1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? Hoppes #9 corrosive?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dick The Shooter, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

Regular bore cleaner is ok but the copper solvent is very harsh

I use the foaming bore cleaner and let it set for 24 hours the first time then just 1 hour the next till its clean.

You don't need to use a bore brush with this stuff

Dick The Shooter

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This is a link for test done on different brands of bore cleaners. Ammonia will have an effect on copper, brass,etc. But not on carbon steel, or stainless 303, 304, 316, or 400 series. Wayne

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hoppes #9 is safe and can be left in the bore as a rust inhibitor. HMB

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Some have been known to use Hoppes #9 for after shave... Regards, Ed

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've used Hoppes #9 for 40 years in rifles, shotguns & pistols; buy it by the pint. Frankly, I use it first and then follow up with gun oil. Never had any rust problems doing it that way. It's a good product and smells good. Darrell

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

Hart, makers of some v nice stuff, only cautions against leaving Sweets in their barrels, and I'm sure they've tried everything.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I love the smell of #9. So does my wife.

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

G96 smells better.

Best,
    Dennis

9. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I recently bought an old Browning Superposed at auction. The gun was quite dirty, including the barrel. I got out the drill and attached my brass rod with the brass brush. Wetted down the barrel with Balistol and ran the brush up and down the barrel several times. Put through a tight cotton patch and had a look. Just in front of the chambers for about 10-12 inches the barrel was not shiny. I did it again. Not much change.

The deposit in the barrels looked like plastic wad gunk but I was not sure. I even thought it might be pitting and nasty corrosion. So I went to the stinky plastic solvent sold by Brownells. Nasty stuff. Harsh and caustic. Wet the barrels down good and got the drill going again. Ran that thing up and down many times. Ran the patches down the barrel and there was not much change. I had about concluded the barrel was pitted and I was out of luck.

Before I gave up, I went to good ol' Hoppe's No.9. Wet em' down and ran the brush through a few times. Put through the patches and had a look. Viola! Clean and shiny as a brand new dime.

I LOVE Hoppes. Love it. I finished off by putting a bit behind my ears and around my neck. Can't smell better than that. (Not sure my wife agrees.)

Jake

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Colt had a problem a few years back with a problem of pitting on their nickel plated guns. Through their testing, they found that the Hoppes #9 was the culprit. I don't remeber the exact details (probably can be found on the web), that the ammonia was causing the pitting.

Doug

11. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I have been using Hoppes #9 since I got my first real gun over 50 years ago and like many of you I find the smell wonderful. An old timer who shared his shooting knowledge with me when I was a kid called it Banana Oil. Everytime I open the bottle, that is what passes through my mind, Banana Oil. Does sort of smell like bananas, well to me anyway. gyrine

12. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

GunDr,

Yes, the ammonia attacks the copper plating under the nickel plating. Nickel won't adhere to steel so there is a layer of copper beneath it that will adhere to both metals. If the ammonia can get under the nickel it will attack the copper (remember, that is what it is supposed to do in the barrel) and therefore flake off the nickel.

Before SS became popular I had several nickel plated guns and I was always careful about using any ammonia based product on the nickel finish.

HBT

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

My wife says real men smell like Hoppes #9. That said, Hoppes will not corrode, but do not confuse it with other cleaners. I routinely leave Hoppes in the bore for 24 hours then wipe clean. Day after day until all the green is gone. I think it is an adequate rust inhibitor but not for extended storage. Their own instructions say to finish bore with gun oil to prevent rust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hoppes causing corroision

is hoppes 9 harsh on the barrel

leaving hoppes in a barrel

will hoppe 9 corrode a bore