1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hotel around Elysburg

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Anyone know of any good hotel deals around Elysburg for the Westy Hogan shoot? I need a room for Thurs-Sunday. I don't want to spend a fortune (shooting all events for all 3 days is going to cost me enough) but I also don't want to get a disease from a hotel room. Any recommendations?

2. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Try the Patriot Inn in Bloomsburg 1-570-387-1776, The price was $67.50 per night nice rooms restaurant and lots of restaurants around area. Bernie

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Best Western Danville Inn, 79 Old Valley School Road, Danville, Pennsylvania 17821-9510 Phone: 570/275-5750 | Fax: 570/275-9310

Often run room specials during major shoots.

MK

4. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

For the PA State shoot I stayed at the Econolodge, Shamokin Dam. (570) 743-1111.

It was about 30 minutes away due to a detour. It has a nice mexican restaurant and very small breakfast/cereal/bagel with room charge.

On page 111 of the PSSA shoot program 2010 , there are over 15 other hotels listed. good luck.

js in PA

5. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Whats the dates for this shoot

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I have only been shooting for 10 years but for those 10 years, the Westy Hogans was always the weekend AFTER Labor Day.

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Sept. 10-12

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

We stayed at the Econolodge in Shamokin Dam until we got a camper. Just make sure that you don't get a room facing the pool when there are a lot of kids there. You'll never get any sleep. The mexican restaurant was very good back then (2007).

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Looks like the Econo Lodge is going to be the place since they have the cheapest rates. Hopefully we get a camper for next year because hotel fees quickly add to the expense of ATA shooting.

10. Unknown1

Just curious...

How many nights in a motel can you buy for the cost of a camper and its yearly upkeep, etc.?

MK

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

" Just curious...

How many nights in a motel can you buy for the cost of a camper and its yearly upkeep, etc.?

MK"

I'm sure that I could get quite a few out of it, plus it could be put to use for stuff other than trap.

12. Unknown1

You might get some use out of it, but I have a few observation from firsthand experience:<UL>

<Li>Don't buy a camper and then look for things to use it for ("...<I>it could be put to use for stuff other than trap</I>...") to justify the purchase. If you don't do it now, you won't do it later.

<LI>To use a camper for shoots, the shoots need to be at a club that has RV hookups at the club or there needs to be a campground nearby (how close is "nearby"?).

<LI>If the hookups are at the club, you need to be able to reserve or lease in advance to stay there.

<LI>If the hookups are at a campground you will need to find and reserve (if possible) a spot for each shoot and then you may need a another vehicle to get back and forth to the shoot.

<LI>If you already have a vehicle that will tow a trailer comfortably, your only added cost (beside the trailer) is the nightly rental for the campsite (if you found one).

<LI>If you have to buy a vehicle to tow a trailer, there go the camper savings: the tow vehicle either becomes an expensive daily driver or an expensive driveway ornament.

<LI>Small trailers that can be towed with a 1/2 ton pickup, etc. are cramped and inconvenient for more than 1 night. The seating is minimal and the beds need to be put together and taken apart each day. The bathrooms are like phone booths and the closets are few. Big trailers that offer adequate space require dedicated tow vehicles. And you best be VERY good friends with whoever shares the trailer with you.

<LI>Buy a motor home and the same conditions will exist except it will be far more expensive to use and maintain.

<LI>Driving the motor home back and forth from a campground to the shoot is completely impractical with the unhooking, stowing etc. every morning, parking, rehooking etc. on return.

<LI>The other option is to buy and equip a small car that can be towed behind the motorhome as transportation. Not all can be towed on their wheels. You can see where this is headed.

<LI>All campers are just second houses (maintained, insured etc.) that need to be provisioned for each trip and cleaned and mothballed upon return. Who gets to do that? The preparation and planning beforehand adds to the time and preparation for going anywhere.</UL>

The majority of new RV owners find RVs (trailers or otherwise) less comfortable and less convenient than a motel and they soon tire of using them after up-sizing once or twice at additional expense to buy more comfort. And the depreciation on RVs is horrendous. I know; I sold RVs for a couple years at a big dealership when I retired from the service.

That's why I use motels.

MK

13. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

We've had an RV before and like them. It's something we've been considering for the past year or so and being able to use one to travel for trap is just another perk when considering if we'll actually purchase one.

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

MK, it's all in what you like.

I, myself, bought a cheap, older nice camper to try it out to see if I like camping. I love it. It's really nice to have a cool, private place to rest in between events when it's hot outside, or a place to hide (and change clothes) if it's raining outside. I don't have to worry that I've left my gun bag at the hotel. I don't have to eat restaurant food for breakfast or lunch...I get to make healthy choices from my fridge. I don't have to drive to the hotel late at night after I shoot off (and after all of the restaurants are closed). I get to sleep in my own bed with my favorite sheets and blankets(you know that the incidence of bed bugs, even in finer hotels, is on the rise).

If I stayed in hotels that are as good as my camper and the things that I have in it, then it would be pretty costly if I added it up for the year.

And I can attest to the fact that you don't need a monster camper to be comfortable if you are a normal-sized person.

15. Unknown1

recurvey, BROWN...

Not arguing with your points at all. Pointing out that the RV market is top-heavy with lightly used and late model trade-ins or resales because the RV lifestyle is not what many first-time buyers envisioned. And, unfortunately, it's not part of a salesman's job to point out the negatives to potential buyers.

Mechanical maintenance of cars, houses or RVs is beyond the capabilities or interests of many owners and the units are not built to be long-term durable. Some people I sold them to didn't know that their properties, neighborhoods, towns, etc. had restrictions or ordinances against home storage of RVs. I had couples bring back RVs because they quickly discovered that they each needed more "personal" (not physical) space than a 26-foot trailer gave them. (Had a couple resell a new trailer explaining, "We didn't realize we did so much to annoy each other until we bought this thing!") And many buyers found out that motel rooms were a better deal for them in the long run after they reflected on all the "expenses" for a year of RV ownership.

If you've found that RVs work for you, good. My point is that there are lots of reasons why lots of people should not own RVs. Unfortunately for them, they don't realize it until after they've committed to the purchase.

MK

16. j@c

j@c Member

Sorry Dixie, but the your info about campsites at the Cardinal Center is incorrect. There IS NOT a 3 year waiting list for campsites!! During our Cardinal Classic last week and the State Shoot back in June we turned no one away. We even found sites for those who arrived without reservations on Friday & Saturday. Maybe they didn't get prime sites but they did get a site!!

Just prior to the State Shoot we actually added an additional 34 sites so that we could be sure to accomodate all that wanted to camp with us. So don't stay away from the Cardinal Center because you think there isn't room, give us a call so we can get you registered for 2011!!!!

Jenna Walker
    Cardinal Center Campground Office Manager
    419-253-0800
    www.CardinalCenterCamp.com

17. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

Have always stayed at the Econo Lodge. Be sure to ask if they have "Shooter's rates" for this shoot.
    Be sure to take a side trip to Shamokin. There is a fantastic Italian restaurant there. Also one right on main street in Sunbury, same name, different people running it. Both good but I preferred the one in Shamokin. Awesome stuffed shells.

18. KaboK80

KaboK80 TS Member

Rich,the Pine Barn Inn is a nice place to stay. It is in Danville and close to some good resturants. It is also a good place to eat. you can call them at 570-271-2500.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If you're not afraid to spend a few bucks extra the Pine Barn is the best in the area. Very clean, good food and plenty of cold beer on premises. Not far from the shoot and no bed bugs!!

20. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I paid for my room at the Days Inn yesterday night. Anyone stay here before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.