1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honing mech shot bar?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dverna, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Something as simple as a small sanding drum or sandpaper wrapped on a mandrel will get the job done.

Don

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

A few pellets above the shot cup is not a problem. They scrunch down upon firing.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Yes, your shot drops are light with mag shot because shot is dropped by volume. The volumes were originally calculated using soft shot and mag shot is lighter per volume than soft shot because it contains more antimony, which is lighter than lead. A larger bushing will add even more shot above the top of the cup. Leave it alone.

Morgan

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Buy an adjustable charge bar.

Forrest

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think they're aluminum. I just used an old wire brush for cleaning battery terminals on my Hornady bushing. Its not pretty, but it throws the right weight of shot now.

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

If you've got a drill press, its not a hard job to open it up a little. Chuck in a drill bit that' close to the diameter of the hole and drill from the bottom of the bar. I just let the drill bit hone the inside dimensions of the bar and take off a little at a time. You probably are about 10-12 bbs from the correct weight so it does not take much to make it right. Take a bit off, weigh a few and go from there until you get consistent weights at what you need.

7. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

What Bridger said. Start from the bottom. I use a Dremel. Don't worry about if it is round. Looks don't matter. Take a little off, test it and try again.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

In my opinion, charge bars and bushings are intended to be enlarged with a round hand file and reduced with finger nail polish. I have many bushings. Most have either file marks on them or finger nail polish in them. Several have both. I have a nice scale that is used frequently.

Pat Ireland

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

A small wire brush on a drill works great, and will only take a few thousandths out at a time. With a drill its easy to go over.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have always wanted to ask this question. What advantage would be acquired by opening up the bushing/bar for 10 more pellets?

Bob Lawless

11. oletymer

oletymer Member

Bob has the right answer. It only matters to people who need to pratcie more.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

fred- Isn't it sometimes necessary to modify a bushing so that it will drop the powder charge recommended by powder manufacturers? The bushing charts provided by the press manufacturer is only approximate. That is why we use a scale.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.