1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady steel cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by broadway john, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broadway john

broadway john Well-Known Member

Can Hornady steel cases be reloaded? I have cases from Hornady Steel Match ammo in .308 and would like to reload if possible. All cases fired from 1 gun and will be reused in same gun, bolt action rifle.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

3. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Also no, steel cases should not be reloaded and also they are primed with berdan primers.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not all steel cases are Berdan primed. Many are now Boxer primed. I do believe the Hornady are non-corrosive Berdan primed though.

I have shot quite a lot Tula brand 5.56 ammo with steel case and boxer primed.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

They can be a little more of pain, and they can't be reloaded as many times, but they are reloadable. Boxer primed are definitely preferable, but berdan primed can be reloaded as well (just a LOT more work). Google "reloading steel cases", lots of info. I've started collecting Wolf and Tula .223s to set aside for "just in case" since brass cases are pretty scarce right now, and my supply isn't as large as I'd like it to be.

I loaded one Tulammo steel case .223 just as a trial run. Sizing, depriming, trimming, and chamfering were all almost indistinguishable from loading a steel case. In fact, except for the color of the metal, I couldn't tell you the difference. Fired fine, and could be reloaded at least 1 more time. From what I've read, the case mouth will crack first, then they need to be tossed. They also may dull your trimmer faster, but replacement shafts for the case trimmers are relatively inexpensive to resharpen or completely replace.

All in all, I would say brass cases are definitely preferible, but if steel is all you can get, you can make due with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.