1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady crimp starter on MEC press?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever modified a mec press to utilize a hornady 366 crimp starter. I got the crimp starter alrady (just the plastic bit) to try on my 28ga. Man, just pushing the starter down on a hull by hand to form the crimp after i've put the powder shot and wad in, puts ALOT nicer pre-crimp, and consequently final crimp on my shells than the MEC spindex crimp. Only problem is that I can't figure out a way (yet) to easily adapt the hornady starter permanently to the press that'll still allow the starter to spin freely to line up w/ the original crimp.

Any thoughts? This is kinda a last ditch effort to save my 9000g's, if I can't make this work, i'm going to buy a PW when I can save up a little bit of $ and sell all 4 9000s that i have...

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I doubt if the crimp starter makes much difference in the crimps you are getting, Far more likely is the fact that you are carefully aligning and using hand pressure to pre-crimp. So, if you were somehow to hook up the hornady crimp starter to the MEC machine, likely it would do just about the same job as the MEC crimp starter. The MEC crimp starter works just fine, as long as it is properly adjusted. I get nice factory like crimps just about every time. They work great, so what more can you ask for?

Jim R

4. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

you can put a crimp starter off a pre 82 600jr {it is metal} with a few of the washers that come with the 600jr to make it work, I'm not much for rigging but it will work. Also you can't buy them new but I have one if you are interested.

thanks
    lee

5. skeet_man

Thanks for the help guys. I managed to get the hornady crimp starter on yesterday. I drilled a 4-40 hole on a 1/4-20 bolt, then screwed the crimp starter to that, then attached the same way the spindex starter is attached. Its definitely an improvement, but not a huge one. I'm getting alot of "12 point" crimps now (6 point crimp that is 30 degrees off of lining up with the original folds). I guess it was worth a shot for 10 bucks. I've also tried the older steel crimp starter, that actually appears to be worse when running the shells on a 9000 (it was MUCH better on a 600jr, but with the jr you can start crimp by "feel" rather than having to bottom the machine out every time).

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Skeet man, no one can say your afraid to try something different thats for sure!You didn't realize the crimp starter had to "float" to find the folds in the hull? :) Hap

7. skeet_man

hap- the way I attached the hornady starter, it does allow it to spin freely, actually it appears to be a little more free spinning than the mec starter. Spolar attaches their crimp starter in the same manner that I attached mine, in fact thats how I came up with the idea.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Sort of like putting lipstick on a pig, isn't it?

It's just not necessary. lol lol

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec crimp starter

mec crimp starter bolt metric thread

mec crimp starter problems

mec spindex crimp starter