Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How and When yardage reductions

7K views 68 replies 28 participants last post by  V10 
#1 ·
Two questions...
Regarding the new yardage reductions being offered. I'm a new shooter, 8/11 first shoot, shooting from the 21 with an avg of 90.8% in my last 11 shoots (one low score discarded because it was more than 10% below my avg.), in the central zone.

By the new rules, I am qualified for a 2 yd deduction I believe. (please correct me if I am wrong)

1. How and when should I expect to be notified?

2. What would you do in my shoes? (if you want to look up my stats at ATA before you answer, Chip Porter, IL)

I'm very interested in the opinions regarding #2.

Regards,
Chip

#31 ·
I do wish someone in ATA-land would fix the SIC database. It jumps all over the place when I try to access it. It did not work well before, but it’s really bad now. Yeah, I know; sixteen people will come on here now and say “It works fine for me”…

Maybe a programmer is in order...

JR

#36 ·
I just checked out the ATA site and I did indeed get a 2 yard reduction to the 19.

I checked a couple of other friends though and it seems they qualify, but no reduction. Is it that the reductions aren't automated and it may take some time or some other reason?

Chip

#37 ·
I just accessed the SIC. The Summary page, the first page that comes up shows my handicap yardage: 23.5. When I go to the "printer friendly" page it shows 1/4/2012 Computer review-ydg reduction -2 and under the "previous" column it shows 25.5. Now, my question is the Sept. 1, 2010 rule book, p. 25, F. Special Handicap Rules 1. . . ."The ATA Shooter Information Center is not to be used to evidence of a reduction; only an Average Card with the new yardage will be accepted." Has this rule been discarded in this situation? Tom

#38 ·
Just in case anyone is interested the breakpoints are as follows

BREAK POINT is the average looked at by the computer to determine if a reduction is warranted. Break points are different depending on zone of residence.

Eastern Zone: 89%

Central Zone 90%

Southern Zone 89%

Southwestern Zone 90%

Western Zone 90%

Now I know that one of the zones breakpoint was changed at the start of the 2012 target year.

Yet when I checked the rule changes for 2012 that change is not listed there anymore!!!!!!!

ATA Rulebook Changes

August 2011

Section IV, ATA Tournaments A. Registered Shoots (Page 12, 2b)

b. each contestant must pay an ATA daily registration fee of $3.00 for each day of competition at each shooting location ($1.50 fee for Big 50 events), and such Zone or State Association fees as may be charged, and

G. Squadding, Squad Leader Responsibilities and Target Observation (Page 14)
2. In Handicap there shall be no more than two (2) yards difference between adjacent shooters in the squad, and no more than a total difference of three (3) yards in a squad. If 18, 19 or 20 yard shooters are in a squad, there shall be no more than one yard (1) difference between adjacent shooters in the squad and no more than a total difference of two (2) yards in the squad.
Section VI, The ATA Handicap System C. Handicap Yardage Assignment (Page 23)

2. New sub-junior shooter – a new male shooter who has not reached his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 19.0 yards. A new male shooter who has reached his 15th birthday will be assigned a handicap of 20 yards. All additional yardage increases or reductions will be earned.

3. Removed

Section VIII, Standards for Trap houses, Targets, Target Setting, Guns and Ammunition

Flights and Angles (Page 48, Third Paragraph, Last Sentence)
Where terrain allows, a visible stake may be placed on the centerline of the trap on the arc of a circle that has a radius of 50 yards and its center is Point B (Point F, Diagram II)

Scott(V10)my question is the L code remains yet the R code doesn't. Yet they are worded exactly the same after the letter of the code

“L” coded shooter; system will not allow computer reduction

“R” coded shooter, system will not allow computer reduction

Any Idea why the R code is lifted and the L code isn't? Just a point of curiosity for me.

Bob Lawless

#39 ·
No, Tom, it hasn't.

The information on the SIC is always ahead of the mailing of the new card.

The SIC has to be updated before a new card can be printed.

The reason for the sentence in the Rule Book is that your Delegate could intervene and deny you a reduction and then you wouldn't get a new card with what you saw on the SIC. (I'm not speaking necessarily about the current situation, just in general that is how it could work.) The SIC would then be re-updated to show the reduction as being denied and your old yardage restored.

#42 ·
I find it interesting at any rate Scott. BTW that rule that Tom quoted is not reading the same in the on line rulebook that I am getting

"The ATA Shooter Information Center is not to be used to evidence of a reduction; only an Average Card with the new yardage will be accepted."

The wording I am getting says as of this evening.

"The ATA Shooter Information Center may be used as evidence of a reduction with verification by a member of the Central Handicap Committee, a voting member of the Executive Committee or the shooters State or Provincial Delegate."

I wasn't aware that this rule had been changed although it would appear it has.

As I said interesting.

Bob Lawless

#43 ·
Jerry wrote: "Yay I got a 2yd reduction,but oh ya I have a PITA card and it still has my old yardage on it so by the rules I have to shoot at that yardage for ATA shoots"

When you get your new ATA card make a photocopy of it and send it to your PITA Central Handicap delegate with the PITA reduction request and you will get a matching reduction in PITA. See the link above.

#44 ·
Gee, the more discussioon on this the more interesting it gets.

This was asked of me what I thought.

Surprise added daily fees at the end of the year. Now 26,000 average cards need to be redone and mailed...What is the cost to do all of this? Why couldn't the EC just have had all their ducks in order when they sent out the new average cards...This couldn't have been dreamt up over night.

I had no answer for these questions, but I could surmise that to create an average card with printing, paper blanks, envelope, and postage, these had to be on the order of $2.00 per card (My Best Guess). $52,000 could buy a lot of presidential guns.

#45 ·
"What is the cost to do all of this? Why couldn't the EC just have had all their ducks in order when they sent out the new average cards"

Well one reason could be that every year on or about Oct. 1, We start to see threads that want to know where their average cards are? How long it will take to get them? Just what do you suppose we would have heard if they were to say the cards wouldn't be out until January.....LOL

Bob Lawless

#49 ·
smsnyder and BigDon, on Shootata.com, the on-line rule book, F. Special Handicap Rules 1. . . ."The ATA Shooter Informaation Center may be used as evidence of a reduction with verification by a member of the Central Handicap Committee, a voting member of the Executive Committee or the shooters State or Provincial Delegate." Tom

#50 ·
V10,

Where it says "Search For A Member", when you type in a last name and then hit the down arrow, it will display a list of those last names for a few seconds, and then bounce you right back out again.

Using it today, I noticed it was much better than last night, but still not quite right. There are some obvious programming gliches in the data base system that have never been corrected.

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.