1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honing stones

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

a person of very little means wants to know if he can take a wheel cylinder honing stone and clean up the irregular cuts in barrel where its not polished up. I said if you had a boring bar it would work better or gun smith! he said its to hard to clean the barrel in that area and wants it more polished. I said don't forget to use some cutting oil it may take awhile, he said he got plenty of time. Good luck!!!!

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Hopefully this link works

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=barrel+hone/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=barrel_hone

Brownells sells both 'ball hones' and what one might call a 'cylinder hone' (it only has two arms), so he should be OK.

3. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

I can remember when I was pup that my DAD would work for hours on a old MD 12 with a brake cyc. hone that you can buy at the Auto parts store. Some turned out OK, most not!Then there were not the amount of good barrel folks there are now.

TD

4. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

HSLDS, thanks I'll pass that info on.

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You may have to make a longer shank to reach the area you need to. Brake cylinder type hones will work but you should use care to keep them as centered as you can otherwise they will cut to one side. Also keep them moving and never withdraw them while spinning.

6. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Forget the hone, all it will do is put more scratches in your barrel.....same goes for the ball type. If you want to polish it use a flap wheel, or better yet sacrifice a cheap cleaning rod.....cut a slot about 1 inch deep on one end and wrap it with emery cloth....and a high speed drill. Or, use a 12ga mop and polishing compound, and your drill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.