1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 - indexing problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tangocharlie, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangocharlie

Tangocharlie TS Member

I have a brand new out of the box Hornady 366 press that I can't seem for the life of me to get to load correctly. First off the resevoirs were both broke, those have been replaced. The problem is the arm in the back will not always rotate the index plate. It does a few times then will skip. I have made all the required adjustments per the manual and a few websites that specialize with the Hornady 366. I had the back prawl arm, spring, and plate replaced. Same issue. then I noticed one of the teeth in the index plate is slightly bent, and after closely watching the plate during indexing I thought maybe the bent part was causing the arm to miss the plate to correctly rotate. I call Hornady back and had them replace the index plate. Same issue. so i'm a month into the press, have replaced several defective and possible parts and still have no reliable shells to speak of. Any ideas? I have also adjusted the back screw too for indexing adjustment. no luck

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Brand new out of the box goes back to hornady.

Tell us what really happened....

3. Tangocharlie

Tangocharlie TS Member

tangocharlie_2013_13012.jpg

Big M, I'm not sure what you mean. I explained the situation and have included a picture to help illustrate the problem. I'm gone through the adjustments with the index plate, spring tension, and the eccentric bolt in the rear. the issue is with the advance pawl not grabbing certain stations.

4. paul7177

paul7177 Member

I believe your manual describes how to adjust it. You may have to change the spring tension and/or adjust the eccentric bearing that actuates it.

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

Is yours a gas assist model? I had similar problems two years ago with a new one. Tried every adjustment but could not get it to,index properly. I finally found it was not indexing because the gas assist wasn't aligned to catch on the down stroke. All well with mine since then.

6. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I bought a new 366 about a month ago,and the same problem.I finally gave up and just advance it with my thumb just as easy. Ray

7. Tangocharlie

Tangocharlie TS Member

Bridger
    No mine is not the gas assist model. I think I read your post on shotgun world regarding your troubles with the 366, when I read your post it sounded exactly like my issue. I have already been through the troubleshooting recommendations in the manual and have spent a few hours with Hornady on the phone trying to troubleshoot the press as well. No luck. It's too bad because I was all set on the RCBS Grand and at the last minute went with the Hornady due to the many people who have posted great luck with theirs. At this point I'm at a loss and am thinking I might just have to return the press. I don't think spending $650 on a press should require this much troubleshooting and fixing just to get it to load a box of shells. :) That being said I have loaded for years on several MEC's and understand working a press requires adjustments and patience. But this certain 366 has put me over the edge.

thanks for the input on my problem.
    Mike

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Try loosening the shell plate nut on the top center of the plate so that it moves a little more freely. Also make sure your primers are seating good. If they protrude it will not allow them to slide easily thus preventing the plate from indexing.

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Take a pliers and bend the hook slightly forward on the bottom of the pawl, just enough to get it to grab the turn table plate tab. Also loosen the plate bolt in the center as grntitan said above, if it has allot of tension.

10. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

If you can't get it adjusted properly using the eccentric bolt adjustment, then the problem likely lies elsewhere. It appears the pawl is popping out which suggests something is interfering with the rotation of the plate. As mentioned above, the obvious area is the nut in the center of the plate, it should not be tightened all the way down. The plate should move with barely any effort. Also, try taking the plate off and adding some lubrication (although it should come lubed from the factory). Also, check to make sure the primer cup is flush with the platen and that the primers, after they drop into the cup, are flush with the platen. There could be some interference there.

Also, this makes good reading: http://www.bunkershooting.com/366ArticlePart_I.html

Edited to add: I would not bend the pawl.

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Do you remember the name of the tech you talked to at Hornady? Was his name Todd Knecht?

Steve

12. Tangocharlie

Tangocharlie TS Member

I spoke to Tim twice and Shannon again today. They want the press back to the factory to see what's wrong and why it won't advance. They were great and helpful. Shipping UPS tomorrow. I will advise what the solution was once I get the press back.

13. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Tango, The shell plate needs to be very loose and have a nice coat of white lithium grease underneath it.

You actually need to back off the tension on the prawl adjustment to get it to grab. Yours looks much tighter to the plate than I keep mine.

SW

14. Tangocharlie

Tangocharlie TS Member

SW- I agree and tried almost every tension spot on the spring. The picture is just the last spot I tried. Also tried the index plate very loose. The problem is the sprawl doesn't even touch the plate at times. Its the angle of the pawl that is the problem.

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The spacer between the pawl and the spring is on the wrong side of the pawl plate. Take it off and put in under the pawl plate with the spring on top(between the bolt head and the pawl plate) and it will work just fine.

Ajax

16. grntitan

This is what she should look like when you get it running right. My old Pacific DL-366

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lwRDYFOVnZI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Ajax is right... I knew it was too tight, but didn't realize that spacer needs to be below, that will change the angle of the prawl to catch the plate.

SW

18. twotimer

twotimer Member

Grntitan, that is a great little movie on how the 366 should work. I've used one for years and that is how mine works. Just one question, why do you skip the first position? Mike

19. grntitan

twotimer,

I skip the sizing on those Gun Club hulls as they are once fired from my shotgun where they will be fired again and then tossed. The sizing is just not needed in this case. Those reloads chamber easily in my Beretta 682 and eject just fine after firing. I do size my STS and Nitro hulls on it and it works just fine. Even though I am a big 366 fan, I still wish the size function was within the regular rotation. It is what is though.

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

When I do resize, which isn't often as I also shoot a 682, I just shut everything off and run shells through the resizer only. I only reload when time isn't an issue either. I actually enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
366 nut plate size hornady
hornady 366 indexing

hornady 366 manual

hornady 366 pawl adjustment

hornady 366 problems

hornady 366problems
troubleshooting hornady 366