1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How about some reload recipes for a newbie..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Purchased a used MEC Grabber and looking to get into the reloading game. I also purchased an extra 1000 AA hulls. to start reloading. Looking for some basic receipes for trap shooting. I currently shoot AA trap loads. 1 1/8 8 shot. I figure they run around 1200 fps or so.

I also have a powder scale to measure. As I used to reload centerfire rifle cartridges.

looking for insight on powder and wads.

Thanks
    Pete

2. Landshark

Landshark Member

I like Hodgon Clays and the pink 1oz wads. Load data right out of the book.

3. jack1122

jack1122 TS Member

Mash that.

Jack

4. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get a reloading manual from the powder company that you plan on using and load out of the book
    It is un wise to get loading data from a forum

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you want to cover the bases and load everything from light 7/8 up to heavy 1 1/8 Oz handicap shells, you will need two powders, a 'fast' one and a 'slower one.

The fast powder would be for the lighter shot charges and/or lower vel 1 1/8 Oz loads. Examples include CLAYS,Red Dot, PROMO, 700x. They are all good, I like CLAYS when I can get it.

The slower powder would be for the 1 1/8 Oz loads doiing 1,200 FpS and faster. Examples include Green Dot, International Clays. I like Green Dot.

For wads look at the DownRange line up. I like the XL-1 (blue) for 1 1/8 Oz loads and the TGT 12 for 1 Oz and some 7/8 Oz loads. But Down Range offers just about anything you could ever want so you have lots of choices there.

For primers, use what you can get at a reasonable price. I prefer the big brand names like Wincheter, Remington or Federal but I would be hard pressed to prove to you that they are worth the cost differential over brands like Cheddite or Fiocci.

Final bit of advice, and I think you know this, use current loading data from the powder manufacturer that shows the exact load you intend to assemble.

6. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

CC Lite load that works nice 1145fps 16.3grs of Titegroup, Rem STS primer ,REM HULL, REM TGT-12 wad or DRRT-12 Downrange witch you can use it for 1oz or 1 1/8 oz. With this load you can change the shot back and forth and not have to change the powder bushing there is only a 2 tenth of a grain difference between the two loads. works nice and loaded with 7.5 it WILL break'em from the 27 +. it is real close to what the STS factory load is not exact but it works.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

jsa3107: Why don't you go in and delete you extra posts, I think he got the point the first time.

Don

8. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

So what you are saying is to use a load book. I got it. I was looking for a post like Wolfram's seems like there is alot of different things to use out there. One of my biggest ?s was about wads. Seems there is a bunch of differnt ones. Just wanted some insight on experieces with different stuff. We have a great reload shop here that has given us some good advice. I would never use a load that is crazy or goes completely against the grain. I see how my post could have got a little misunderstood. I guess like I said I was really looking for wads preferences to use with AA hulls.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Clays is probably the best, but don't overlook Red Dot and 700X. Most of your powder charges with be within a grain and a half of 17.5 grains of whatever brand you choose. Later, when you start playing around with your handicap loads with some of the slower powders (Green Dot), you'll load in a little more.

For wads, just buy the Claybuster (or equivalent) replacement wad for the 1 1/8 oz. AA or buy the actual Winchester wad if you have the cash.

You made an excellent choice for your loader. The Grabber I used to own turned out beautiful reloads and was plenty fast as well. I liked it better than my 9000G I used to have. Good luck.

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Catching Chrome:

If prefered wads for AA hulls is of interest, understand that AA's are tapered hulls. So... for starters stick with tapered wads. Other than cost, you won't go wrong with factory original Winchester wads including WAA12 and WT-12 (for 1 1/8th ounce loads) and the WAA12SL for one ouncers.

You'll save considerable money using replacement wads (a.k.a. clones) of those wads produced by companies including Claybuster, Duster, and Downrange. As a practical matter you'll get the same performance from the clones.

Tapered wads produced by Remington including Figure 8's and TGT-12's and their respective clones by Claybuster, et. al. also work very well in AA hulls.

