1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hornady 366

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by harpo, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harpo

harpo TS Member

any oppions on a hornady 366 reloader ihave a mec 9000g have a chance to pick up used 366 for about 250$ good by or not?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Tried & True over about a half century, and still popular. That should tell you something. That's a great price if it's in good shape and has the updates (swing-out wad guide, shell drop hole, shot & powder shut-offs and primer shut-off). Ten shell per minute, parts are plentiful and factory support is superb.

-Gary

3. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I am thinking of acquiring a 366 also. I have to be honest, I use a MEC9000 with adjustable bar ... and am always fiddling with it to get the perfect stack-height for the best looking crimps. Plus I switch over from 1 hull to another about every 2 weeks. Will the Hornady allow me to do all those things .. and not get frustrated ?

4. WWB

WWB Member

Just bought a 366--got a really good deal on a like new press. However, in talking to 366 guys around here some upgrades are nice--not necessary but help make it even better. They and Hornady-depending on vintage of press recommended a new shell plate, improved pawl,& the spring loaded primer punch. I also needed a new shot/powder shut off plate. [mine had been messed with], & when it came all the holes were drilled wrong--so come Monday Hornady and I have to talk. But all in all once you understand the press it seems as simple to adj and operate as the Mec and is sure a lot stouter--time will tell if their service and customer care is as good as Mec's!
    Willie

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Went from mec grabber to a 366 in about 1988 bought a new spolar in 09 or 2010 went back to my 366 after about a month. Gave the spolar to the kid. Just could not get use to having to push the handle all the way back to the top on the spolar. Still love my 366. Bill

6. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

I think it was the 100th Grand or the year before while there my friend bought a Hornaday 366 Auto and the press still had the old Pacific name on it . The original Pacific Gunsight Co. from the 1920's , and from 1950's to 1992 produced this reloader until Hornaday bought the name . My Uncle had an old blue colored Pacific . They are machine shop quality tools . I have a Mec 9000G myself and the Mec's are toys compared to the Pacifics/ Hornaday's .

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Built like a Sherman Tank. Great customer service with friendly helpful folks. Makes great loads. Easily adjusted. Simple design. Perhaps the most consistent primer feeding system of all the loaders. What's not to like? Mine is an older Pacific DL-366 with the modern upgrades and still makes great reloads. Truly a loader capable of lasting a lifetime.

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Only one problem with a Pacific/Hornady 366 Auto.

You will have to specify in your will which heir will inherit it. Otherwise you might start a family feud.

Yes, with anything approaching normal use and care, that press will out live you!

This from a 366 owner who bought mine in 1976, put a few of the updates on it over the years and took a break from loading on it to check the e-mail. Mine is painted Hornady Red but has the name Pacific on its casting.

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

I qwn both a 366 and a mec. both are great machines! The only advantage I see is that the mec resizes without the extra station the 366 requires. I use the mec for singles and double shells and the 366 for my handicap loads.

10. jpinto101

jpinto101 TS Member

Had a mrc 9000 sold it after I got a hornady 366. To me there is no comparison. Hornady is better quality and support is much better

11. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I bought a new Pacific 366 / Hornady in 1976 or 1977. All the talk about the upgrades are ancient history. I bought mine direct from Hornady and it came with Auto-Advance, swing out wad guide, shell drop hole and chute, and all these things people are still hung up on. They are a great loader and in 30 plus years I have spent around 30 dollars ordering new parts, online from Hornady.

I have owned MEC and still own a PW 800B along with my Pacific/Hornady 366. The PW has a fancy red cloth dust cover that has sat over it for years and the MEC's are long gone. I use the 366 and recommend getting one to everyone. MY 2 cents.

12. Sonnylee

Sonnylee TS Member

[​IMG]

Got three of them and looking for more! Can't beat them..

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I love my 366. I actually ended up with a practically brand new one, for free. I bought, repaired and resold MECs to accomplish this. There's just no comparison between the two. I'll gladly deal with the separate resize station on the 366, rather than deal with that finicky collet setup on a MEC.Do a search on here for people looking for help with their MEC vs. people looking for help with a 366. Yes, it's true that more people own MECs, but it's still no comparison in my opinion. There's just far less things that can go wrong on a 366.

14. Joe O

Joe O Member

If you know of anyone Looking I have a 410, 28 and several 12ga for sale in the F/S threads. A move has forced me to part with several. I bought my "Pacific" back in the 70's also. No complaints. I do resize on a seperate Mec SuperSizer though, makes the loading go nice and smooth. Wouldn't use anything else.
    Joe O

15. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

you can go on ebay and find about any used part for a mec.not so w/a 366.people just don't scrap out a 366.used parts are almost impossible to find.(i know,been looking).there is a learning curve w/a 366 but once you get the hang of it they are as good a loader as you can get.there are some changes you can make to the loader that make things work a little better but you can do that after you have had the loader for a while.good luck.

16. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

I am really thinking hard about buying a new 366 but am struggling over whether it is worth it. i buy shells at our club for 6 bucks a box and don't know how much cheaper i can reload for. i don't know but i would probably be able to shoot alt more if i reloaded though buying components once a year. thoughts??

17. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I can reload considerably cheaper than I can buy any factory shells and I enjoy reloading, as well. I have loaded thousands of shells on my Hornady 366 for over twenty years. Hornady service is unsurpassed.

18. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I had a MEC 9000 and got rid of it. I bought the 366 and have never looked back. The Hornady is a tank compared to the MEC. The 9000 was a lot more "finicky" then the 366.

Doc

19. hdbrs

hdbrs Member

Hey pviper how much do you figure it costs to load a box of shells at todays component prices? do u load 1 1/8 shells or 1 or 7/8 to save a few bucks. a new hornady is @ 650 on midway give or take. im just wondering because that is something i think i may enjoy doing also

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Buying a new one obviously takes a little longer to average down the costs. Used ones come up for sale often enough, to where you can get one for less then half that of new, and still function the same.

Once you get the hang of dealing with the extra station for re-sizing, and getting it in the routine, you can make the hull change out pretty fast with one hand motion. I try to re-size with the MEC Sizemaster just to make the hull loading go more smoothly, just to avoid the push out of the sized hull. Even though it is not that bad. Not even close to the feel of the PW 800B ejection of the sized hull force, that I also use. I got the PW for under $100, so I couldn't refuse.

I live in MEC country, thirty miles away. While I think they are great machines, the 366 was my first progressive machine, and never felt the need to change from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady 366 forum

hornady dl-366

pacific gunsite 366

troubleshooting hornaday 366 shell plate will not advance

used hornady 366 reloader