1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Hooked on Wobble

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Last year I sucked at Wobble, but this year I did alot better.

Our club has a Fall Wobble League since purchasing new Pat Traps. They adjust to Wobble with the flip of a switch. We set them a little higher than normal so the low targets make it out to the 50 yard stake. Speed is about 47 mph. To keep it simple, we just shoot at 16 yards. That's hard enough for most.

I hold on the top edge of the house and make sure I see it before moving. I have to see the target really well or I miss. I take my time and have smoked some very deep low targets as well as some pies in the sky.

Awesome fundamentals reinforcer. Will shoot it anytime.

What's your take on it?

Joe

2. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

I'm with you Joe. People whinge and bitch if targets are a foot high or low in Singles, yet in Wobble you hear no complaints...and it's FUN. Cheers-Graham.

3. dfm

dfm Member

Last year we held a winter wobble league at the local Hunter Ed. center. Ran from January - February, 50 targets per week (250 total), 2 shots per target from the 20 yardline. About 30 shooters signed up and everybody had a blast. I ponied up buckles for the top three spots. We're going to do the same thing this year due to popular demand. Everyone involved thought wobble was about the most fun they'd had with a shotgun - and this included some diehard ATA shooters. If anything, it sure breaks up the monotony of the standard clay target games.

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Maybe Wobble's time has come.

I think I should have referred to it as a great fundamentals ENFORCER rather than a fundamentals REINFORCER. If you don't do the fundamentals, you'll miss, for sure. And there's plenty of missing, so the scores aren't scewed at the top.

Now I know why some guys yearn for 3 hole targets. Same thing, only the other dimension.

St. Charles (IL) has regularly scheduled events throughout the year. Will have to check it out.

Joe

5. chessney

chessney TS Member

At our winter leauge,we shoot 25 reg.trap from the 16 yrd line. Then move to next trap then shoot 25 wobble from the 27 yrd.line. In Feb. with the wind blowing the snow sideways,the scores are not the prettiest things.. Ziggy

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

can a wobble attachment be added to an existing pat trap?

7. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I like wobble trap. With wobble, it's a game of trying to HIT the target rather than a game of trying NOT TO MISS the target. That makes it more fun when you do hit the target and less disappointing when you miss a target.

Easystreet

8. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Yep; count me in as a wobble fan. I agree with Joe Kuhn. Great fundamental enforcer. If don't keep your head on the wood on them high flyers, you get a nice slap!

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

legal so wobble is 76 meters. Why are you shooting g such slow targets?

Tom

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Official Web Site of the World’s First Registered Wobble Trap Game

http://0048184.netsolhost.com/

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I LOVE wobbles. We shoot registered wobbles at El Dorado R&G Club. Awesome fun and very, very challenging. We shoot two events, 3/4 wobbles (12 yard line) and full wobbles (16 yd line) all single shot games, no two shots.

NOBODY has run 100 straight from 12 yards.

Try the 12 yard game, it is incredibly difficult, there is so much gun movement you better have a good smooth move to the bird because panic won't get it done.

12. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

http://www.wimpyswobbletrap.com/

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

TBaber ... I was wondering the same thing and even chuckling to myself at the post where they can use 2 shots at wobble trap.

Wobble is fun when thrown at the proper speeds and such but when ya just flip the wobble switch on an ATA machine your just shooting ATA targets at various elevations.

Wobble is truly a fun game and can also humble more than a few ATA shooters who think they are good shooters.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It also gives the mediocre trapshooter more excuses for shooting poorly.

Curt

15. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Our first year we had our Pat-Trap we set it on wobble. We had a crazy league. It was Wobble, 16yd, low gun, small gauge. It was a hoot. After that year though, the luster has gone. Haven't done it since. Dave T.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Having never shot wobble trap, I can see it's a totally different game than trap, so I can't see how the two could be compared as some are doing? Changing games requires a different mindset regardless of advanced skill at trap or any other venue when changing to a tougher (angled) target. Apples & oranges kinda thing without the excuses. Hap

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hap ... once you know the fundamentals and basics of shotgunnery it really doesnt matter what you shotgun sport you shoot. All the targets fly threw the air and you load, point and shoot your gun at that target ... its knowing what to do at the different sports that you must learn.

For those that think wobble is so far different than regular trap I feel sorry for you ... the target is still flying away from you but possibly a little wider angel and different elavations and at a faster speed and ... well ... you might be right ... to difficult for some trap shooters to shoot that type of target presentation.

18. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

I went out to the usual range (Oaktree, Newhall, California) yesterday only to find that all the trap fields were reserved for a shoot. The "continental" field was not. Soooo...having driven all the way out there, I decided to shoot wobble. If there is a difference between wobble and continental,as some insist, I have yet to figure out that difference.Two other disappointed shooters joined me. Both of them are very experienced shooters;I am not. In any event , it turned out to be a very challenging morning for all of us. My companions for the morning discovered what I had learned the first time I attempted wobble; it ain't easy. Because you are allowed two shells to break one target, we found ourselves going through shotshells as though they were free. I now understand why fast lockup time is so important(although it did me little good).I broke quite a few clays on the second shot and missed with both shots more than I care to acknowledge. Nonetheless, I look forward to shooting wobble again. Anyone who doesn't think it is more challenging and difficult than regular trap hasn't tried it. The angles, height of throw and speed of target, afford little, if any,room for error. Vigilance and a willingness to learn new rhythm and patterns and to shoot at angles one never encounters in regular trap are the keywords. I hope to learn and practice those keys. Overall, it was great fun.

19. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

We shoot Jap trap at Shenandale Gun Club, off the side of a mountain. The trap is cranked up and on full wooble up/down and full left/right. Start on Skeet 1 station and work you way around and back, if you are good enough. Most shooter will not make station 7. 1 shot per target. Hit a target and move to the next station. Limit of 5 tries per station. In the last 10 years, they have been 3 people to run it. All 3 were master class sporting clay shooters. It's a tough of a sport as you can shoot. Take care,
    William

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.