1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

hornady 366 shot dropping problem....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jeff P, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

My 366 shorted the shot drop on 5 shells tonight...shot hung up in the tube, about a quarter ounce or so, and then spilled out on the subsequent shell.

I took the whole thing apart, and I don't see what could be hanging it up. I'm loading NW magnum shot - it looks nice and round and its not dirty or too big, or odd sized. There doesn't appear to be any rough edges in the shot tube. The bushing is fine.

first time in 30 years its done that....anyone got any ideas?

2. TC

TC TS Member

Jeff, make sure the rubber O ring is not moving out of it's location. Although you said you checked the drop tube, I had one that had a machined ridge inside that created the same problem one day after years of use. Tony

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

One possible problem. If you open the plastic shot bags with a knife, sometimes lose plastic fibers can come out with the shot and form a temporary block in the shot tube. This has happened to me. I solved the problem by cutting the bags with a sharp knife, not just a knife. There is a difference.

Pat Ireland

4. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

If , after checking all the suggestions , you still have an occassional problem ,you should consider taking a look with the shot hopper off to see if you may have a "ledge" resulting from the bar and/or bushing are not quite moving adequately to drop all the shot .

Although the parts on a 366 are relatively heavy , if you have really put it to use , you may have had a bit of wear that contributes to your dilema.

Charlie

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Pat, you're right - there is a huge difference.

Well, I tore everything apart again. The O ring is in the right spot. There wasn't any stuff in there that shouldn't be - no parts of a bag or anything.

There IS a small lip on the drop tube - its the only spot the shot could be hanging, even though I don't see how. Regardless, I filed on it a bit.

Charlie...I like your idea. I'll try that today, when I get the tube emptied down a bit. And after that, I suppose the next step is to buy a new drop tube.

6. 686

686 TS Member

what size shot are you loading ? that happened to me with # 5 shot. i oppened up the shot spout.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

This problem is common when you forget to change the shot tube when you go inbetween gauges.. A 28 gauge shottube will jam up quickly with anything larger than #7.5's.. and if my memory is correct in 20 gauge.. larger than #6's could also pose a problem.. If you do have the correct 12 gauge tube in..check the roller on the back of the bar..(see that they are there as it pushes the bar in and out to the correct distance..

Other than that.. as Pat said.. check for trash from cutting the shot bag open..
    All Good.. Mike

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

From what you describe, only a small amount of shot fell into the first shell and the second shell received the balance of that load as well as its own metered load.ed. Using pure reasoning, part of the shot that was metered out for the first shell got huung up somewhere. When the second shell was charged, the balance of the first shell's load went into the shell as well as the shot that was metered out for that shell, causing the shot to spill over. Clearly, the only place that some of the shot from the first load could have gotten hung up was downstream of the metering bushing. The conclusion is that the shot got hung up in the drop tube which enters the hull. Perhaps it bridged and the vibration and the next metered load broke it loose.

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Jeff,

Do some more reloading and carefully watch how much shot is dropped into each shell. If you find a shell that is obviously light on the amount of shot, then STOP immediately and run a small wire (bent paperclip) up into the shot drop tube until the wire stops solidly. Rattle the wire around inside the drop tube and see if any shot falls out. If it does, then the shot is obviously hanging up in the tube. If no shot falls out, then the problem is before the drop tube.

I agree with Birddogs that it sounds like the problem is in the drop tube. I've loaded thousands of rounds on my 366 and never had that problem, but I suppose it could happen if something partially blocks the shot drop tube.

Easystreet

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

When I bought my 366 used , I had varied shot and powder drops and found that the roller bearing that moves the shot and powder bar was missing a few ball bearings and wouldn`t let the bar move in completely . Very strange part to wear out so soon but I still saved it in a tray as a reminder . May not be your problem but something for others to check on their machine when they change bushings .

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Discovered it is, indeed, hanging up in the drop tube. There's a tiny ridge in there - don't know if its from wear/tear or if its always been there. Find it hard to believe that even something as small as an 8 shot could hang on it, but that appears to be the problem.

It's a dedicated 12 gauge loader, so I guess I'm getting a new tube.

Damn....30 year old machine and now i have to replace a $3 part. LMAO...it's even money that Hornady will give me one. Those folks are great.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

Do you have a brake hone? That might work. (just kidding)

You got your money out of that machine, that's for sure.

Only time I ever had shot hang up in my 366 was soft number 4 shot.

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I would just use a round file and knock that little ledge off. That should fix the problem and make it good as a new one.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady 366 reloader problems

hornady 366problems

problems with hornady powder drop