1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady Bullet Feeder Die

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ajax, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Has anyone used and had trouble with the Hornady bullet feeder die?

I just bought a 9mm and adjusted it every possible and I can not get it to drop bullets consistently.
    I have tried a number of different bullets but non seem to be any better than the others.

Thanks

2. dklees

dklees Active Member

Sorry Ajax. I haven't used one from Hornady. Suggest you give them a call or an email to see if they can help you.

Used a Dillon 650 and had case feeder. Had a little trouble, but resolved it with a call to Dillon. I'm betting Hornady will be happy to help you get it going. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The bullet feeder dies and systems I have used have all been very finicky. I have found my fingers to be the only reliable feeder although slower.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'll call them tomorrow. I thought someone may have gone through the trouble before.

Grntitan, I thought this might help, I'm pretty well left handed until the shoulder operation.:icon_frown:

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Just a thought but have you given the die a through cleaning and degreasing? Could it be possible that there is some oil/grease/rust preventative in the die that sometimes may cause some stickiness?

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yep, I have. The machine cuts in the collets are so sharp they seems to grab the bullets.
    If I take it apart and drop a bullet in collet A, the bullet sticks and won't fall out when I turn the collet over.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I may not be the only one with troubles.
    I went on You tube and there seems to be a lot of questions about how to make these things work.

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ajax, that is what is supposed to happen when you drop a bullet into collet A. Here are some things to check. First, disassemble the die and clean every piece, inside and out, with alcohol. It just won't work if not spotless. Next, adjust the die as shown in the instructions. You need that half turn of slack for A and B to work together properly.

The next thing to check is your expander. Hornady specifies a specific expansion dimension for each caliber. If you are too small, it won't activate the feeder. It won't work if too large either. The depth of the die in the press is also important. I found Hornady's recommended adjustment procedure problematic. Now I adjust the die down a little at a time until it will feed a bullet. Then I continue adjusting down until the bullet is pushed as far into the case mouth as I want. Then I lock everything down.

Next, look to your bullets. The die is only rated for jacketed bullets, but plated works as well. Also, some poly coated bullets will work, as long as they are the correct diameter and have a beveled base.

I had a problem with my 40 cal bullet feeder die. The 45 die worked like a charm right out of the gate. With the 40, when I got it to work at all it would drop 4 or 5 bullets at a time. I tried everything Hornady said to try with no luck. They sent me new A and B collets, and they worked fine.

9. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

When I first received it.
    I cleaned every thing with Brake cleaner. Adjusted the collets according to direction. I only used FMJ or plated @355 diameter bullets.
    I did find the bell to be a little larger than recommended. So I readjusted it to exactly what was recommended. It did seem to work better.

I'll try adjusting the die down a bit and see if that helps. It does not put the bullet in the case as far as I would like.

Thanks

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ajax, I now set the bullet far enough into the case that I cannot pull it out with my fingers. It cured a lot of problems.

You have to keep the collets clean. I'm not sure what gets into them, but I'll sometimes have recurring problems feeding. If I empty the die and brush the insides with a clean bristle brush, that usually solves the problem.

Some plated bullets are more consistent than others. For instance, I have far fewer feed issues with Rainier plated than I do with X-treme plated. Good luck.

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

zzt, I lowered the die down enough to stick the bullet in the case and it seems to have helped. It still is not trouble free, but better.

I took it all apart again and cleaned it with brake cleaner and a stiff brush.

The cuts on the die have such sharp edges, they grab on anything.

12. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Rather ingenious that it can feed a bullet thru the die and still seat it enough to hold it until the next station. I never knew how they worked.

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

There are a few different styles. I think the Mr bullet feeder die would probably be the best. It is set up with ball bearings that push up in a slot and allow the bullet to drop.

We had a situation that used the same principle at work and it was bullet proof. :icon_lol:

14. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Called Hornady this morning and talked about the die being inconsistent.

New collets are on the way. Good doing business with a great company!

15. dklees

dklees Active Member

This is why I like using Hornady, as well as other companies, that treat their customers with some old fashioned value & respect. It's good for us and good for them. I'm glad you called and I hope you get it all resolved, then post up a nice how to do it video.