1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Horizontal POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

BT99. Increased the rib and comb height by 3/4 inch (add-a-rib and stock positioning system). Shooting is far more comfortable with the more upright head position.

I patterned the new setup today. POI is the same as before the modifications. That's good - means I didn't ruin anything. The vertical POI is fine - somewhere in the 70% to 80% high range. It still shoots about 4 inches to the left at 40 yards. I've tried adjusting the comb, but the left-of-center POI remains. Any suggestions for adjustments that may help pull that center of impact more toward the center of my aim point?

Thanks,
    Larry

2. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Try moving the com to the right. I had same problem and its fine now. Good luck. Peter

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Check for cant and if that's ok Remove your center bead so there is no temptation to align the beads and move your comb to the right 1/8 inch then see where that puts you.

--- Chip King ---

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Larry, if you are looking straight down the rib and the gun is still shooting 4" left at 40 yards something other than comb position is wrong. I'll bet it is the choke tube. Try another tube, or two or three. If they all hit the same POI, then your barrel is bent or the choke tube threads were cut in on an angle.

My guess is it's the tubes. If not, moving your comb 1/8" to the right will correct your POI problem, but you won't be looking straight down the rib anymore. That might cause you problems if you are an aimer, or bead aligner, etc. If you just shoulder the gun and call for the bird without checking your alignment, you should have no problem.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Another thing, a rib off centered at the end of the barrel with the bore can create havoc with a POI too. It sure doesn't take much either and it's hard to see!!

Hap

6. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

If you find it's a particular choke tube, send it back for replacement. I had one just as you've described and made the mistake of tossing it out.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Pat, if he is off at 40 he will be off at 13 as well, just by 1/3 the amount. The reason to shoot for POI at shorter yardage is it is easier to determine the pattern center, and you get many more shots on the page.

BTW Larry, as I've said many times in previous posts, when you want to see where the gun shoots, use a bench and a rest. That is how you should check your choke tubes. When you want to see where you shoot the gun, stand, mount and fire just like you were standing on the line.

8. Beni

Beni Member

I agree with Pat, use a bench and bags and see exactly where the gun is at 13 yds or your poi. i had two Browning chokes, Midas, that both shot to the left and low. The only way I new that was to shoot at 13 yds. Once my poi was established I then went out to around 35 yds to check my pattern. beni