1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

House Painter: Need Recommendation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Looking to have outside painting job bid on my home. Location: Silverlake/Echo Park area of Los Angeles, California.

I'd like to have some referrals for a competent painter from this forum first; it's nice, IMO, the keep services and exchange of funds within the trapshooting/family, particularly during these difficult economic times.

Thanks,

David

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Changeo, good idea we Masons try to do that also. Mike.

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

When my wife gets home I'll ask her for the name of the guy we used. He did an excellent job, was fast and fair. He uses Dunn-Edwards paint exclusivly and best of all, he has a significant cash discount. R Talley in Santa Clarita

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I suppose you go on a handyman site and ask how to shoot handicap. This is the kind of BS that is ruining this site.

Don

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

BIGDON: "I like you too."

(I thought I picked an appropriate category...I am not asking HOW to paint, but who, an outdoor sportsman preferably, does a nice job and lives near me. That's all, let's stick together as brothers and sisters at arms. If you can illuminate how such posts "ruin" this site, I encourage and will consider your guidance and input.)

Regards,

---David

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Make sure they have long arms , that will cut working time.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Good ideas!

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Chango this was not to be personal to you. Why wouldn't you post it. People have asked how buy dishwashers, lawn mowers and what ever. I am old school and I don't like the invasion of many who have turn this site into one Big Garage sale. I knew this site when it was a trap shooters site and we didn't have the outside influence. Now you have non shooters giving shooting advice. Other shooting sports thinking they have a right and those making fun and starting crap with trapshooters.

I think if you ask around your club you will probable find someone local, good luck. Have a good day.

Don

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Don,

Firstly, I agree with you that this site has become somewhat diluted. However, David Van Elgort has seen fit to categorize postings. We have a gun/shooting section, a section describing where trapshoots will be held, a for sale section, an item wanted section, an OT/other stuff section, and a section re. politics. So...one "should" be able to stay away from posts such as mine IF one chooses not to read the OT section. I believe in spending my money, if possible, with tradesmen that have similiar intersts as I. This is not entirely for purely honorable reasons, I'll be the first to admit that. However, I try and do that partially for selfish reasons: Help hire or employ those with similiar interests or hobbies suggests that those "similiar interests and hobbies" will receive a little bit of "trickle down" financial health which helps keep gunclubs healthy.

However, I do feel that your point is well taken; come here to find trapshooting information and you also will find postings that have nothing to do with the shooting sports by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps you are not using the category view?

And contrary to popular and often facetious stereotyping, I find trapshooters overall are "pretty smart and meticulous" people who know value, good workmanship, recognize a good tradesman, etc.

Best Regards,

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Yhat's nice, trapshooters helping trapshooters and Mason's helping Mason's bvut when it's unions helping unions that's bad?

Bit hypocritical, don't you think?

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Big Bad Bob: ???? I didn't reference unions? "Mea Culpa", I realize that if one takes two trapshooters, as a general rule, one topic that can be either agreed upon via s simple yes or no, there will be three opinions!! No wonder gunclubs are full of after-shoot chatter.

12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Chango2,

I'm sorry it sounded like I was busting your balls on the union thing. There is another thread that got mr riled up and I took it out on you. I am sure you will have no problem finding a good quility-minded painter through your network.

Again, I apologize.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Big Bad Bob,

Oh, no offense taken! Perhaps my post reminded you of another that referenced unions. We an't remember everything...oh, what was the question?

(Most painters I've found in the past have been either overpriced in this area or flakey and do poor work..with only one exception and he doesn't answer his phone lately; moved away...remember, I am not speaking about painters in general, just in the area where I live. Good tradesmen are very hard to find.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.