1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 Standard vs. Gas Assist

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TC, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

You really don't need the gas assist unless you have a tendancy to slam and jerk while loading. Really a kind of useless accessory.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

An overpriced useless accessory. Buy the regular model and learn to put a short pause in your upstroke and save the money on the gas assist.

3. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

If you can, have someone that uses one of these loaders help you set it up and show you how to operate it. This will save some time and frustration.

Todd

4. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The 366 is a good machine, but it works much smoother if you resize your hulls as a seperate, prior operation.

5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

gas assist is nice but not worth the money, needs replacing often.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you go too fast you will trap the primer between the rotating plate and the pocket the primer is dropping into. You need to delevop a little hesitation at the end of the stroke. You can grind out the side of the pocket to pick up a little more speed. Tayloring your handle stroke will be much faster than waiting for the gas assist to move slowly throught the entire return cycle.

Once you get onto it, it is no problem. Forget the gas assist.

Jim Skeel

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Gas assist will slow you down - a lot!

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have a 366 which I have used for the past 20 years....it's been a great machine and except for a couple of "wear items", it has worked flawlessly... (once the learning curve is in the past).

As Todd said...get someone that is experienced with the 366 to show you al the small nuances...after that you'll really like it's simplicity and ease.

Curt

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I ordered the gas assist for mine as an add-on. bolted that sucker on, and after 100 shells I took it off and sent it back.

it's a HORRIBLE accessory.

mostly designed for MEC users to ease their transition...once you've loaded a while on the manually advanced 366, you won't need it. You'll need to learn to put the little "hitch" (pause, slow down, whatever) in your up stroke so the primer will drop.

After that, 500 rounds an hour is easy....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hornady 366 gas assist

hornady gas assist