1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 vs. PW800B

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

Not to be a pain with questions but,,,,,,

I found a great used Hornady 366 for a good price and it is on the way to my house. As luck would have it I found a great condition PW 800B after I bought the 366.

I could swing them both for a while, but would have to sell one pretty soon. I have done several searches trying to find comparison of the two and am not having a lot of luck. I know the biggest dissadvantage to the PW is the parts, but I know the person that has operated this machine since new and it is in great working order.

Could I get some opinions from those of you that have used them both please. It is for 12 gauge and I am good for a couple hundred shells a week.

Thanks, Joe

2. Kingranch

Kingranch TS Member

No comparison! PW wins. I have had my first 800B since about 1981. I now have three. I bought a 366 in early 90's. It was an ok machine, but not even close to a PW. Just my opinion, but I have owned and used both

KingRanch

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The 800B is a very good machine but be sure to give it a thorough inspection before you commit to it. Parts are no longer being made for this model so you are limited to whatever the factory still has on hand and what will fit from the newer machines.

MK

4. Kingranch

Kingranch TS Member

I'll probably jinx myself for saying this, but while parts may be getting hard to find, the only part that I have ever had to replace on any of my machine was the wad guide fingers! I would not even guess how many shells my first machine has loaded. I even bought that machine used then.

KingRanch

5. jfesi

jfesi Member

Does the 800B resize without using a separate station?

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Get the 366. PWs are built well, but so are the Hornadys...and the PWs can be more trouble than they're worth.

Heavier and more complex is not always better.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get the 366. Plenty of parts available as they still make them.

Matt

8. Unknown1

<blockquote><i>"Does the 800B resize without using a separate station?"</i></blockquote>The first station one a P-W progressive is the resizing station; that's all that happens there. The hull is forced into the resizing die that will hold it for its entire cycle through the press.<UL><LI>station 2 removes/replaces the primer<LI>station 3 drops the powder<LI>station 4 inserts the wad<LI>5 drops the shot<LI>6 starts the crimp<LI>7 finishes the crimp<LI>8 pushes the finished shell out of the sizing die and out of the press</UL>

MK

9. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

I bought an old 366 two years ago and just love it. Works great and spits out great reloads. Hornady is great to work with and replacement parts are plentiful. The two times I have had to call them for parts (nothing broke, just doing some PM and replace worn parts before they break) they provided them to me free of charge.

I think you'll be happy with the 366.

10. Mapper

Mapper Member

I have both but am currently using the 366. I don't shoot much anymore and the PW needs wad fingers. PW is faster, 366 is more reliable. They both use the same bushings.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have two 366's, a P/W 900 and a P/W 800 Plus.

My observations:

The 366's do a great job on 12 gauge.

The P/W's are superior on 28's and .410's.

The 366's require less effort because they do not use full length shell holders. I suspect the P/W 950 with the short shell holders will be low effort too.

The 366 is faster than the P/W because you only stop at one point in the cycle to insert both the wad and the hull (I size and de-prime before I load on either machine).

If you enjoy a nice piece of machinery the P/W wins hands down.

Both are reliable loaders.

Jim Skeel

12. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks for all of the great input. I think I'll stick with the 366 since it will be here Monday along with a new set of Jim's acrylic tubes.

Does anyone resize on there 366 or do most use a super sizer or something? Besides the extra step is there any reason not to use stage 1a on the 366 for loading Rem Nitro hulls?

Thanks again,

Joe

13. Unknown1

Nitro hulls have brass bases; they should resize easier than shells with steel bases.

MK

14. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"I have both but am currently using the 366.... PW is faster, 366 is more reliable."</i></blockquote>I'm just curious...what makes your P-W less reliable than the Hornady?

MK

15. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Joe I use the resizing station on my 366 Once you get a system going it works out well. I use it on sts and gun club without any problems.

16. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I heard the same thing about parts on the 800B. The answer was overwelming that most all parts ARE available and interchangeable with newer machines. The only thing that is not available is the 7/8" shaft on the 800B and the actuating arms attached to that shaft.

I don't know about you, but I don't think I can twist a 7/8" steel shaft in two.

So, until then I will continue using my 43 year old 800B that my Dad bought new. In fact I think I will go out right now for a half hour and load up a couple hundred.

Mark

17. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I always use a seperate mec supersizer reguardless of what loader I use.

Makes for less effort during operation of whatever tool you are using.

Both are great durable loaders that require a bit of mechanical ability to keep them running smoothly. Once you learn the machines quirks you will learn to enjoy each machine.

I own and use a old Pacific 366 and it is a pleasure to use.
    You can interchange the bushings between the 366 and the PW.

It is important to learn to slow down and coast the handle as you are droping the primer into the primer pocked holder.

You will want to get the updates for the 366 if it doesn't already have them.

I'm talking about the Primer seater assembly, the auto advance, and the swingout wadholder. Forget the gas assist.

There is a learning curve with both the PW and 366. Its a little tricky to change the bushings on the 366 but with patience it isn't a big problem.

It would be great if you can get someone that knows the 366 and the PW, assist you in setting up your loader. The 366 likes a diet of the same hulls whatever you decide to load .

I perfer the Rem STS and use my Mec 650 for other hulls and working up loads, as the Mec has an adjustable bar.

ed.

18. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have four MEC Sizemasters - one in each gauge. I use them to size and de-prime my hulls before reloading them on a progressive reloader. The collet sizer does a good job. Removing the primer makes the progressive loader run a lot smoother. Eliminating spend primer residue from the progressive loader is another plus.

Jim Skeel

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Most answered on your other thread but to add to the simplicity of the 366 , my 7yr old grandson and 10 year old grand daughter both come over and want to load shells . They sit on my lap and under my supervision pump out box after box of reloads . They want to do everything now from start to finish and neither one has had a problem at any time . I`m also very carefull that they clean up with soap and hot water when they are done . They love me for teaching them how to reload and can`t wait to start shooting . I also have a Mec 650 for the 20 ga shells that they will start trying by themselves but that is more compicated to run since it doesn`t have a self indexing so I will be beside them when this process gets going .. When the time comes and I have some extra money I will get the 366 in 20 ga as I prefer the Hornadys more than a Mec .

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I am a fan of the 366 and I did try a PW800B for a season. I thought the PW was a nicely engineered and well built machine but it was awkard for me to use. Perhaps that was because I had so much time on the 366's. Anyway I sold the PW800 and bought an extra 366. I won't say the PW is a bad machine because it isn't but it just didn't work out for me.

As to resizing on the 366, I do all the time and even run the steel head shells through with no trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.