1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hot Weather Shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fssberson, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well the hot weather snuck up on us in California. Saturday it was 103 at the Kern Gun Club. What a beautiful facility. I was shooting the first of two handicap rounds when my hands started shaking. I was dehydrated early and fortunately someone {Keith the ear plug man} gave me some of his special mix of electrolytes. In 20 minutes I was much better. From now on it is Gatorade early. Anyone have any special "secrets" for shooting in the heat? Fred

2. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

No doubt hydration is a must along with proper food intake. Light color clothing and hats that don't bake your head!

Shooting in the South can be a drag if not properly prepared. I carry a cooler if possible and have found that a bandana placed in ice water and placed on top of the head our around the neck can be a lifesaver.

38-01615

3. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

I LOVE THE HOT WEATHER!!!!....Fred is right though...lasat weekend we are frezzin in Tulare in the rain then 103 in Kern!!! gotta love Cali weather....I always drink water water water when shooting Gatorade too....no soda...on carbonation....KYm

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Water & Gatorade

John C. Saubak

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Cut your Gatorade 50/50 with water...it's less likely to cause stomach irritation and the stuff is so high in sugar it can afford to be cut. Better option is to buy the powdered form and mix it weak. I prefer the flavored waters myself like Fruit2-0 or Propel or a home mix of water and some sugar-free drink mix like 4C.

Eat light while shooting...avoid fats and sugars...Zone Bars are good during a shoot...developed for the purpose...again, no stomach irritation, light and satisfying. Kashi bars have less sugar than Zone Bars. Some "energy bars" contain 40 grams of sugar...read the labels. Lean toward protein foods and low-sugar liquids. Carbohydrates metabolize into sugars...too much sugar in the heat causes a sugar "let down" when the sugar is used up.

Don't take salt tablets...you don't need them and they require extra water intake. The body needs only 200 mg. of sodium daily to function correctly. A McDonald big Mac contains 15 times that amount. You'll get all you need even if you try not to.

Mike

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Propel, while lower in sugar, does not advertise electrolytes on their bottles. Also, I think consuming too much coffee is dehydrating [which I did]. While drinking a lot of water, I still needed Keith's secret mix with electrolytes. Also, with diabetes #2 and the meds, I have got to take in a little more sugar, so I think Gatorade EARLY is the answer. Also, wet towels in between fields really seems to bring down the body temps and is refreshing. On Saturday at Kern, you could feel the heat through the forend of your gun. It could be a long hot summer. Fred

7. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I have a small cooler with ice water in it. I will place drinks in it but I wil also have two towels. I will take one out just before shooting and tie it around my neck. It is good for one round. When you start the next round put the old one back in the cooler and get the other one. Keep doing this and it will help. The towel will not interfer in your shooting.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Last year at the Grand it was very hot. We brought cheap cotten terry cloth hand towels and kept them in a small cooler with tons of ice and water. Before going to the line I'd wrap one around my neck under my vest--it was great! I also use a headband dipped in the clod water and wrung out to keep the sweat from running down my forehead and to help keep my head cool.

Of course drink lots of water too.

Guy

9. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Propel, while lower in sugar, does not advertise electrolytes on their bottles."</blockquote>

The vast majority of trap shooters don't need added electrolytes during a shoot. Trap shooting isn't physically strenuous enough to require it even if you're woefully overweight, out of shape and sweat like a bathroom window in the winter. Soccer players and marathon runners, maybe...trap shooters, no. Sweating does cause electrolyte loss but the electrolytes have to be driven out of the blood and muscles by physical exertion and shooting won't do that.

But if you really feel you have to have electrolyte replacement, drink a little 4 oz. can of low-sodium V-8 juice cut with water...you'll get everything you need with no imbalances. The potassium it contains is valuable in the heat.

Mike

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I like the comparison of shooting targets for 12 - 15 minutes at a time to running a several hour marathon. That cracks me up.

Forrest

11. oldcop

oldcop Member

There is a neck band available in the tennis section of some sporting goods stores that has a granular gel substance in it that swells when soaked in cold water. It doesn't drip or dry out when you tie it around your neck, and can be resoaked in cold water when it warms up. After use, it can be dried out for the next time...they work great.

12. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Mike: Thanks for the tip on V-8 juice. Fred

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I have found by living and shooting here in Az. A light colored boony hat with a few wet towels to change to after each 25, and a nice cold jug of water makes for a good day. I also wear a light colored light material long sleeved shirt to cut the sun, works great to. Polorized Colored eyeglasses, but not to dark to where you can't see the birds. Makes for a nice day of shooting. Rich. (inPeoria,Az.)

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I posted this information last summer, just prior to the horrible long heat wave that we all experienced. Nice refresher course on what to look out for when one gets too hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.