1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 - setting wad depth

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hilton55, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

A question for Hornady 366 users: How do you set your wad depth so that the wad just makes contact with the powder or puts just a couple of pounds of pressure on the powder without beginning to compress the wad? I'm trying out a 12 gauge, 3/4 ounce load and I'm using the Winchester 7/8 ounce wad. It's hard for me to tell at what point the wad makes good contact with the powder but doesn't start compressing the wad and resulting in dished crimps. Thanks, John

2. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've loaded quite a few 3/4's loads on my 366. If you are using the new AA hulls I doubt you'll have much problem with dished crimps, of course from my perpective dished is ok as long as they're consistent and don't leak shot. My procedure was to start a wad on top of the powder charge and then press it down with my finger to seat firmly but not compress. Starting with the wad ram up, I lowered it one turn at a time until it barely moved the wad pressure indicator and then locked it down. I'm using AALite powder which is very dense and is working pretty well for me at skeet.

3. Hilton55

Hilton55 TS Member

Thanks HTSmith: My problem is that my machine doesn't have the wad pressure indicator. I'm using AA hulls, Winchester primers and wads, and 15.5 grains of 700-X. John

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

John---with todays wads, there really isn't any need for any pressure period. You could seat a wad in a shell with your pinky finger. Trial and error if your machine doesn't have the wad pressure indicator. Mine does but to be honest, i've never really looked at it 'til i took this pic. You don't really need it. -Matt

[​IMG]

5. grntitan

Sorry guys!! I know my machine is filthy but, its running so damn smooth and adjusted so good, i hate to change anything to clean it.. LOL---Matt
    [​IMG]

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

That's what you consider a filthy machine?? Would you come over and make mine just as dirty?

I'm also impressed with your shell block....mine just fall through the hole i cut in the table and into a box. 1,000 at a time.

7. grntitan

Jeff--Mine do fall thru the table as well. I just grabbed a box to show the crips. I used to load on a MEC 600 Jr. one shell at a time. I made several of the shell blocks at that time. Served its purpose then.
    [​IMG]

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Like grntitan said. I st the thing so the top edge of the wad is at the bottom edge of the old crimp. The crimp die will push it down to a fine spot. I use 12SO copies for 24gm and have never had a problem with this method. Works fine too for every other wad/load as well.

JMO of course

Charlie

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I like the fitting you've got so that they go through the hole in the table instead of rolling all over.....my next bench will have one.

Moving soon, or this bench would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12 ga wad pressure indicator

horandy 366 wad guide adjustment

hornady 366 fibre wads

hornady 366 wad guide adjustment

how to adjust tha crimp on hornady 366

how to adjust wad press on hornady 366

wad compression scale hornady 366