1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hot Loads?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by onlym12's, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

I'm going to a meat shoot in a few weeks, I was wondering if anyone had any

good "hot load" recipe's that will get my shot out there a little quicker,

especially from about 37-40 yds. I'm not sure about how you feel about telling

your "Trade Secrets", but any good ones that are safe as far as chamber

pressure goes, I would be willing to give a try.

My wife just told me to change this post, she said that it sounded like a

sexually inclined question. LOL She's got a good sense of humor, I never

thought of it that way.

The guys that I shoot with load thier own "Hot Shells", but don't want to give

away thier secrets

Thanks

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

1 1/2 oz #4,5,6,7 whatever (I prefer 6), 27 grains longshot, red AA wad, AA hull. This is pretty close, a little lighter, than the published load. Starting at around the 34, shoot an extra full choke. Aim low and if they are cutting left or right get way out in front of 'em. Pray that you dont have to shoot alot of these!

Forrest

3. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

Check your loading manuals for Herco powder. Get some serious velocity.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My pet recipe is as follows:

Remington hull (sts, gunclub, etc)

28.5 grains of longshot

Remington fig 8 wad

Remington 209 primer

1 1/8oz of 6's

This load is 1330 fps and will bust out as far as you need them to. Very light on recoil as fas as backup shells. If you shoot a ported gun it will be a little boomie.

ec90t

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If it is just one long range meat shoot I would not bother reloading. Try Winchester Supreme Elite Turkey(STXS12) 1 1/2oz high density 6 shot @1225fps, or the Supreme Game Load (X12XC) 1 1/2oz hard, copper plated, grex buffered 6 shot @1300fps.

If, like me, you are unwilling to put up with that amount of recoil, do as jamie suggests and use Nitro 27s in 7 1/2, or the STS Pigeon load (1 1/4oz 7 1/2 @1235 fps).

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

To get lower pressures you need a straight walled hull. to get more velocity and use heavier shot charges a slower burning powder is necessary. these are the basics.

That said, I kill the shit out of long range pheasants with copper 6, Federal Top Gun or equiv hull, Remington SP12 wad, and 32 grains of 7625.

I think it's about 1430 FPS.

You might get some Longshot loads to go a little better.

HM

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

You really don’t need a “hot load” to break long range targets. What you do need to do is learn to break long range targets using your current load. I do just as well with a 2 ¾ -1 1/8 -7 ½ load in a Federal Paper hull as anything.

When a target has reached its zenith (highest point) and is dropping, you need to hold under the target. This takes practice and usually some $$$ as you will be paying entry fees with no winnings until you learn the proper holds.

Also, you need to keep your swing going on a long range target. Don’t stop your swing and try to shoot the target like it is standing still because it is not.

That said, large shot (i.e., 4, 5 and 6) retains its velocity better than small shot ( 7 ½ or 8) so you don’t need to push large shot super fast to get it to the target as soon as a hyper velocity load of 8’s.

The advice to use a pigeon load (3 ¼ -1 ¼- 6 or 7 ½) is sound. You can break targets from just about anywhere with a pigeon load.

Herco in a straight walled Federal case is my favorite for 1 ¼ oz. or 1 3/8 oz of shot. I like to keep the velocity to around 1150 but you can go higher. You should find published loads at the Alliant web site for 1 ¼ and up loads using Herco. I use the Remington RP 12 and Federal 12S4 wads in a Federal Plastic Gold Medal hull and the appropriate charge of Herco to produce the desired velocity.

Copper plated 5’s (when you can find them) work well too.

8. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

Federal Gold Medal
    12S4 Wad
    32 grains of 4756
    winchester primer
    1 1/4 for 6's
    This is a 1325 FPS with only 8.8 psi.

It will break the target hard and you don't have to worry noise or recoil.

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Don't worry wireguy I won't give them your secret load.Look on the Hodgdon site and look up the 11/8 loads of Longshot.You can load some screamers with it but it does kick like a mule.

10. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

My favorite factory shoot off shells were the old Winchester AA's Black hulled International loads

3 1/4 dram - 1 1/8 - 7 1/2 Nickel plated shot

Still have a full box as a museum piece.

I would listen to school_teacher, sounds like he has shot more than just a few.

11. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

Winchester makes a High Velosity load, from the factory in a black hull. # 6, 7.5 1 1/4 oz of copper shot at 1400 fps. No need to load anything, checked them on the chronegraph 1400 fps. plus.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

1 3/8 # 4 or 5, 27 grains 800X, they will smoke at 50 yds

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Remington Nitro sporting clays loads are a good long distance shell and will dispatch a target from any place you can see them from, and won't beat the living hell out of you ... Tell your wife to get her mind out of the gutter and go get you some shells at the local WalMart ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. JRD

JRD TS Member

1 1/4 of #6's with a winchester wad, Active 1 piece hulls, and a healthy amount of blue dot( I'd rather not publish how many grains, its probably not safe in all guns.) Have fun, but dont forget it will wipe that smile off your face when you pull the trigger.

15. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

It's not real hot or very impressive but 1 1/8 of 6's will break a target as far as any load out there. My favorite load is 1 1/8 of 6's federal gm hull 18.5 grains of nitro 100 federal 12s3 wad and federal 209A primer. Over the chronograph it's only about 1265fps but it works if you can point it in the right spot. We shoot annie oakleys from the 55 yard line and 4th or 5th shots can be in the 110 yard range and this load breaks targets as hard as the some of the heavy loads some of the guys at our club shoot and you can shoot them all night with no need to change shells for different shots or developing a major flinch. This load patterns as well at 80 yards as any load I've seen in the 2 3/4" 12 gauge. This said if you are confined to factory loads win AA super pigeon loads at 1250fps with 6's work well too.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We used to shoot a very nice duck shell at 1450 with 1 & 1/8 oz of 6 shot.

The high flyers didn't have a chance. Of course this was before steel shot.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.