1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 disassembly

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

I would like to remove the pivot shaft from the base casting on a 366. Has anybody done this? How do you remove the eccentric arms from the pivot shaft? What holds them in place?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. If you are talking about the main shaft that runs horizontal, those roll pins are in there good. I was able to remove one side from a Pacific Model 300 i re-did and it was a pain in the rear. I tried on my Pacific DL366 and they wouldn't budge.

Here is the 300 i did. I used a a good hardened easy out and alot of PB Blaster penetrating oil. I then used a small slide hammer to bang it out. Be careful, those are aluminum castings and can and will break. If you do come up with a better method, please pass it along. I redo these old Pacifics for my winter hobby. Would be alot easier than masking it all off like i did on my 366.
    [​IMG]

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd call Hornady customer service and ask them.

4. aimless

aimless TS Supporters TS Supporters

I removed the roll pins by driving them into the bar.
    The holes in the bar are deep enough to let the roll pins pass through
    the arm. Slide the bar out and tip up to drop out the pin. I had to buy
    a new bar before I learned nthis trick.

5. grntitan

aimless--Can you explain your method a little better. Are you saying you just drove the role pin further into the shaft? Mine on neither machine would go in much further unless i just didn't hit 'em hard enough. I was very paranoid about busting the castings. If that works it would be simple enough.

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The roll pins and shaft,on the older models, are designed to be rebuilt one time. Take everything off but the bottom and the shaft, stand the shaft on a piece of wood and drive the top roll pin into the shaft. The shaft is bored to let one roll pin slide into the shaft. Slide the shaft out of the bottom and do the same thing to the roll pin on the other end.

If the roll pin won't move,(hit it hard) the press may have already been rebuilt and it's almost impossible to take the roll pins out.

Ajax

7. leftex

leftex Active Member

Well folks, here is what I did and it worked like aimless said it would. I just drove the roll pins in until they hit bottom. I used a 1/4 bolt for a punch as I didn't have a long enough pin punch. Took out the arms and gave everything a good cleaning. I'm now waiting on my daughter to bring me some 1/4 dia. X 3/4 long roll pins from the hardware store. I'm a little concerned about using longer pins as they might bottom out on the old roll pins and interfere with the handle replacement. To be continued.

Thanks for the tips,
    Wayne

8. grntitan

Thanks Ajax. That makes alot of sense and explains why i couldn't drive them in. You are also right about removing them. As i stated above, i got lucky and got one out. It was a PITA and i won't go to the trouble i did before to do it.

9. leftex

leftex Active Member

The hardware store didn't have the 3/4" length roll pins so we went with 1 inch. Luckily I measured the hole depths before I drove the pins in. One side was a little shallow so I shortened that pin by about .100. Worked out great.

Thanks again,

Wayne