ML

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Shootlow was right on -- it's nobody's business but yours. Lots of idiots like to pose as "experts" by ridiculing other people's purchases. I must confess that I sometimes enjoy taunting these fools. My boisterous uncle owned a gun shop and when he would ask what I paid for a gun I would always add about 75% just to see him go nuts. Good clean fun.

Just a few years ago I bought a beautiful .357 Python at a local show for $825. As I was walking the show some crusty old geezer with his grandson stopped me and offered to buy it. As he offered me a laughable $500, he leaned into my face and said "...CASH MONEY!!!" I chuckled and told him I just bought it for $825, to which he replied, "WOW -- I've been buying & selling guns longer than you've been alive, and I ain't never seen nobody get swindled like that." I had intended to keep the gun, but less than an hour later I accepted another guy's offer of $1000. The funny part is that if I'd kept that revolver, today it would easily bring $1600.

Most true gun experts feel no need to make others feel bad about their decisions. It's almost always the idiots who feel the need to run their mouths.

-Gary

17. nipper

nipper TS Member

i am forced to respond now.

Here is one of many tricks i use on ranges,

If i am shooting 22 caliber benchrest shoots, i repackage my expensive match grade ammo into packs like winchester t-22 that are less than half the price of the real match grade ammo i shoot and i place them on the bench and if asked how or why they are shooting so good, i explain i have a special process i use on them, but i cant tell them of course.

never tell anyone what or how much something cost you

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.