1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 pres question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kmcampbe, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmcampbe

kmcampbe TS Member

Has any one tried this?

HORNADY 366 AUTO SHOT SHELL PRESS SPRING LOADED PRIMER SEATER PUNCH

[​IMG]

I found it on the precision reloading website.

Does it actually work like they say? My reason for asking is that every now and then I have a AA HS hull slip in with my CF hulls and it really buggers up the whole deal and requires dismantilng the press, saw this and thought it might help my situation.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

2. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Yes it works well. I load 3 types of shells with differing base wad heights, and this part eliminated the adjustment needed when changing shell types.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have one on my 366 that I reload 20 ga shells with. The others don't have it. I really don't see the need as I can feel the primer seating during the stroke. This is one thing I like about the 366 is you can feel what is going on.

As an added note, I load Remington, Winchester (old style AA), and Federals with zero need for adjustments. This is when you know your 366 is set up proper.

ss

4. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Get one you will like it. It will take care of problem you described. Changed mine out and have not had to adjust it for any type of hulls.

5. djcuda

djcuda Member

As stated above it works great with different hulls and needs no adjusting.
    Dave

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Stick with one type of hull and there is no need for it . I have one sitting on the bench for 5 years that I won`t install .

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

get it. you are no longer limited to one shell....

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I have been using one since they came out. Install one and never look back. You can load old aa and sts every other one with it with no problem. Bill

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yes have one on mine too. It makes the primer seating go better with all hull and primer combos. Makes it more universal. Its one of the must-do upgrades on 366's IMHO.

Matt
    grntitan_2009_250366.jpg

10. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I was lucky enough to have a good friend basically give me a 366. What an awesome machine, but I think what really put me over the edge with this loader is I was having some minor malfunctions, like the primer issues stated above and some operator error ones as well, I was told by a shooting friend you could send these to Hornady and they would go through them very reasonably, and ship them back ready to go. With nothing to lose I gave it a shot, I sent it back with a detailed list of things I was noticing, mostly primer seating problems. They ended up putting on a much nicer updated shell plate, the standard primer seating spring, the one underneath, every other spring, a nut and bolt here and there, and whatever else they deemed necessary. They shipped it back, my total bill was $34 dollars shipping included, and this 25 plus year old machine runs flawlessly. I didn't know this type of customer service still existed. 13 total parts I believe they replaced. Kudos to Hornady I know I will stick with them indefinately. Bret

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Buy the spring loaded primer seating tube. You will not regret it. If you have an older 366, many of the other "upgrades" such as the powder/shot shut off, etc. are definitely not worth the bother. I bought all the "upgrades" and the only one still on the machine is the spring loaded primer seater, and a baffle in the powder hopper.

12. Erik W

Erik W Member

Matt - Looks like you have an updated primer drop assembly as well ... at least looks a lot more sophisticated than mine. I have an early pacific 366 that I like, but has a couple issues I can't fix. 1. primer drop is not reliable; would your version help? 2. last inch or so of downstroke is difficult at times, even when not resizing.

13. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My PACIFIC 366 was bought in 1976. I still have the receipt for it. It cost $205 US dollars brand new. Right now, except for the Pacific name on the casting, it is a Hornady 366. Hornady bought out Pacific. On the few occasions that I needed a part, actually the VERY FEW times, they have always been available and delivered in a couple of days.

Other than the was guide fingers, the wad guide swing-out spring, and a couple of primer release collars, I can't recall a replacement part I had to put on it.

I did purchase some of the upgrades, like auto-index and the primer spring loaded seater punch and did not regret any of the updates. One very nice thing is that when Hornady does come out with an upgrade, it is compatible to just about every earlier version of that model press. My thirty-five year old press still turns out shells that look like them came directly from the ammo manufacturer. I am known for virtually never using factory shells in practice or league shooting and more than once when someone sees my reloads, they ask why I shifted to factory shells.

I didn't shift. the only thing was that the shells were once or twice fired. After that they start looking a little dirty but they then look like dirty factory loaded shells.

Between the product and the support of their product, Hornady has me as a life long customer. Add to the fact that it is among the lowest price and highest quality shotshell reloader and I think you can see why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
hornady 366 auto crimp issue with aa hull
hornady 366 auto progressive shotshell press primer shutoff
hornady 366 primer seater assembly
hornady 366 primer shut off
hornady 366 spring loaded primer seater
hornady 366 spring loaded primer seater reviews
hornady presa

you tube hornady 366 set up for winchester aa hulls