1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 Shaving Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

My Hornady 366 tends to shave shot and make the bar movement harder at times.
    Is anyone else having this problem and is it just something that I have to live with due to the design?

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

In my experience all loaders that load by volume do this as the shot doesn't always drop exactly flush in the bushing. Ross Puls

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

paul7177--Try tightening the two screws under the shot/powder bar block. It holds the bottom metal plate on and the bar slides on it. If they are too loose it can cause that. I had more of it when i used MECS though. I never could get it completely eliminated. Boy i used some real technical parts descriptions there didn't i? LOL.... Hopefully the pic will say it all. If the bar is too loose in the block it will allow shot to seep. Has to be pretty loose though.

These (2).................

[​IMG]

4. rollnblock

rollnblock Member

might get some new rubber rings. when they get hard you tend to shave more shot and make the stroke harder.

5. grntitan

Good point "rollnblock". His suggestion will also do it and faster.

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

You need to replace the two ruber rings on the bottom of the slide. When these go, you shave shot.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

rollnbloc and omgb have the right answers here. When the rubber gets hard and tore up the bar doesn't move very well. I have flipped them over at times to gain a little more usage, but it is a very temporary fix at best. I have about a half dozen in nice sealed packages just in case these days.

ss

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The worn/missing rubber insert is the culprit and while you have everything apart, remove any deep scratches or burrs from the slide and the housing. Be careful not to remove too much metal because once the slide gets to fitting loosely you will have binding problems. Eventually you may even need to replace the slide and housing.

9. grntitan

wolfram---Will Hornady replace the slide/bar and housing if becomes worn under their warranty? They have never charged me a dime for springs and such but i've never inquired about the larger parts.

10. wolfram

I don't know about warranty on these components, I paid for my replacements but I'm running a very old Pacific 366 that I bought used.

It wouldn't hurt to ask about warrantee before ordering but in any event they weren't very expensive and a new set will make the machine operate glass smooth.

11. grntitan

wolfram--Yeah i have an old Pacific too. I'm gonna call them and just buy 'em. That "glass smooth" statement you made got me thinking how bad mine is. There is actually several other parts i need to change as well. I know the few things i've bought from them were real reasonably priced. Thanks for the info.

12. wolfram

The new slide comes with a new bearing installed, or at least mine did. I think that was the thing my machine needed the most. Either way make sure you get that piece and a new bearing shaft along with the slide.

I had resurfaced the slide and housing several times using 400 grit emery paper but eventually it got so sloppy that there was verticle binding and that was probably what did in the bearing. When you get a new slide and housing, you shouldn't have any rough spots as you cycle the handle. It should be so smooth that you can't tell a difference in operating the handle with the powder/shot tubes charged and on Vs completly off the machine.

Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.