Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HORNADY loaders

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  il shooter 
#1 ·
Well after 40+ years I wore-out a piece of linkage on my old out of production Pacific\Hornady 266 loader (my fault because I didn't grease it) called Hornady to see if any parts were available. Tech said they used the same part on the 366 & would send one right out, Took my mailing info, then when I tried to give him my credit card # he said NO CHARGE I said NO WAY it was my fault, he just said he hoped I got another 40 years out of it. ( UUMMMM I'm 72, so 40 more??????) Anyway that's some customer service. THANK YOU Hornady-------Ross Puls

EDIT-- Called on a Tue. afternoon, part arrived in Fri. mail. NO CHARGE, put it on and the machine is just like new.

#6 ·
The only problem I have had is that if you need a part for your 266 that is NOT used on the 366 you are SOL!

I had to make a charge bar (interesting project and thankfully they gave me drawings of the part) for my 12 ga one, and then I had to make a drop tube for my .410 model and they wouldn't give me the drawings for that part so I had to figure it out on my own.

They don't support any machine or tool that they don't currently manufacture. Once the parts inventory is gone,,,it's gone. Example: they don't support any Pacific Reloading dies. They want to sell you new Hornaday dies instead.

Other than these problems, I think their service is great!

Randy

#7 ·
Hornady is great when it comes to customer service. I just can't wear my 366 out. They have always treated me fair with parts or general questions.

I do understand the frustration of finding parts for old machines but they can't make parts for old models forever. I restored several older machines and had to be creative on some of them. The best way is to find a parts machine. I have found these old models show up really cheap at garage sales, auctions etc.

For what its worth, MEC doesn't have parts for some of their old machines either. I needed a piece for my dad's old MEC Super Speeder and MEC said no dice. Thanks to the good folks on here, I aquired a near new one from a fella that just happened to have one.

#8 ·
Hey... don't be dissing our Apexes... OK, so a bit too much plastic and a somewhat lame primer feed, but I still own five machines (4) 3.1 and (1) 3.0...

I stocked up on some extra parts and they have their quirks, like all reloaders, BUT they also make a nice shell...

More advanced than the 366, offering easy change bushings, easy pull of any hull in the rotation; full resizer in the de-prime station, hull detects for primer, powder and shot drops...

an honest assessment... if they could've done a better job with the primer feed mechanism and had a bit less plastic... that machine would still be a current offering.

Jay

#10 ·
I have an Apex 3.1 Automatic. The coiled sleeve around the depriming die size body is broken. It appears that this holds the inside components from sliding out. I've been able to find all other parts from Hornady, but they no longer have any of these left and do not plan on getting any in. Does anyone have one available for sale or know where I can purchase one? Without this the first station does not work.
Thx, Larry

#11 ·
hmb,

It depends on if it has the updates done to it or not. If its all the Pacific baby blue color, it likely does not have the updates. That in my opinion greatly lessons its value although it is still quite useable. Send me some pics if you choose and I can tell you more.

#12 ·
Hejumper...

While not the fix you might hope for... early 3.1s had the deprime setup using the original 3.0 hardware... while I never had an issue with the original setup on my 3.0, contact Hornady to see if they have that hardware and might be willing to provide that assembly at little or no cost... part of the reason I started collecting machines (at firesale prices), was for spare parts...

Regards,

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.