1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 Reloader...user opinions please.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimx200, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I have about 200 lbs. of shot collecting dust in my garage (reclaimed at $6.00 a bag a few years ago at Sacramento Trap Club) and don't have a reloader. I found a guy that has a new in box Hornady for sale at $350. Opinions on the machine and confirm that the price is fair. Thanks.

2. teleskier

teleskier Member

Depends...if its an older loader that needs the upgrades but its still new, skip it. If its a real old loader...skip it.

I used the 366 for years and it worked fine. There are tons of folks on here that like them but after using the RCBS Grand I will never go back to a 366. MIke

3. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

A friend of mine & yours truly bought Horn. 366 loaders. We didn't like the loader, each of us bought Mec 9000s. The MEC is a beauty, you would NOT regret buying a MEC.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

go with a NEW mec 9000 you can pick up one for the 350.00 the new mec is far better that the old one

5. JLW

JLW TS Member

My opinion is the price is $100 too high. Watch Ebay to see prices on used as well as the new ones offered.

I was using a Mec 76 Series (older Grabber) and bought a 366 used. Very well used......

Things I did not like:
    1. It is difficult remove a hull from the shell plate. You have to "rotate" the plate backwards and remove all hulls behind the one you need to see.
    Solution: cut holes in ring to allow removal of hulls from individual stations.
    2. If raising the handle too fast, some shot bounces out the open crimp and occasionally a loaded shell will fall out the front or back instead of going down the drop chute on the left.
    Solution: I made a wire "guide" and attached it to the loader so shells stay in place while arm is raised and shell advances to drop chute. I called Hornady as was informed that over time, the slot in the base will wear allowing the shell rim to ride up, over the top and fall forward.
    If you buy this relaoder, order the gas piston kit. It is easily installed and allows the arm to be raised at your speed but the shell plate revolves at the gas piston speed eliminating problems of shot spilling and reloads falling forward, out of the machine.

I have never used a Mec 9000. I do like the Hornady 366 due to it's ease of operation and speed. As with Mec, pay attention to primer drops to insure it happens.
    Mec offers the large primer tray (nice), oversize bottles (so does Hornady), but get the bottle support. Mec also offers the "Auto-mate".-Jerald

6. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Mec, or the Grand. I used two 366`s, seemed more like 666`s. I currently load on a Spolar, as I got tired of screwing around. Little mechanical ability and no patience. But you don`t have to spend that kind of money to reload. That shot you have saved up will go fast!

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I have used a 366 for approx. 15 years (without any problems). At first I had to get used to it and learn how to tweak everything. Once the learning curve has been established, the 366 is a great reloader for the money. I do think that $350.00 is too much, but that's just my opinion. I can load 400 shells an hour without rushing and ensuring that all the reloads are good.

I'm sure there are better reloaders on the market and your particular use will determine which one you purchase. But, my opinion is that the 366 is a very good reloader especially when purchased for $250.00 or less.

Curt - Delaware

8. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Thanks guys. I found out the unit is about 10 years old, but new. Maybe I should contact Hornady to see if there are any upgrades available. Although I have not used a 366, I watched a friend crank out some beautiful shells on what appeared to be a well made machine.

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've had TWO since the late 70s - one 20 and one 12. Hardly any problems with them over the years. Shot trap in high school, and quit until recently - but i've run 100k through the 12 in recent years. The 20 loaded many, many thousands of shells for dove, quail and pheasent hunting.

It's a nice machine...but I'll second the opinion that $350 is too high. You can find them for $200 with a little looking.

10. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Jimx200,

Maby you should just sell the shot at a profit and apply the money to buying new shells.

After your 200 lbs is gone, you are presently looking at $28.00 plus per bag replacement cost, plus you will have spent $250.00 or more on a loader.

I have a 366 and like it, but this is no time to get into reloading shot shells, unless you just want to do it.

my .03 cents,

ed.

11. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Jim ,

The primary deficiency of a 366 is that the re-sizer is an out-of-line feature ; most of us who use(d) a 366 don't bother to re-size in a "usual" cycle and as long as premium cases are being used , I never had a glitch from that practice . Trying to get the maximum life out of a Rem unibody case has embarassed me on occassion because of expansion of the tube just above the brass . STS/Nitro and old AA cases never caused me any problem(s) .

I cut the "ring" after the primer seating station and just before the starter crimp to allow the removal of a partially completed re-load for whatever reason . adding a "flare" to the powder drop tube made life a lot easier for me because the crimp section of a "much used" hull tends to get stiff and sometimes the wad guide's fingers aren't strong enough to open the mouth of a case and a wad can snag on a fold .

A 366 is best suited for long runs of the same recipe (frequent changes can be best met with a different press) and when lined-out they will produce excellent reloads . I tend to agree with those who believe that you can get a excellent 366 for substantially less than the indicated price .

Charlie

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I have a 366 for sale on the garage sale part 2 thread for 200.00 + ship from 14525. I bought it from someone on here and it is in very nice shape.

Brett D.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

For the money, you could get a BRAND NEW current model Mec 9000GN. If it's an older model 366, it could cost you a bit to upgrade what can be upgraded. I had one (Pacific) years ago and liked it. I use a MEC almost exclusively now. I also think the price is just a bit high, since they can be found for less if you look around.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm a Hornady guy, but went with the Apex loaders (3.0 & 3.1) I'm sorry that they didn't continue with them, but they continue to support them. Automatic everything and good reliability IME.

Jay Spitz

15. 333t

333t Member

The 366 is a high quality well built reloader and you won't wear it out. The priming system is bullet proof and they turn out really nice looking shells. The late Pacific and early Hornady machines are superior to the current model, in my opinion. These had more machined blued steel, reversible handle, spring loaded wad station, all items that have been deleted on the latest Hornady press.

As to the price, $350 seems a little high but if 10 years old and brand new, maybe not too bad. As with any loader, there is a learning period but once you get through that you will have very few problems with a 366.

Phil

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

for $350 you can get a used PW 800 in good condition.

$350 is too much for an "as new" 10 year old machine.

Don

17. JLW

JLW TS Member

doggai-
    "I am curious and need to ask these questions. How many 366 users have more than the 60 something capacity primer tube on their 366? How many have increased the powder and shot capacity? How many have a fool proof no primer in the case indicator before powder drops out of the case? These questions are not directed to Charlie at Gordonwood241. John F"

I have the standard primer set up but have thought about installing a Mec high capacity primer tray.
    I have the standard shot and powder tubes.
    Fool proof primer indicator? I watch the primer drop as I used to have to do on my Mec.

What was the purpose of the questions?-Jerald

18. chrismhsc

chrismhsc Member

I just posted a Hornaday like new older model in garage sale for 100.00 and will ship for 35.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.