Wolfram mentioned several powders for different applications. He's correct and they'll all do you a good job for their intended applications.

Keep in mind that every powder company makes different powders designed for specific purposes. For light 12 gauge target loads, fast burning products like Red Dot, Promo, Clays, 700X, and Rex 1 are ideal. Light is defined as one ounce loads and 1 1/8 ounce loads at 1145 fps.

The same companies make Green Dot, International Clays, 800X, and Rex II. These somewhat slower burning powders ideal for 1 1/8 ounce loads at 1200 fps or thereabouts.

They are all good products and they'll all give good results. Price and availability often become determining factors. Another for me is place of production. As the wise Pat Ireland frequently points out, Alliant Powder is a domestic U.S. company. Alliant products are competitively priced, widely available and do an outstanding job.

Hope this is helpful.

sissy

PS: ALWAYS stick with published reloading recipes. There's nothing wrong with hard copy books but there is a plethora of data is available on Alliant's and Hodgdon's websites. Look for their online reloader guides.

11. Neal S S

Neal S S TS Member

I love to shoot 17.5 grains of Red-Dot in a AA case Wind Jammer Ounce wad Cheddite Primer 8,s This shell runs aprox. 1290 And will smoke targets from 27 !

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Sissy and Fred said it about a good as you can get. I use green and blue Dusters in my tapered hulls, with Red Dot or 700X and Win. 209 primers. If you have some extra money to burn, (no pun intended) try some PB. Wayne

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Catching Chrome

"So what you are saying is to use a load book. I got it. I was looking for a post like Wolfram's seems like there is alot of different things to use out there. One of my biggest ?s was about wads."

Chrome I want to ask you a question. Not to seem harsh or mean or nasty but do you know anyone here? If not why would you be willing to take advice from someone you know only as ivanhoe or wolfram or jack1122. Think about it a little if someone gives you bad advice or you misread the advice what could the repercussions be. Fairly dangerous I would think stick to published loads and contact the wad manufacturer that you are interested in. Ask for loading data for their products.

Don't trust your gun and ultimately your life to people you don't even know. Just my advice of course you are free to do what ever you wish. Load safe and shoot well.

Bob Lawless

14. oz

oz Active Member

don't forget hodgdon's.com

15. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

The best thing is to decide which powder you want to use and get a book for that powder.

As I don't shoot ATA (at this time), I personally like 700x powder, winchester 209 primers, tgt12 wads and 1 oz of 9 shot.

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Stick with 1 powder and light loads and you can do no wrong . I have been loading STS hulls with 15.6 gr of 700X , Claybuster 1 oz wads , any #8 shot thats available and some times mix it with reclaimed shot and use Cheditte primers when I can get them , then I buy a lot . Mec 26 bushing may give you 16.3 ?? as per a friends scale. Have fun loading.

17. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I agree Bob, I was just trying to get a handle on some products people prefer and why. Most of the guys I know at the clubs I shoot at have been giving me some advice on powder, wads etc. In addition I have been looking at Hogdon's website etc. Just wanted to get a idea of what people are using etc. Don't worry I didn't take it the wrong way. It is good to see that people look out for newbies because they don't want to see them get hurt.
    Thanks
    Pete

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you will be loading AA hulls, you should use a wad that is designed for a tapered hull and has an overpowder cup designed for the AA hull. If you look at the WAA12 wads, they have a few small grooves on the side of the overpowder cup. It also has a slightly chamfered lower edge. They will load more reliably with those attributes. The Winchester wads would be a good start, since they were designed around that hull. I also have had good results with the Remington TGT12 and Figure 8's in the AA hulls. Most of the clones are pretty good, so you can save a little money over the originals.

The original powders used in the Winchester factory loads is usually VERY dense, so bulky powders may not always make it easy to get decent crimps without some issues. I use a lot of Promo and it works well enough with reasonable velocities. I use a slower powder for Handicaps if more velocity is desired with 1 1/8 ounce payloads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.