1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How About 300 Targets for Singles?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

First, please spare us if you think Singles are boring, you don't like to shoot them, you just shoot them to warmup for HC, etc, etc, because those raelly all boil down to the fact that you have to run 100 or 200 just to get to a shootoff in A and above and often in C & B.

I remember standing next to a AA shooter at my first big shoot and the guy misses the first target out and I'm thinking "gee, the next 199 are practice".

So, instead, maybe Singles should go to 150 and 300 target events. It would certainly thin out the shootoffs and perhaps make Singles a liitle more interesting for all classes.

I will now duck and cover.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Besides tradition, many of the larger shoots would not be able to complete shooting in one day. The championship singles at state shoots and satellite grands maybe the only event that some shooters will focus on this year for the attendance. If moving to 300 the added cost maybe enough reason not to shoot the event with the related costs involved.

3. jtgunn

jtgunn TS Member

Why is everyone tring to fix something that is not broke. This is the target that the ATA and most clubs now throw. People piled up for shootoffs is the result of soft, narrow angle targets (ie 2hole)We had lots of shooters in the shootoffs when they were harder, now we just have more...

The only thing to thin out the shootoffs is to THROW a HARDER and WIDER Targets. It solves all the problems except one... Most will not shoot them because it will runion there inflated average. Nothing helps a easy game, you must raise the bar... at least back to where it was. OR change the game with a wobble trap. good luck in that...

Rich ...back at the fence

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

300????!!! Singles stink bad enough at 200 bird races!!!!!! I hate the #$%%&^&# 200 bird races in singles. I would much rather get them over with as soon as possible. It stinks as clubs drag around forever starting the SECOND hundred. I only shoot singles when there is NOTHING else to shoot. If you want to do away with boring singles go back to the 3 hole targets and throw a hundred of them.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Developing the mental control necessary to shoot good singles scores will carry over to better handicap scores. This was true for tougher angles of yesteryear and probably more true for the softies of todays settings. It's easier for the average shooter to be "lulled" into thinking they are easy and the mental part slips. First hand knowledge for free? Hap

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Can anyone tell me how shooting more Singles prepares me for breaking better scores from the 27 Yd. line? Does that work for Doubles too!!

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I don't think it is a bad point of disussion.

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

How about 4 hole, 50 target events?

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How about miss and out. Save time and money. HMB

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Ah slide action, and I said "please".

As to cost, because the budget for the event is now based on 100 or 200 targets, the extra 50 or 100 could be added at target cost only meaning that they may only be $2.50 to $4.00 per 25 extra. These extra targets would also amortize the overall investment of time and travel money and average down the per target cost. On another thread, people said they didn't want to travel for just 50 targets. So, you get to shoot more targets on the smae tank of gas and investment of a day. Don't we compete to shoot targets?

Takes more time? Yep, but singles go fast and you are getting to shoot more targets.

11. lisalong

lisalong Member

I'd much rather handicap doubles!

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Anyone ever see Kay Ohye at the practice trap shooting Singles before the Handicap event!!

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The only group a 300 singles event would appeal to would be those shooters who like to shoot trap. For me, a little is good and more is better.

Pat Ireland

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Let's try 150 singles at the next NHSC ATA and get a reaction. Fred

15. motrap

motrap Member

200 target Singles Championship Targets are the closest to perfect of any event in the game .... the intent has been to recognize the best shooters, not the strongest and/or wealthiest .......

1) There are enough targets involved to allow that days best to post a tying score, yet still affordable (money, time, health) to ALL who care to compete ....... and should satisfy all but the extreme, heartiest of trap-shooter shooting addictions .......

2) There are enough targets involved to pare down the entries to a number of qualified shooters, so the crowns may be decided under the fairest of manageable circumstances ......... no person winning in a shoot-off wins due to benefiting from an illegal or incorrect act ....

3) There are enough targets involved for the clubs to profit AND be able to comfortably manage in one day ....... due to possible unforeseen circumstances, another event may be added or canceled, but the Championship should be easily completed ......

Yep, ....... Singles are nearly perfect (as are Doubles) ...... it's the Handicap that could use some tweaking ........

Rudy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.