1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by emm2, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emm2

emm2 Member

I am wanting to know your opinions of a Hornady 366 reloader? Are these as good or better than a MEC? Thanks Shane

2. Joe O

Joe O Member

Bought mine in the 70's, still using it, couldn't be happier
    Joe O

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Shane,

That's what I use. Very solid, robust reloader. I've never used a MEC 9000, so I can't compare.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a Pacific 366 which is the same machine just earlier model. They are built like a tank and once you figure out their little quirks(all loader brands have quirks) you can spit quality looking shells out at a furious pace. I have a Mec 600jr single stage and it serves its purpose as well but its no Hornady 366 progressive loader. I have tried the Mec 9000 and it makes nice looking shells too i just thought you had to work alot harder to get the job done. The Hornady works different than the Mec which makes pulling the handle much easier. Its a leverage thing. Thats my 2 cents.-----Matt

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Had mine for about 25 also and I highly recommend a 366 . Helped 4-5 other members get theirs and they are not disappointed in any way .

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Got a Pacific 366 back in 1976. Still using it and it still turns out nice looking and good performing shells. Over the years, when Hornady (who bought out Pacific) comes up with an upgraded part, it is almost always retrofitable back to the older machines. Over the years I have upgraded a few things like the auto-index, the primer seater punch and one or two other things that I can't recall. Keep it lubricated and cleaned and it should last you a lifetime.

Two things that you should be aware of. There is no auto-shell detect on either the powder or shot drop so if there is no shell at that station and you forget to turn the powder or shot drop off manually, you will have a clean-up job to do. The other thing is that there is no way other than revolving the shell carrier around manually to remove a shell you may want to take off the press and then putting the other shells back in the turret in the proper order. Its not hard to do and you can catch on to the process quickly.

Hornady supports their products VERY WELL. In fact I just bought some parts that began to show their wear, for a Hornady Apex 3.0 converted to 3.1. They had all the parts I wanted even for this machine that has probably been out of their product line for ten or so years and I bought that press maybe five or ten years earlier than that. Parts for the 366, even my Pacific (circa 1976 model) are directly orderable from Hornady. Hint: If you do give them a call, listen to the entire answering message. It is one of the more original messages you will hear from any such system.

Never had any chance, or desire, to use any other progressive shotshell reloading press so I can't compare to other manufacturers but the way the 366 just keeps on chugging along, it will probably be loading shells for any grandkids that come along long after I become the dust that will drift down on the press. (That is presuming that the politicians do not succeed in their efforts to keep all guns out of peoples hand!)

7. grntitan

John---What took you so long to respond here? As soon as i saw this post i was watching and waiting from the 366 man. Hope that new one gives you as many years as the old one.-----Matt

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

My opinion is....They are the best for the money! I've got one that probably has thousands of rounds on it, and it still loads great!

Matt Woodson

9. Pa Clay Trgt

Pa Clay Trgt TS Member

Shane, The 366 will last as long as you treat it well. I have mine for 25-30 yrs.

pyrdek. I found a solution for the removal of the shell after the powder drop station, by cutting the steel ring that carries the shells around the base, and removing enough to pull the shell off. Also drilled 1/8th" holes in the baseplate to allow freerange shot to escape. Enjoy the 366. Ken Foster

10. grntitan

Ken---My Pacific already had holes drilled in the base for those pesky run away shot pellets. I would be interested in seeing your shell removal mod or at least hear a little more about it. Do you have any problems of a shell slipping out of the sections you removed? That is one of the only draw backs of the loader, no way for shell removal for a quick inspection.----Matt

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Had my two since the late 70s - got them straight from Jim Garber, customer service guy for Hornady. He used to babysit me when i was a young un.

Thousands and thousands of rounds later, still working great. For the money, hard to beat.

12. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'll chime in....

My Pacific is a 1972. Inherited from father-in-law. I have no idea how many thousands it has loaded. 10k a year since I have had it.

A real machine when you get it set right and Hornaday is AWESOME with service.

SW

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Bought my first 366 20+ years ago and now have them in 12,20,28 and .410. They are very durable, turn out good shells and Hornady supports their products. Tried the MEC in .410 but after much frustration, spilled shot (bridging?) and bad crimps dumped it for the 366. The 366 holds the .410s securely and is much more user friendly than the MEC in my opinion. The MEC would probably be okay if you loaded only one .410 hull so as not to require adjustments.

14. emm2

emm2 Member

Thanks for all the responses, obviously they are a great unit.

15. leftex

leftex Active Member

Bought my first 366 in 1984. I now have 4. Had a few MECs along they way. I prefer the 366. So easy to keep running.
    Now if someone would come up with either a hydraulic or electric assist for a reasonable price......

Wayne

16. grntitan

Shane----I believe that there is an electric assist unit that works the handle. It is made by the same company that does the P/W electric assist. It is pricey and if i remember right its about twice the price of the loader.----Matt

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

emm2,

If you get a 366, check out my website or email me. I carry all bushings, wad guides, and crimp starters.

Matt Woodson

18. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have a Pacific 366 DL. Does anyone know if I can get something to make it auto index? It would be nice to pull the handle and have the deck turn.

Thanks GS

Remtic thanked this.
  19. grntitan

GS---It can be made into an auto index but you will have to call Hornady and give them your serial # and i believe the lower casting will have to be changed. This may involve you sending it to them to do. I would say if they were reasonable enough price wise you wouldn't be sorry having it done.----Matt

20. claysetc

claysetc TS Member

Midalake you have a private message

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady 366

hornady 366 auto shotshell reloader
hornady 366 for sale
hornady 366 forum
hornady 366 reloader for sale
hornady 366 reloader review