1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 Primer Assembly

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nick54, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick54

nick54 TS Member

I recently purchased a used Hornady 366 and because I am unfamiliar with the loader, I am assuming that a part may be worn. The part in question is the bushing that the primer sets in staged to be inserted in the casing. I can see that there is a pin inserted in a slot at the 12 o’clock position, however the actual side of the bushing hole at the 3 o’clock position appears to be worn away as though primers were pushed to this side and drug up and over the bushing during carousal rotation. I'm not saying that is in fact what has happened, it just appears as thought that type of repetitive action could cause the ware mark I'm seeing. At the top of the bushing the ware extends approximately half way through the wall thickness. So am I seeing pink elephants or is this an issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That wear mark is supposed to be there and goes on the far(right) side of the machine. In other words, the primer slides in from the left and that beveled edge goes to the right. Weird i know, but try it in another spot and it won't work very smooth(least not on my machine anyway).---Matt

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What you are seeing is a design feature that is there to help the auto indexing of the press. The idea is that the primer will drop into the seating cup more readily as opposed to getting wedged between the cup and the shell plate.

If you ever use one of the older 366 machines, you will appreciate the relief bevel.

4. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

A photo might help us but it is meant to be cut away slightly on the right side (on the edge nearer the powder drop station). It does resemble wear but is not. Both of my active machines have it. Probably lets the primed case release and rotate s bit sooner/better.
    dju

5. nick54

nick54 TS Member

Guys, thanks so much. I appreciate the quick response. Being a newbee to reloading, I'm sure you'll be seeing quite a few posts from me. I promise to search for answers first.

6. davidjayuden

My advice on learning the 366 is to take your time, watch everything closely and eliminate all distractions in the room. You may be able to turn on a radio after 1000 rounds...
    Good luck. I love mine now but seriously considered throwing it in the pond while learning.
    dju

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Make sure, on the upstroke, you go slow, and maybe even pause for a tic, as the primer is being dragged over the hole its supposed to drop into. You can speed up the stroke after the primer has dropped.

Over time, you'll perfect the upstroke. Anyone who uses a 366 for any period of time has this move committed to memory.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And invest in the new spring loaded primer seating attachment if you don't already have it. Makes light work of swapping hulls.

9. nick54

nick54 TS Member

Big-M there is a spring located at the top of the primer ram, could you explain the process you stated?

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

If the primer gets stuck or hangs up , turn the carosel back until the primer drops in position . They are great machines and will last a life time . I`ve had mine for over 25 years and still pumps out facctory like shells .

11. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

Take a look at the tips and tricks page on my website, under primer jams. Lou

12. davidjayuden

Put a "G" into the website and it will work. dju

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Nick, if it has a red spring at the top, then I believe you have the upgrade. It allows seating the primer and then when it meets great resistance it drives the primer ram back up. Adjust your bottom primer holder for the shallowest shells you use.

Jim

14. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

Sorry, for the typo. Try it now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hornady 366 primer assembly