1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 gas assist (Why)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkfin, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkfin

blkfin Member

I have a few 366s with auto index so I am familiar with these reloaders.Just set up a brand new Hornady 366 with gas assist. It was slower than manually operating the auto index. Took it off (the gas assist) and now I am back up to speed. Now I'm thinking I should have tried to ajust the speed any ideas?

2. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a 20 gauge w/gas assist. It is very smooth but no way to adjust the speed.
    Don

3. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My feeling is that thew (unneeded) gas assist was put on to slow the operation enough to allow the primer to drop into its seating location. A new user would try to work the lever back up too fast and jam the primer. By putting the gas assist in, the new user was forced to slow down thew upstroke. Older more experienced users have figured out that adjusting THEIR upstroke speed worked just fine.

4. blkfin

blkfin Member

Pyrdek, The 366 is a great press and I agree that you have to slow down a bit for proper primer drop. Many Try to go to fast and the primer gets jambed. I'm greatfull I got a great deal on a new press but a little disappointed in the gas assist. Mike K.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I know two shooters that purchased the gas assist and wish they'd have saved their money. Both were experianced 366 users and was hoping it was a great addition. Both ended up ditching the gas strut. Its easier to do it with a faint pause.

Matt

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you grind a cylindrial relief on the far side of the pocket that the primer drops into you can go a little faster without a primer hanging up. I believe Hornady puts a small relief there but you can make it bigger and you will trap fewer primers.

Jim Skeel

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I bought the gas assist and put it on....hated it from the first minute.

They took it back without any fuss whatsoever...just more of the great service we all get from Hornady.

Seems like the gas assist was merely an attempt to pander to the MEC users....they have trouble, I'm told, switching to a 366 because they're not used to the hiccup you have to have on the upstroke for the primer to drop.

8. tulsey

tulsey Member

I have never had one of the gas assist units or even seen one in person, but wonder if it might be a helpful tool for the 366 in the smaller gauges like 28 and .410. I got tired of the spilled powder loading 28s from the jerky auto advance and wound up setting up a 366 for 28 without the auto advance. If the gas assist smooths out the auto advance it might be a nice thing on the smaller gauges.

9. blooch

blooch Member

I have a 366 in 410....no gas assist. I used to use Mecs and PW's, so the learning curve was small for me, but I guess it would help someone not familiar with having to find the right "stroke" to make it work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gas assisted 366 hornady
hornady 366 gas assist
hornady 366 gas assist cylinder
hornady 366 gas assist explained

hornady 366 gas assist option

hornady 366 with gas assist reviews
hornady gas assist for 366 press
what is gas assist on hornady dl366