1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by aaaskeet, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaaskeet

aaaskeet Member

I am looking for some input/thoughts on the Hornady 366. How would you rate it against the PW 800+

How easy is it to change gauges. Also I see where you can buy die sets straight from Hornady, but I have also seen individuals selling the die sets complete with the top plate, but I do not seen where Hornady offers that option???

Lastly, are there any problems to look for, or things to be aware of?

Thanks, in advance.

aaaskeet

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I got a new one back in 1986, have loaded about 7k rounds total of 12,20 and 28.. each round was a chore.. I guess I just got a lemon, if you want to resize the brass that a extra step also, for some odd reason my machine will never eject a loaded shell,in any gauge..I called hornady and all I got was.."I have never heard of that...." I bought a mec 9000 and couldnt be happier..good luck..

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

I bought one and then gave away my P/W.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Hornady 366 Thoughts???

The 366 is a great loader and Hornady has a great reputation for customer service. They do require the operator to have a little bit of mechanical apptitude more so than what a MEC does.

It only takes me about 15 minutes to change a die set in a 366. The first time I did it, it took nearly an hour (notes help). The head assemblies you see for sale is of someones doing. They either ordered a new head or found the top to one that had been very mistreated.

Stay away from the gas assist option as it is a pain to deal with. They are helpful to those that have an erratic pull of the handle though.

The 366 is by far one of the best that I've ever used for 410 bore shells. It seems to keep them a lot steadier than some of the others that I've used.

With any loader purchase, take time to learn the machine and try not to get frustrated. The pay-off down the road will be worth it.

I've never used any of the P/W loader, so I can't comment on them.

ss

5. biggunone

biggunone Member

I love my p/w but i heard 366 is a good machine almost bought one but did not like seperate station to deprime or resize

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I started with a second hand Pacific 366 which is a manual indexing machine. Made a whole lot of good ammo with it and then had a good oppportunity to buy a PW 800B. I got the 800 up and running but never liked it as well as my old Pacific. So I sold the PW on this forum and used the $ to buy another guy's Hornady 366. After all this, I still use the old Pacific 366 most of the time ... I guess we have each other trained.

I think the PW800 is a very well thought out design and built with better materials and machining than the 366 but in my experience it was akward to use and unforgiving.

As far as changing gauges on the 366, it isn't something you want to do all the time and a better approach is to just have a complete machine for each gauge. Usually you can find complete used loaders priced about where the new gauge conversions are.

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

you surely can buy a full head - I bought a 28 guage head from lock, stock and barrel just last year. lockstock.com, I think it was. And hornady will sell you one, just ask.

once you have a head, gauge change is a 5 minute deal.

I have 3 of them - 12, 20, 28 and love them.

8. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

After 10K each with a new 9000, used PW800C and used 366, I actually prefer the 366.
    The 9000 seemed cheap looking but produced good ammo. The PW is a class act machine, but I always had primer issues and it does not seem as fast as it should be. The 366 has never failed to drop a primer or do anything bad at all. I sold the Mec and gave the PW back to my brother in-law.

I think the PW is faster, but required more attention to detail. I think it also is more prone to jamming up. If you have ANY troubles, it negates the speed. Having the hull supported for all operations seems cool, but the other two produce ammo without swelled plastic.

FWIW I load 100 rounds in 16 minutes on my 366, and I am using the sizer. I am also not trying to set any records.

When I recently got back into loading, I thought a 366 was a poor man's substitute for a PW, now I think it is a very good (dirt simple) machine that is under appreciated.

If you became proficient with tuning any of them to perfection, they all crank out ammo that will powder a bird at a rate that is rapid enough to suite most people.

9. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

junk buy a mec

10. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

There's some articles covering the 366 you might want to read before making a decision starting at:

http://www.shootingbunker.com/366ArticlePart_I.html.

Even talks about the extra parts needed to make up a complete die head if you want to go that route.

Takes me about 5 minutes to change from 12 to 28. But I've done it a few times and have the measurements at hand. I've used the Hornady so long that I can't see switching now. Recommend it highly.

- - Bill

11. Digginclays

Digginclays TS Member

I like the 366 also, ihave had one for seventeen years and it still loads great

12. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Had mine since 1980, Dad and Uncle had em for years. Couldn't even guess how many shells we have loaded on them.. Would get another without even looking at other loaders. Hornady is one of the best for service and tech help. If you every have questions or need anything just call them.

13. Ray Brasser

Ray Brasser Member

Been using the 366 for 24 years. About 10 years ago I was offered a P/W 800 for cheap. Needed cleaning up and some parts replaced. I spent 3 weeks with that machine. Never worked as well as the 366. I gave it back to the guy and I've been using the 366 ever since. Probably have 100,000 reloads on it. It just keeps going and going. Keep it clean and tune it every once in awhile. Hornady is good with tech help and parts. Going from one gauge to another is ok if you don't switch very often, but if you shoot other gauges all the time you'd be better off with one 366 for each gauge you use. When I shot 12 and 20 all the time, I had two 366's on my bench, one for each.

I'm not a big fan of the resizing die on the 366. I find it faster and easier to do all my resizing on my old MEC sizemaster. Then I just skip that step on the 366. But either way, the 366 is a good press.

14. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My 366 is almost 40 years old. Built like a brick $hithouse.

As stated above, it takes a little mechanical ability, but I wouldn't trade it for a MEC or a P/W. Spolar... I would consider.

400 per hour is pretty easy without pushing it with two people.

I load 12 ga only so I can't help on the conversion question.

Hornaday is fantastic with service!

SW

15. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I have never owned a PW but I can tell you the Hornady 366 is a fantastic loader! I've had mine for over 20 years and have loaded thousands upon thousands of shells. The only parts I have ever had to replace was two springs and a plastic wad guide. Hornady customer service is great too!

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Miine is probably waaaay out of adjustment, but it keeps kicking out nearly perfect shells so I'm reluctant to change anything.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ray

I think Hornady has a bolt-on replacement part that fixes the primer seating problem for different hulls.

18. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

dito on the primer seater, the new one works on spring pressure and is alot easier to get along with.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

GREAT press.. a true workhorse.. I loaded on them since 1970.. or there abouts.. TILL I bought my 800C P/W.. It was quicker..and produced excellent shells too.. Then I went to a 800+ with case feeder.. I keep 2 -366's for 28 and 20 gauge.. I load the few 410's I shoot on a 155.. I've had no issues with either.. both have a learning curve..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.