1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How About This Format for an ATA Shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fssberson, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Redlands is putting on a non-registered shoot on 12/26 using the format below. I think it addresses some issues and would bring some money back into the sport. 25-27 yarders shoot the highest per capita percentage of ATA targets shot. However, only a handful can regularly put up winning 96+ scores. I think that this format really would bring some interesting times for the guys who can shoot in the 86-94 range.

I don't think that there is any rule reason why it couldn't be classified as a separate event but run concurrent with a standard HC event. Anyone shorter than 27 entering would have to shoot penalty 27. Because there would be a lot of scores falling in the 86-94 range, there would probably be several shooters in shootoffs for the, non-champion class spots. Getting to shootoff for several hundred bucks would be great fun.

Here it is from the Redlands post:

"27 Yard Class Handicap 100 targets, $100 with $75 going to the purse.

All participants would have to shoot from the 27 yard line.

The purse would be split in the following manner:

1. 30% to the champion.

2. 70% to be split equally among the champion runner-up, A class winner, B class winner and C class winner.

3. The champion runner-up would be determined by the second highest score.

4. The A class winner would be determined by subtracting two from the champion runner-up’s score. The B class winner will be determined by subtracting three from the A class winner’s score. The C class winner will be determined by subtracting three from the B class winner’s score.

By example:

Assuming 30 shooters. The high score is 98. The second-highest score is 96.The A class winner would be 94. The B Winner would be 91. The C winner would be 88. If no one posted the designated score then that class would drop to the next score down but all lower classes would still calculate from the champion runner-up score.

In this example assuming 30 shooters, the purse would be $2,250.00. The champion would get 30% of $2,250, or $675.00. The other four winners would split the remaining $1,575, or $393.75 each.

5. All ties would be shot off in 10 shot rounds."

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Sounds good, I would hope they would hold (lock-up/hide etc) all scores until after the last shot is fired...Grubby

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Why not do it as a registered singles event and use ATA classification? The Suggested format would seem to favor 27 yard shooters over 20 yard shooters. In my area, it would not be easy to get 30 shooters to pay $100 for 100 targets.

Pat Ireland

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I think it is a great idea. Do it, keep it simple and have some fun. Forget the nay sayers. If I was closer I would be in and so would a bunch of my friends.

Somebody is always going to whine that "it's not fair", forget them and move on.

Don

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The format that I'd like to see is as follows:

3 yardage classes 21-23, 24-25, 26-27. Eliminate anything closer than the 21 no need for it.

All money stay in class. What ever purses the shooter signs up for stays in his yardage class. This is easy to track with computers being the norm.

All competitors must be squadded with others in same class. You will be directly competeting with your fellow competitors.

This format would do two things very well. It would all but eliminate sandbagging, and it would force the "Pro's" to shoot for each others money instead of everyones money (remember the first "A" in ATA stands for amateur) .

This format wouldn't change All American points as they are all shooting at the same distance. This format would work very well at small and large shoots alike. Squading would be easy as everyone will be squaded in class, there could be a little bit of an issue in the 21-23 yrd class because of the yardage differentials but easily dealt with.

You could still award a Champion on score or shoot-offs. Just give them their trophy and be done with it.

ss

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun and will be interesting to see the out come of same when its over ... Great Idea ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

If people are looking for an alternative format, look at the PITA Multiplex shoots. Format and rules are posted on the PITA wb site (shootpita.com). Bob K

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I'm thinking that maybe by using averages, It might get some of the 27 yarders that are no longer competetive to put in their moneys. There are a lot of shorter yardage shooters that play the long range games and most likely wont be hurt that badly. That being said, a split for classes might be made much as the lewis classes are split giving a more even spread of shooters in each class. Just a thought.

Bob

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Pat,

It really isn't for 20 yard shooters. It is for the majority of 25-27 yard shooters who average around 88-90 and really can't shoot the 96+ it takes to win champ or even yardage group.

Also, you have to look at it as $75.00 for a chance to get into a shootoff with $400.00 on the line. The guys who win have great stories, the guys who lose have great stories and everyone get to get a little kneeknockin' back in their game.

10. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

As a new shooter..it would not interest me. As a 20 yd hcp. If I could be competative @ 27 yrds...I wouldnt be shooting 2o. Not sure what the purpose would be except to sweeten the pot for the guys @ the 27.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If 2 people shoot 98, is there a shoot off for champion? And if there is, is the loser champion runner up? Or is the guy who shot 97 champion runner up? HMB

12. jhoward

jhoward Member

I would see no reason to shoot this format. I agree with EE, this just seems like a modified Lewis purse. If you don't break the top or second place score then it's just a matter of luck whether you get a pay out. And unless you're a 27 yard shooter, you don't even get to shoot from your normal yardage.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Look if you don't like the format then stay at home. They are not talking about a registered or lewis shoot.

It's about bringing your best, putting your money down then step up to the 27 and have at it. It's gambling and having some fun.

They just had a similar shoot in Ohio but they used the Great Eastern payout method(6 places/top 6 scores). They didn't have to much trouble getting a group together.

Don

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

hmb,

All 98s would shoot for champ. Top guy would get champ, second would take RU, any others, SOL. 96s would then shoot for A, 93s for B and 90s for C.

mikkeeh, as a separate event, the 27s are shooting for their own money. Any long yardage guys not wanting in the 27 Class HC could still shoot in the regular HC event for whatever was being offered.

What's interesting if someone wanted a fast track to the 27 all they would have to do is earn a punch shooting penalty 27.

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

"If you don't break the top or second place score then it's just a matter of luck whether you get a pay out."

No, hopefully it is a matter of luck that your score gets you in a shootoff. The point of this format is to create shootoffs because with 30-40 shooters you will have several 87s, 88s, 89s, 90s, 91s, 92s, etc. Then the fun begins.

16. trap906

trap906 Member

but it couldn't be registered targets, with some folks shooting from wrong yardage

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

It can be registered. Penalty yardage just has to be published in the program.

18. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

I don't see this format as any different than a mandatory, expensive, Lewis option. Can't see myself spending $100.00 for a 100 bird event. I rarely play the options, and this seems like a complete givaway to me. If the goal is to have more shooters play the options, then the pro's need to be taken out of the picture, not just make them compete with other long yardage shooters, but in a complete seperate group. When some of these guys get 10 to 40 honorary yards a year, I'm sure not going to bet against them. Skill will beat luck every time.

Tomas

19. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I am a 21 yard ATA shooter, but would be happy to try out in an event as suggested. I have said for a long time, ATA should have 16, 22 and 27 yard events with classes A (AAA or AA), B, C, & D as precribed in ATA class assignments depending on number of shooters. Go shoot the events you want then go home, ties divide. Shooters and Club saves money in shootoffs. Shooters could have the option to rollover a set amount or all of their winnings in case of a tie in a Gorilla purse to be shot at a later date as set by the club.

20. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

"Can't see myself spending $100.00 for a 100 bird event."

You spend $25.00 for the targets, $75.00 for the chance to see how you shoot with your $75.00 and maybe $400.00 on the line. It's not for guys who like to shoot 3 rounds of "practice" and then go home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata shooting format