1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

House fire damaged guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by banjo dave, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banjo dave

banjo dave Member

My Sons home caught fire and was a total loss. His guns were in a safe and now have water & smoke damage. None of them had burned wood however the smoke smell is very strong. Doen anyone know how to get this smell out of the wood and the metal. Appreciate any suggestions you might have and...

Thank you,

Dave Thomas

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Also you have to worry about how hot they got, and for how long.

Heat may have ruined them.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If the wood is not damaged I doubt they got hopt enough to hurt anything. Call a home restoration company and ask. They will sell you some product

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have only done this on a couple of guns and it worked for me. Clenzoil wiped on both the wood and metal. I did remove the forearms and barrels so they could be completely wiped. It removed the smell as well as the smoke damage, restoring the sheen of the bluing. These guns were in a gunsafe in a house that was totaled but it did not burn or melt the dial off. If they were burnt to the point that the metal was multi colored like case coloring I would question the integrity of the metal. Jackie B.

5. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Dave,

Were the guns in a safe?

Just because the wood is not burned, doesn't mean there was not some damage to the integrity of the metal. I am not sure how you would check that out.

6. banjo dave

banjo dave Member

The guns were in a safe and no wood had damage so I think the metal structure is ok but the water and fire retardent used sure does screw up the metal finish in some spots. I know some will need a blue job and I am cleaning them the best I can to stop the damage from getting worse. The smoke odor is very strong. Again thanks to all whom have suggestions, I appreciate your replys.

Dave Thomas

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I cleaned 19 gun that were in a house fire. The owner got them to me soon after the fire. I disassembled them and put the internal parts in oil. The outside had a mist of rust all over them. I used course burlap with oil on ht e a gently scrubbed them all down ASAP to stop any further rusting.. Then I did the same thing more throughly. It was almost a week before I got them all cleaned, inside and out. I did the same to the internal parts, reassembled them and test fired each one. 99% of the smoke small was gone from the wood by the time they were all finished. I rhem used Ballistol on the wood. I took pics before during and after. The Ins. adjuster could not believe the difference and my bill. He figured they were all going to have to be replaced.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I used a product called Nok Out quite some tie ago on an antique dresser that was in a house fire. Smelled terrible of smoke it is now in a spare bedroon with no hint of smoke even on warm muggy days. no website on the bottle I have but company address is Amazing Concepts LLC. 4475 Anderson Drive. Beaverton, Mi 48612. Cost me $14.95 for a quart at the time/7 years ago and I only used about half of the quart. Sprayed it full strength on the finished and the unfinished interior of that dresser and the smell went away!! Bill

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Update on NokOut. Just typed in nokout.com and they do have a website. Several other products also. Good luck. Bill

10. banjo dave

banjo dave Member

Thanks for the information Bill, I will contact them in the morning.

Dave Thomas

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Wood ignites at around 300 degrees C. The annealing process begins around 600 deg. I'd say you're good to go!!

12. BFE

BFE TS Member

I had a fire this past Sept. with the same type of damage.
    Give Doug Moser @ Glen Rock Blue a call 307-436-2330.
    Doug is repairing all my. Hope this helps. Brian

13. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Used car detail shops use an ozone generator to remove cigarette smoke odor from car interiors. Might be a workable solution (???).

A gunsmith at the Silver Dollar salvaged several high end guns about a year ago. Those guns were damaged much more severely than those that you describe and they turned out beautifully. His name is Ron Fisher. Do a Google search and you will find his contact info. Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do guns melt in a housefire

do guns melt in house fires

guns in a house fire

guns smoke damage

how to clean smoke damaged guns

ron fisher gunsmith

smoke damage guns

will a house fire damage a gun