1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 low primer alert system?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

After finally becoming familiar with my 366 (and it nearly went into the pond more than once...), the only continuing problem is that I occasionally run it out of primers, causing a mess, a delay, etc.
    Other than ACTUALLY PAYING ATTENTION, what are some methods of alerting myself when the primers are running low. Maybe drill a hole in the side of the tube so I can see when they get low, maybe adapt a Dillon style idiot buzzer, etc? Experience/wisdom appreciated.
    dju

2. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Hmmm. Maybe there is a business opportunity here! Design some kind of sensor that knows when you've loaded the tube, then beeps at you when it needs to be filled. Probably could be modified for MEC's and the like.

- - Bill

3. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Dillon uses a plastic rod inserted on top of the primers, and when it drops so far it triggers a buzzer. Pretty effective, so long as you keep batteries in it.
    Thanks all for your help.
    dju

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is my solution. Mill two 3/16" wide slots in the steel tube just above the plastic piece. Milling two slots 180 degrees apart allows a finer adjustment while orienting one of the windows to the front.

For a simple shutoff you need two 1/8" x 2" cotter pins. Use one cotter pin to push the primers up from the bottom then slip the other cotter pin through the bottom of the slot.

Jim Skeel

[​IMG]

5. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Ross - The problem I have with my 366 is inconsistent powder drops It needs a plexiglas drop tube that would allow me to see the powder drop. Right now I'm sticking my little finger in the hull to check for powder. Have you ever heard of this? Thanks, Don

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

doggai, do you have the 990 tax forms to prove that? hmmm.. can we see your financials..??

oops, wrong thread..

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Don,

Most of the time, incosistant powder drops can be traced back to unsmooth loader operation. Use a consistant stroke both up and down and all your troubles will be a thing of the past. Sometimes you have to slow down to speed up.

ss

8. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Don

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Jim Skeel: I'll be slotting my primer drop tube tonite, Thanks for the idea.

The simplest solution is not always the best solution but it is always the simplest, and most times, simplest is best.

I don't know how I come up with this shit! but I'm just full of it.

Randy

10. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

I have found the easiest way to monitor primers,IF YOU ARE NOT USING MULTIPLE SHOT LOADS, monitor your primers and whne you almost run out, mark your shot bottle. Refill the primer tube and do the same again.

Todd

11. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Inconsistant powder drops can also be from setting your sizing die too low.
    Since everything is keyed off that, your bar is not geting a full throw if your size die (followed by your primer drop) is set too low.

12. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Jim: Thought I'd post a picture of your primer tube mod that I did to my 366 press. This is the simplest solution to the primer control problem with these machines, and I personally think Hornaday should include this modification to their product as standard issue. It is too easy to not do, and solves the two problems associated with primers on these machines.

I used some cold blueing when I got done cutting and de-burring the slots so there would be more "Visual Contrast" with the silver primers in the black tube.

I made a couple of pins to push the primers up into the tube and to insert across the tube for the primer stop, out of some Aluminum Welding Rod that was laying on my bench

Thanks again for the hot tip. Works fine lasts along time!

Heres a pic.

Randy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.