1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hot tub recommendations....Brands?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mt, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt

mt Member

Hope you don't mind but we'd love to hear about this as well. We were also looking at costco but don't know what to look for, what to worry about and which brands are best.

2. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

When I was looking everyone that I talked too and had actually had a hot tub told me Hot Springs, That is what I bought 3 years ago and I am still happy with it. I think I will go jump in now.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Both CalSpa and Hot Springs are good...more important is what the dealer is like...incase you need any repairs.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Jacuzzi, I'm told, makes the best pumps.

5. clayslayer27

clayslayer27 Member

bull frog. lots of power and easy on the wallet.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Wish I had one but my brother in law does and mine don't come close to this one. Shell warranty and motor horsepower is important. With the cost of electricity going up, that a consideration as well. Mine was made here in Michigan and can get parts local, I don't know about the Master Spa except it is built and looks better than mine.

Jerbear

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Here is my tub only mine is 4 years old. I still live in it and even in the winter it feels great.

Jerbear

8. clays

clays TS Member

I've got a cal-spa and I really like it (especially in the winter) mine is an older model with five seating positions and one lounge I think it only has about 50 or so jets, if I ever buy another one I will buy one with as many jets as possible. I think mine has a 4 hp and a 5 hp pump as well as a warm air pump and a regular air pump. Make sure you get a good quality cover to hold the heat and reduce operating expenses. I use the Bromine chemicals rather than the chlorine chemicals and it is very easy to maintain and keep the proper chemical balance in the water. I have learned not to use detergents or fabric softeners when you wash or dry your swimwear this cuts down on foam in the water and results in less maintenance and the need for fewer chemicals. (I know some people who believe swimwear and hot-tubs just don't belong together so to each his own) enjoy it and when you get one make sure you use it.

Clays

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

lr56- I've had a tub for about two years now and I got it over the internet. Do your homework as to what features you really need. You should be able to save many thousands by shopping on the net. Get one that has brand name componets. Hot tubs are kind of like batteries...there all made in just a couple of places and different names put on them. Very happy with mine. Get information on how to use the chemicals. Buy good sanitizer (bromine or chlorine) but you can adjust pH with baking soda (raising it) or muriatic acid (lowering it). Add shock every day or every other day. Mine will stay about 104 degrees year 'round, my electric bill is about 50-55 dollars extra per month. Well worth it! Bottom line....research, research, research what you need vs what you want. Enjoy.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. DJM

DJM Member

These are very expensive to repair so look for one that is reliable. I have a 12 year old Hot Spring and am satisfied. In a cold climate get one that has a seperate circuit for the heater. Mine does just fine in January when it's -20 deg. F.

11. William681

William681 Member

I have had a Sundance "Liberty" model since 1988. In 20 years I have replaced a pump gasket once and the cover twice, the Sun does a number on the vinyl of the cover. I keep it at 104 in the winter and 92 in the summer. Having it below body temp in summer really sucks the heat out of you quickly on a hot day.
    Bill

12. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

We have a Hot Springs Classic model thats been going strong for about 19 years here in the Northwest. As mentioned earlier we also replaced the cover twice, and just last month put a new pump impeller in the jet pump only due to lower pressure. This was a do-it-yourself job. Local dealers counter girl refers to it as the"dog bowl" model as it only requires washing now and then. We have used moth balls and D-Con in the pump compartment as the mice love to move in during winter months.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Back in 1996, my wife would have no rest until we got a hot tub, so she and the kids did the shopping and bought a very expensive Jacuzzi that held 800 gallons of water and had stereo speakers in the headrests. For about a year, it saw a lot of use. Then the novelty wore off and it saw only occasional use.

Well, we learned the hard way that outdoor hot tubs don't take well to being "occasionally." We had numerous pump failures and other electrical problems with it and every time, the service people would tell us that if we used it more, we wouldn't have those problems. Long story short, we gave it away last fall. There is NO market for used hot tubs, at least around here. I didn't get as much as a bite from an ad asking $500 for it and if I recall correctly, it was around $8,000 new.

Anyway, if you get one, USE IT or it will get expensive!

Ed

14. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

hotsprings is the way to go.
    have a used one and very happy with it; uses minimum electricity; well made. can not go wrong.
    have fun, and no splashing :)

15. Mono3811

Mono3811 Member

We've had a Superior Spa for about 4 years and have been very happy with it. I
    looked at most of the other brands and the Superior offered the most features.
    Swervice has been excellent for what little I've had to use it. Superior also
    has the longest tub warranty.

We use Nature's Two as a sanitizer. It's the esiest to use and the tub stays
    cleaner than with other chemicals.

16. Sam T.

Sam T. TS Member

Hi -

Costco's SPA is made by Infinity Spas. I am thinking about purchasing the LAGUNA model. Does anybody have any experience with this one?

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Had real good luck with our CalSpa. Had it for 10 years, then we moved. If you can somehow locate it in a screened-in porch on a concrete floor, you'll have the best set up.

18. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

1998 CalSpa.

Runs as good as it did the day it was bought.

Runs 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the evening on timer. Easy to maintain, ridiculously easy to maintain. Do a complete water change ever 3 months, shock it once a week, keep the brominator filled.

Get a good cover and the heater hardly runs even in the winter, just the filter runs. We live in PA and it gets chilly from Nov. - March.

In the summer months, its great with cool water. No need for a pool. Just jump in with a beer and run them jets. At night, turn on the heater about an hour before and you got good hot water.

Wife and I are just about to get in and soak for a half hour.

Do we get in every night? No

Is it still worth it? In out book, yes. I have no one even close to our back yard, we can soak and watch the deer come into the feeder, fox running by, etc... Would I want one if I lived in a row home in the Fishtown section of Phila? Probably no unless you are a complete exhibitionist.

Have fun, we sure do!!! In and out

19. mt

mt Member

Anyone have any experience with the wooden hot tubs, they look like wine barrels?

20. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

most of wood one's i've seen have plastic liners, look pretty nice and appear to be deeper than regular spas. dont know how they hold up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bullfrog vs hot springs spa

moth balls in hot tub