1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 w/auto assist

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 2244alamoet, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2244alamoet

2244alamoet Member

has anybody out there had any experience with the Hornady 366 with auto-assist.I'm thinking of buying one and would like some imput from previous users.

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I don't have experience, but I have been told it is a waste of the extra money when I was asking about it too.

3. himark

himark Well-Known Member

It is purely there not to "assist" you as much more to actually STOP a user from operating it with there head up butt by being to jerky and quick on the handle.

These things are just a gas shock like your liftgate/hood supports on your vehicle. Over time they wear out and you have to prop open the liftgate or hood. I prefer the loader without them. But I am pretty sure you can run the newer ones without the gas shock??

4. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

I bought one and installed it on my 366. Big disappointment and waste of money. I suggest you not even think about buying this option. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

5. twotimer

twotimer Member

I use one, had to put an extra spring on it to speed it up. It does, however, take out any and all jerkiness which keeps shot from flying around if you get clumsy. Mike

6. B-23-C

B-23-C Member

Installed one on my 366. The cylinder is continually wearing out. It does smooth out the cycling, when it works. I no longer use mine. I guess I would advise against spending the money. It works as advertised, but not very long.

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I bought one, hooked it up, loaded two boxes of shells, took it off and sent it back for a refund - which Hornady gave, no questions asked. Great service.

It's mostly something to entice the Mec crowd into a 366, but I can load way faster without it.

If you're to quick on the upstroke, the plate advances too fast and the primer doesn't fully drop and binds ups in the plate - and yes, shot will go everywhere. but within the first flat of shells you'll develop a little hitch in your stroke where you'll pause a split second while that primer drops into the bottom of the die and then everything is smooth as silk...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.