1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hornady apex what can you tell me

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I found a guy who has one what are the pros and con

2. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

What are they worth.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Watch out for those red plastic crimp heads...they tend to break on you. Just need to have replacements handy.

4. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I had one and it was a disaster. Never did work right for me. Primer feed problems. They advertised "keeps your bench and mouth clean" That was not true with mine. I finaly sent it back to the factory and had them rebuild it. When I got it back I sold it for $125.00. I don't think they have parts for these anymore as they stopped making them a few years ago. Other poeple might have had a good one but, I DID NOT!!!!

Ken Cerney Wisconsin

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I turned one down on another forum when I discovered they are not making parts for it. It was not a good venture for Hornady.

They will support it to the level of existing parts stock, no more. This was reported by anothe poster on that forum.

HM

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Had one of them and I gave it away. Get a used MEC. FWIW. jm

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I must be the odd man out but I have been running an Apex (and a 366 also) for several years. I bought mine as a Apex 3.0 shortly after the 3.1 model came out. I bought it from some dealer at the Vandalia Grand who threw in a free conversion kit to 3.1. As I recall at that time the price was somewhere around $120. I had looked at the Apex to go with the 366 for a couple of reasons. Uses the same bushings as the 366, did shell resizing as a regular station and not the "add-on" station like the 366, allowed shell removal easily at any station and the BIG reason, the Apex had automatic shot and powder cut offs for those times I screwed up and didn't have a shell under the drop tube.

I have had very little trouble with the Apex once I learned the proper adjustment procedure. I read the book and it pointed out where I went wrong. There were no problems for the first year or two but then one irritant came up. The problem I had was with the primer dropping reliably. It was a sometimes kind of drop. Talked to Hornady at the Grand that year. They gave me a new primer tray and link but the problem still sort of remained. A phone call got me started as to where to look and the book gave me the remaining details. The re-size/deprime station got out of adjustment (most likely because of my error) and didn't kick the primer drop over quite far enough some of the time. Doing that took care of most of the problems and removing a burr from the top of the primer drop tube completed the fix.

There was also a problem, taken care by a free new die body from Hornady for the resize station. That problem had Winchester Double AAs sticking in the die sometimes. This was LONG, LONG before the new style AA case.

Other than a screw up or two on my part, like pulling a part or two off and dropping it, I have only had to replace some wad guide fingers. Actually thinking about this I just realized that something I posted a couple of days ago about a 366 will have to be edited. It was actually the Apex where I am wearing the primer seater base down. I, erroneously, put that down as a 366 problem. It is actually the Apex.

Overall I have had very good success with the Apex (and the 366 also). My guess about the comment above of cracking the red plastic crimp starters, would make me think that they may have been screwed down to far or perhaps the sizer/deprime station was screwed to high up. I have not ever cracked a crimp starter.

The comments about parts availability are accurate. Hornady confirmed that at a Grand a couple of years before the ATA left Vandalia. I have not needed any parts since then but I do realize that should something break I might be back to only the 366.

IF the press you are looking at has not been abused by operator caused problems like die adjustments or using improper lubricants or cleaners and does not have excessive wear, putting a few bucks into it could be justified. I would not go higher than $50 or so for a press that has been properly handled by its previous owner. Any signs of abuse, excessive use, looseness or such would make me pass on the deal.

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I used an APEX 3.0 for years with no problems, except for the occasional primTer drop issue. If you keep it clean and adjusted, it serves well and makes great reloads. I did especially like the powder and shot drop method with its separate operating rods for each, as well as the feature that prevents drop of either if a shell is not present. Like all mechanical devices, of course, it can get out of adjustment, or parts can wear. The biggest problem now is whether or not a particular part is available from Hornady if needed. Most wear is in such areas as the shell carrier, plastic crimp die and the resizing station. Can be hard to adjust, but if you have the full manual, that explains most issues pretty well. If the you are looking at is in good condition, never been abused, and is not simply worn out, would be okay I think, but again, parts may be hard to get. The MEC 9000 is a better loader overall however, and you should be able to find one of these used for a pretty good price also.

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

Had (have) one in 12 ga. Got replaced by a PW, so that's not really a slam on the Apex. I never had a problem with the red crimp gizmo and can't see how you could. Won't drop shot or powder where there's no hull - that's way good. Smoother handle feel than a MEC, not as good as a 366. If you are in to the 3.1 version, there is the occasional need to replace the gas cylinder that advances the turret. And the turret permits easy removal of a single shell. Like nearly all reloaders, I think the weak link is primer delivery and the Apex is no exception; the best cure is to get into the habit of looking for the new primer before you pull the handle.

10. lumpys600

lumpys600 Member

My father had one for a few years before he past away. So now i have it and i love it.After i found out that it is know longer in production. I started looking for more of them on the internet.I think i have 4 of them now for parts. Once you get past the early stages of learning them. I think you will like the reloader.Also I've been ave. 10000 reloads per year for the last 5or6 years with very little problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
apex hornady
apex-91

hornady apex

hornady apex 91
hornady apex vs 366
hornadyappexvedio