1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 issue hopefully solved....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic1964, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

Been having issues with bloopers with my 366 loader for some time now (like 2 years) random occurrence but once or twice per 200 targets. Frustrated me to no end. Change primers, changed wads, grounded reloader, called Hornady a couple of times....I recently decided to get to the bottom of this issue. Got to really look at my machine. This is not a new loader by any means. Maybe 15-18 years old and ~100,000 rounds loaded thru it. Compared this loader to a newer one that I got last winter and discovered that the charge bar did not travel inward near as much as the newer one.
    [​IMG]

Linkage just a bit worn wouldn't you say! Called Hornady, mentioned this issue and sent new parts. Back in business in 3 days for all of $12.00 Charge bar now travels back into the casting as much as it should.

T.

2. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm,

I'm going to go tear mine apart right now!

SW

3. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

It was amazing how much I needed to re-adjust almost every station once the linkage was replaced. I guess over a long time I had made adjustments, etc to compensate for the wear. If I keep her long enough for another 75,000 or so I will remember to replace these again!

t.

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Mine is a 1972, might have a few more than 75,000 through it!

My son shot 400 yesterday, had two bloopers. Been frustrating me a little.

I've been thinking of sending to Hornaday for a tune-up over winter. If I can do myself it would save me some shipping costs.

SW

5. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

Was an easy repair. Just have to take the whole loader apart so you can get to the linkage. You can remove the platen "drive" screws and see how much wear is in your linkage. It's the two screws on the side of the loader where the linkage attaches from the handle shaft...

T.

6. Ljutic1964

Ljutic1964 Member

Check and see how far your charge bar travels, It should be almost flush with the front of the top casting, if not a little inside it. Mine protruded almost 3/8 of an inch before the repair. Now back to flush. Another thing Hornady said to watch for was wear on the "cam" that moves the charge bar. The slot should be the same width all the way.

T.

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`m glad to see this posted as a potential wear problem . I just checked mine and it`s OK and since that is the only part on my 1970 model that wasn`t ever oiled or greased, I am lucky it is as tight as new ?? I did lose a roller bearing on the charge bar years ago that created the same problem , not letting all the powder drop from the bar as it wasn`t traveling the full length . Again a simple solution .

8. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

This thread prompted me to take the 5/8" head upper bolts out of my linkages and lube/grease them. The lower ends can me sprayed, but those uppers are pretty well covered. Also a good time for other general lube and cleaning.
    dju

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

wow. good info. Guess i know what i'm doing today before i load..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.