1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady Versalite Wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dwmiller, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwmiller

dwmiller TS Member

I was just given several bags of the original red Hornady Versalite Wads.

I have found load data for these. But are they a better HDCP wad or short yardage wad?

Thanks in advance

Doug Miller

2. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

These wads are now made by DownRange Mfg. Co. and are an extremely versatile wad. They are now currently made with better plastic than they were when made by Hornady. I have used them in 1 oz. loads as well as for 1 1/8 oz. handicap loads. They are very slick and reload very easily, leaving little or no barrel residue. In my opinion there is not a better wad on the market particularly for handicap loads.
    My personal favorite is 19.5 gr. of Green Dot in a STS hull, WW primer which results in 1200+ and great patterns.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are a decent long range wad for handicap. They work well at all ranges, but seem to perform better than some at the longer yardages. It's been a while since I've used the old Hornady wads, but I can tell you the Downrange Red Versalite is as good or better.

4. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Love them for Pondos!!!

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hi Mike,

I also like the 12S3 wad for the longer ranges. It works fairly well with 1 1/8 oz loads as well. I also used one of the older Remington field load wads for awhile, but had a hard time obtaining them and their performance wasn't quite as good. They had petal cuts only halfway down the cup if I remember correctly. I still have some squirreled away somewhere, but they haven't seen the light of day in a number of years. I'm real happy with the new Downrange Red Versalites and their clone of the Federal 12S3 (DRF3) at longer yardages. Unfortunately, I use 1oz loads almost exclusively these days and the 12SO is my first choice, even for some 7/8 oz loads as well. My last conversation with Kevin at Downrange wasn't encouraging for the hopes of a 12S0 clone. They do produce their XXL, but I haven't found it to be quite the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
horady versatite wads

hornady versalite wad load data

hornady versalite wads

hornady versatile wad
hornady versatite
hornady wads
versalite wads load data
versatile wads