1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOT weather shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bueno, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Bueno

Bueno Member

Yesterday a buddy and I shot a case of shells each, in an open field. Although the sun was mostly shielded by trees, the heat was substantial, and our scores dropped significantly.
    It was also unpleasant and exhausting to shoot under these conditions.
    Other than the normal measures of constant hydration, the wearing of light clothing and shorts, and using funny hats with fans on them, like this one....

bueno_2011_050484.jpg

What say YOU on ideas to combat the heat?

2. zzoom

zzoom Member

Shoot early or shoot late. Rest of the day, shop for your next new gun or reload.

3. Ross Randall

Ross Randall Member

I tried the wicking shirts. They do help a lot. Under Armor makes all kinds of wicking clothing. My wife found some at Kohls and then a friends wife sewed some pads in them. I also bought one at the Ohio States Shoot from a vender there. Plus a cheap $10.00 straw hat and I did ok for the heat. I have a pacemaker and some heart problems. These combined additions did help. I cannot say I scored any better scores with them, but I was at least more comfort while missing.. LOL

Ross Randall

4. cafowler

cafowler Member

Lots of water, gatoraide and a straw hat. I'll let you know after tomorrow how it works. Shoot at 9am, supposed to be 105 or so. Nothing worse than windy and 105. At least we don't have any humidity to speak of. Can't stand the humidity, I wilt fast.

5. Straight50

Straight50 Member

I like the fan on the hat Bueno. Mind saying where you got it? Solar powered too!

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Nothing worse than 105 with no wind at all.

I don't do Gatorade - diabetic. Those wet neck thingies you see at the Grand help some, but I still think it's about hydration, starting in the morning, a really light diet and loose fitting, light-colored clothing.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

i hydrate at least 5 days before shooting, I drink at least 64 oz of water every day. Go an evaporative hat from Hammacher Schlemmler --soak it with ice water--also I have several cooling neckerchiefs that swel lwhen cool--change every 25 targets. Passed out in the heat 4o years ago. Water & lots of it. More important than shells & chokes.

Phil Berkowitz

8. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

All of the above and ACCLIMATIZATION!

If someone is heading to Sparta from Calgary, it will take 10-14 days to fully acclimate, and your performance will show it.
    And BTW it's expected to be 118 in Phoenix today.

9. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

106 in Houston now.

We shot yesterday @ 104 - took breaks, ice water, wet cold towels around neck and top of head - shot 5 rounds and was cooked.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My boy called. It's currently 111 degrees at TwentyNine Palms. Supposed to be 115 before the days over. It has been over 100 all week and supposed to be 115 again tomorrow. He said he's pretty sure he's stationed in Hell. LOL
    grntitan_2009_2503143.jpg

11. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Grntitan,,,,,,seems I heard that analogy before,,,,,,,and that was in January........;)

12. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

The chickens are laying hard-boiled eggs This time of year.

13. shaggist

shaggist Member

Steps that I take to try to diminish the effects of heat in the hot and humid summers in NC are as follows:

1. Wear an Army pith helmet-allows for air circulation and shades your head, which is your body's radiator. The carotid artery and the jugular vein are very near the surface on each side of your neck, and you have a complete blood change in your head every 3 seconds;

2. Wear a Kool Towel pinned closely around your neck to cool the blood in the J vein and C artery. Re-wet every round with water from the water cooler;

3. Wear light-colored, evaporative clothing and wet it with water every round;

4. Drink a bottle of cold Gatorade every odd round and a bottle of ice water every even round;

5. Wipe your face and arms with a water soaked cloth in between rounds.

6. Try to take advantage of every patch of shade available except when you are on the line.

I still perspire heavily, but all of the above help keep my internal temperature under control, so that the heat doesn't effect my shooting adversely. All of the above measures will be much more effective in areas with low humidity levels, as the water soaked aids will dry more quickly and remove heat from your body much quicker.

Jack

14. Bueno

Bueno Member

Thank so much to Jack, Drew, Phil, Ross, zzoom and you all for the fantastic tips!
    BTW: You can get no sugar energy drinks, I put them in the freezer half full with water, let them freeze, and take them in the morning with me. By the time I get to the shooting grounds, they start to melt, and in another hour they will be cold.

15. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Zard, it has been great at Kingsburg! I measured 112 degrees in the shade over the past two days..yikes! Oh and when I opened my gun case this morning, my gun instantly sweated condensation...temperature differential from the hotel to the club. That is something I haven't experienced before. I hosed it down with Remoil and pulled my double barrel out for the same treatment.

16. Bueno

Bueno Member

Straight50

Amazon.com has almost identical hats on sale for $10 bucks. Here is the name: Solar Powered Fan Hat w/ Solar Panel on the Cap Front, White Color by Solar Wholesale

17. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Water .. water and more water!! You can't start drinking the day of the shoot and be ready. You need to start a couple of days before.. I also drink a small can of V8 juice in the morning to help replace some of the other stuff I sweat out.

Good hat.. cooling rags.. the wicking shirts are a plus, I purchase mine at Walmart.. brand called "George" Their $12 and some change .. and personally I think they are much better then the high $$ Under Armor or golf shirts.

Keeping fluids in your body is the name of the game.. without it, your out of the game!!

Jerry B

18. Bueno

Bueno Member

Here are a summary of the best hints to "keep cool" in HOT weather:

Shoot early in the AM or late in the PM

Wear wicking clothing

Hydrating days before the shoot

Wear cool towels around neck, wipe face and soak arms, head and neck with cool water after every round.

Wear light colors, stay in the shade as much as possible.

Take a cool break whenever possible. My dad always taught me that specially before any shoot off, ask for time out, and head for the bathroom and wash your face, hands, and throw water in your head, and face, and take al the time you need to center yourself, while the opponent soaks in the heat, lol.

AND PS wear a cooling fan hat,lol.