1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Honing barrel to remove light scratches

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by $$90-T$$, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

Anybody know if a gunsmith hones barrel to remove light scratches, will that change overall choke constriction. Assuming he only takes out 1 or 2 thousands of bore. Hopefully this doesn't sound to stupid but do they hone the entire barrel all the way through or do they stop before the choke. I know if you increase bore size without touching choke the pattern would be tighter... right? Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Almost every gunsmith will have a "ball hone," an abrasive-tipped stiff, stiff brush arrangement which will take out scratches. It takes out so little you can't measure it, so choke is unchanged. It will look like a mirror once it is done. But it won't shoot any better.

Neil

3. $$90-T$$

$$90-T$$ Member

Thanks Neil, much appreciated.

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...and Flex-hone was the name I was trying to think of. You have to use the special oil; other oil will dissolve the tool (they say.) I got mine from Brownells. Medium is pretty harsh but either fine of extra fine will leave your barrel looking better than new.

Neil

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"...You have to use the special oil; other oil will dissolve the tool (they say.)"</I>

I have a special order custom size Flexi that has to be 15 years old. I have used nothing but Safe-T-Kleen cleaning solvent or mineral spirits as a honing fluid and the hone still looks and performs like new.

Morgan

7. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have been useing them on cylinder bores,,Harley engines,,,lifter bores,,,brake caliper slider bores,and as glaze breaker on brake rotors,,and one real ratty mossberg 500 barrell,,,,mostly use ATF for honeing fluid,,,execpt on rotors

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the green Scuffy pads with a drill works good i use a 30cal wire brush with enough pad wraped to be snug in bore any liquid works- water is cheap rick

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I once owned a 20 ga. that shot decent "looking" patterns on paper with various sizes of shot. On game, that decent looking pattern didn't count for much as I had to run down quarry and apply the stick method after the shot! I firmly believe a shotguns barrel internals should be as smooth and concentric as possible to get the most from a scattergun. Patterning on paper only tells one side of the story for some shotguns and sometimes, what you see isn't all there is. The smoother the better and that allows you to shoot more of the cheaper plastic wads without plastic "fowling" as bad. Hap

10. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

A very good thread, how does this method work on chrome lined barrels? good shooting, Big Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to fix scratches in chrome lined barrel

lifter bores scratched

removing light scratches from shotgun bore