1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hornady 366 auto with gas assist

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pj 999, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Thinking on buying one. Anybody use or have one and can offer comments I would appreciate it. I have a 366 and am thinking about adding a new one with the gas assist option. Am also looking at a digital powder scale if anyone has comments about what kind works good. I know there was a thread about scales recently and I will try and research that. Thanks Paul Baker Jr.

2. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

One thing I added to my old Pacific 366 was the Spring Loaded Primer Seater. Really like it, can go from AA to STS with no resetting....great accessory.
    Was impressed with Hornady's service, called them about a missing screw from the plate where the used primer cup goes. Told them it was a Pacific and they still sent replacement screws out for free.....

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have used one for 20+ years and updated it to "new". The one thing I did not add was the gas assist. I feel that it slows down the loading process and that I would rather have the "feel" of the shell plate rotation than not. I believe that such feel reduices jams. Just my opinion.

4. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

I installed the gas assist to my 366 thinking it would be smoother and speed up my loading. I found that as long as I loaded once fired hulls, things worked smoothly. When I tried loading some older hulls, I discovered the gas assist feature to actually interrupt the smoothnss and the speed of the reloading process. My 366 is an older model that has loaded many, many thousands of shells. I am very Scotch with my hulls and try to get as many loadings from each that I can. I've since dismantled the gas assist (simple to do) and no longer use it. Judging from my experience, I cannot recommend the gas assist feature for an older 366. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you can develop a smooth return stroke the 366 will operate smoothly. If you are used to slamming the handle (like a MEC) you may need the gas assist. The gas assist is slower than a smooth operator. The return stroke can be sped up a little if you grind a larger chamfer on the primer seater to allow the primer a little more time to right itself.

The Hornady 366 is a great reloader. It can be cycled at a faster rate than a P/W because you do not need to interrupt the cycle when the platen is up to insert a hull. The wad and the hull are inserted with just one interruption on the 366.

Jim Skeel

6. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Thanks for all the responses. Will stay with what I got for now. No use to try and fix something thats not broke. Thanks again Paul Baker Jr

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

The only real weakness with the 366 is in the shot and powder drop system. They are not case activated and as a result, if you break cycle or lose track of what you re doing, you tend to spill a lot of powder and shot. I know they have a lock out but it is reliant upon a spring that can and does lose tension over time. Thus, you may just drop powder or shot when you do not want to. Still, all of that aside, I love my 366 without the gas assist and would not want to get rid of it. Now if I could just get one in 16GA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.