1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 shell sticking - full crimp close die

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WZsembik, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Last night I had 2 shells stick inside the second to last station (the full length crimp closure die) on my 366. The brass base actually pulled off the hull using the same stroke as I normally use. I needed to disassemble the die to get the shell out. Looking into the die, there was a very small amount of rust in the die. I polished it a bit with 800 or 1000 grit black sandpaper. This seems to have helped but I only have maybe a hundred shells through it since the stick.

Has anyone else experienced this shell sticking and if so what did you do to correct it. I was reloading STS and Nitro hulls.

The press has loaded thousands of shells without a problem so this has me wondering.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bill

2. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Last night I had 2 shells stick inside the second to last station (the full length crimp closure die) on my 366. The brass base actually pulled off the hull using the same stroke as I normally use. I needed to disassemble the die to get the shell out. Looking into the die, there was a very small amount of rust in the die. I polished it a bit with 800 or 1000 grit black sandpaper. This seems to have helped but I only have maybe a hundred shells through it since the stick.

Has anyone else experienced this shell sticking and if so what did you do to correct it. I was reloading STS and Nitro hulls.

The press has loaded thousands of shells without a problem so this has me wondering.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bill

3. tincanman

tincanman Member

I've been using my 366 over 10 years now with many STS hulls through it and have not had any hang up on the crimp die you mention. Are you using station # 1 and resizing each hull during the process? I know it's a pain on these 366's since it's kind of out of the loop so to speak, but it's probably worth using, especially if you shoot different guns or buy your hulls from other shooters.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rub a little paste wax on the inside of the die. HMB

5. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Bill

The rust could be the culprit, but a few years ago, Hornady made an upgraded crimp to address the problems with loading the new style AA hulls.

This new die is aluminum, and is a bit larger I.D. than the old metal die.

It also is not tapered inside, and has a highly polished bore. Hornady gave me tips on adjusting the old one for AA hulls, and adjusting the new aluminum die after installation.

I load very few AA hulls , but have had ZERO problems after I bought the new die about 6 years aqo.

If you just want to clean up the old one, make sure to get all the rust out, and make the bore as smooth as possible. A good machinist with a lathe can be your best friend.

Danny

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yes, the rust will cause the problem. Take it apart, take the crimp plunger out. Clean all parts. Rub a small amount of wax on everything,as HMB indicated, and you will be good to go.

Ajax

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The rust inside the die is the problem. There is something in the plastic shells that encourages the rust to form. I push a piece of rag sprayed with Sheath in the die when I am done reloading. It keeps the rust from forming.

Jim Skeel

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Could be just cruddy. Spray a good shot of silicone spray up in there a couple times before you go to the trouble to yank it apart or get new pieces.

I drilled a little hole in the top of the die and spritz a little silicone spray in there K loads or so. Tens of thousands and never had it apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady 366 silicone spray